Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 PM

36 posts, read 69,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I always read the current topics on this site, but today I thought bringing up a subject that's become quite bothersome to me about county expenditures. I have lived in Port Charlotte for roughly 2 years and one of the aspects this City truly lacks is nice parks and overall landscapes/hardscapes along the main roadways to make it an inviting area. For example, the landscaping on Veteran's Blvd from Kings to US41 is atrocious, next all of 41 to the bridge looks horrible, and the Kings I-75 exit could really use an FDOT Bold Concept. Quite, a few times this year I have seen about 8 Charlotte County employees painting one stop bar at a time(2 painting-6 watching) and I think to myself how can this make any sense to anyone. Please take a look at Toledo Blade and the landscaping of both counties as an example of the importance Sarasota County takes in its street land beautification. Lastly, the parks in this County have a lot to be desired and quite a few are in need of playground equipment replacement and more. Again, I think its a viable topic as improvements in these sectors can be a very cost effective way to promote the area.

Look forward to other comments. Have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
I agree with your observations. I think one thing hurting us is that Port Charlotte is not an incorporated City, but a town in the County. Both Punta Gorda and North Port have municipal governments which may give them more focus on these matters (just a theory). What we know is the streetscapes in both of those areas is very inviting and noticeably different than our own. Another thing I've noticed is a lack of sidewalks. There is no continuous sidewalk on either side of Tamiami Trail from PC to PG. Even in the residential neighborhoods of PC, one has to walk in the street when out exercising. The upside is we do have pretty reasonable property taxes living here and the harbor and rivers bring a lifestyle that makes me love this place, despite its landscape and park shortfalls.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Agree on the sidewalks as well. Streetscapes in my opinion would bring an immediate impact to Port Charlotte in order to promote itself versus PG and North Port.

One can only hope......

Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,941,748 times
100% agree. I'm curious to see what the renovated area of Edgewater will look like. Even the area between Harbor and Gardner, which has the grassy median strip, has such potential but just looks "blaa". About the only place that looks decent is on the west side (or is it the south side??) of 41 between West Tarpon Blvd and Port Charlotte Blvd. I wonder who is responsible for that area; the county or private interests??? It's a shame they don't continue with concept along the entire service road. It would go a long way to making the corridor more attractive.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,562 times
Well for starts.. you /we could take pictures of the 6 , watching 2 work... and send copies to our County Commissioners and the Charlotte Sun and The Country Roads Dept. ( seems everyone I am sitting behind at stop lights, is doing something with their phones and NOT watching the stop light )
Parks for kids? Do kids really play in parks anymore? I do know that maintaining Parks is expensive and that money has to come from somewhere. Mod edit The attitude down here seems to be , No One want's the Guvornment in their wallets.. I think it comes down to just that. Tax Money and how its spent and how much is gathered. You see we are then back to the same old conundrum. No One wants to pay for anything , that does not personally benefit them or their family or maybe a close friend. To Have my house in PGI I would see my taxes close to double , of what I pay here in PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgator22 View Post
Hi everyone
I have lived in Port Charlotte for roughly 2 years and one of the aspects this City truly lacks is nice parks and overall landscapes/hardscapes along the main roadways to make it an inviting area. For example, the landscaping on Veteran's Blvd from Kings to US41 is atrocious, next all of 41 to the bridge looks horrible, Quite, a few times this year I have seen about 8 Charlotte County employees painting one stop bar at a time(2 painting-6 watching) and I think to myself how can this make any sense to anyone. Please take a look at Toledo Blade and the landscaping of both counties as an example of the importance Sarasota County takes in its street land beautification. Lastly, the parks in this County have a lot to be desired and quite a few are in need of playground equipment replacement and more. Look forward to other comments. Have a good one.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-12-2015 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment, to help keep thread focused.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 AM

I don't think PGI is a fair comparison for the tax hike, but yes if it's for the betterment of the City it must be done to some degree. The problem is all these issues school grades, lack of sidewalks, streetscaping, etc create a trickle down effect to the entire area. Again, we need to put money into the town, so we can invite younger educated professional families to move here and raise families etc(on top of the snowbird/retiree crowd). I also understand this will not happen overnight, but a seed needs to be planted at some point. Mod edit

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Keeping it focused on the thread topic.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
Veterans Blvd from Kings Highway to 41 used to have palm trees most of the way down the middle. They took them out and put them along the Veterans just past Yorkshire. I think it either had to do with that being an evacuation route and if the palm trees were to blow over, they would be right in the middle of the road or the other problem was when I drove by and they were mowing they had to go in and out of traffic to mow the grass around the trees. Anyway, I was disappointed when the moved the palm trees because it did look so much better with them.

They did put a new large wide sidewalk all the way down Harbor Blvd from Veterans to US 41 and it looks so much nicer. They keep it mowed and people don't have to walk or ride their bike on the road now.

But, I agree, I like what North Port did to Toledo Blade and Sumter. Punta Gorda has much nicer parks than Port Charlotte.

Bayshore Live Oak Park in Port Charlotte added a new playground. We used to have our Corvette Club picnic there and then they put in the playground, now there is no room to park our cars, so we had to find a new place to have our annual picnic.

So, there are some improvements going on.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM

162 posts, read 301,932 times
Seems like an opportunity for volunteers to gather community donations to improve some parks roadsides.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,562 times
Hahahaha... that aint gunna happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Seems like an opportunity for volunteers to gather community donations to improve some parks roadsides.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 AM

281 posts, read 405,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Agreed. If a small percentage of the residents want fancy playground equipment,lighted ball fields,Olympic quality running tracks, etc.,let them find their own funding for it. Then add the taxpayers expense of legal defense every time someone is hurt.
I personally don't want to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte