Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,244 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to close on a house here in PC at the end of the month. The surveyors came out and did there thing and have the property all marked out with wooden sticks with the red flags. The surveyor showed me the pins buried in the ground that mark the property lines. Every day I take a walk by the house to just give it a look over and I noticed someone had moved one of the markers over giving there yard about 4 extra feet. When I walked in the back yard I noticed the neighbor out in there yard and I had a conversation about the survey being done and how I was going to let them know about putting up a fence. I also stated that before I put up the fence I'd get with them with a copy of the survey I had done and make sure everything was good to go before I got started.
I know the neighbor must of moved the marker but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers right now. If all goes well when the time comes to put my fence up I'll be happy. But if my new neighbor is still having issues I don't want to start off on a bad note. I mean the surveyors report is pretty much the final say as to your property right? I plan on getting my building permit and start laying out my project. I just don't think my new neighbor has it all together upstairs.... I'd still like to keep the peace, but I also want to run my fence right up along side the property line. Any comments, suggestions, etc.... would be appriciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:17 AM

493 posts, read 636,839 times
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet on who moved it and why. If they moved just the stake was it maybe so they could cut the grass or something? I think your approach of showing them the survey before installing the fence is a nice neighborly gesture but in the end it's your land so if they have an issue too bad for them. Mark

Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
If you know where the stake was, simply putting it back where it should be *should* be enough of a message.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 AM

152 posts, read 221,707 times
Take pictures of progress, daily if possible.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:41 AM

281 posts, read 406,048 times
Move the stake back where it belongs. Anyone that moves a surveyor stake for any reason is a horse's a--. If they needed to move it to mow, they were mowing on your side. They are probably hoping you give them the extra 4' they have been using.

Just saw one yesterday. The house on 1 lot was using a lot and a half. Now someone bought the vacant adjoining lot and had it surveyed. They already have 1/2 a lot of nice grass and shrubs.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Put the stake back and spray a little orange paint around it or a small dot on the road. I once had stakes moved in on both sides of a property and after using the paint they left them alone. No conflict and they turned out to be good neighbors.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
I like the addition of the orange surveyors paint! Moving the stakes back is one thing but the paint would be a little added - "don't f' around" message, but subtle.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,244 times
Thanks for the good tips..... I know the marker wasn't moved to mow. The surveyor had to chop down some growth about two feet back to get at the metal pin. It's easy to find again if they where to remove the wood marker. Plus I'll have the surveyors report showing the exact location.
I'd move the marker back and spray paint the location, but I think the neighbor might get all worked up. There pretty old and I don't want to mess with them like that. I'll just wait until I get settled in and start plotting out my fence with string. I am sure they'll take notice and come out to investigate. Hopefully all will be at peace with the universe.... I'll make an update once things get going.....

Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
"don't f' around" message, but subtle.
I like it

Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Don't do the fence yourself. Permitting is a real PITA. Go get a fence contractor and just have it done. The fence company will handle the corners, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte