Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM

493 posts, read 636,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
So would mine be working to enhance the proper air flow direction, since it brings outside air in from the bottom of the attic and forces it upward toward the ridge vents or should I not use this thing?
MA, the fan in your garage is probably there to exhaust hot air out of the garage to make it more comfortable and not necessarily for increased attic ventilation. Don't think it would have any negative effect on either area. You mentioned seeing some that go the other way which I don't understand why they would do that. Does seem backwards. Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 AM

493 posts, read 636,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
My exhaust fan only kicks on when the temp is over xxx degrees in the attic. I forget what they set it at but wouldn't keeping the temperature down up there be a good thing? The exhaust is on a thermostat so it's not like it's constantly running.

Don't see how that could be a bad thing? I'm not being argumentative, it just seems to me that it'd make sense to keep the temp down.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The main concern is that you have plenty of ventilation and having an attic fan the runs occassionally I don't think will harm anything but might be a matter of efficiency of running a fan versus natural convection even though the attic temps are being reduced somewhat. Personally if I have good insulation, good soffit ventilation, and good High mounted exhaust vents, I wouldn't run a fan. Mark (99RedVertM6)

Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 AM

704 posts, read 771,659 times
I think you may have misunderstood what I mean. The type of attic fan, maybe it has a different name but that is how I have always heard them referred to, is designed to cool the entire house. The first house that I owned had one and it worked really well to cool the interior of the house until the outdoor temps reached about 90 degrees or so.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
AH, so you're talking about one that actually goes into the ceiling of the house, typically in a hallway, and blows air from the living area into the attic?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Yes! My terminology was incorrect they are called whole house fans. I know the house I had one in was wonderful. We didn't have to turn on the A/C until the end of June. Would come home from work and flip it on, raise a few windows and within 5 minutes the house was very comfortable even in the Texas heat. With the cost of electricity I'm rather surprised that they are no longer used.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
These were really popular in New England back in the day - not sure if they still are. I'm thinking in SWF, the temp and humidity conditions are only right maybe 3 months out of the year. And then you've got another hole in the house for your insurance guy to wonder about. You'd probably save more by installing roll-down shutters on the West side of the house, and you get hurricane protection to boot.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:03 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
ahhhhh...the whole house fan. Yes, a completely different animal. When I was house hunting here, I saw one house with one. Seemed like a good idea but haven't thought twice about getting one since. Opening up all doors and windows, while running ceiling fans seems to serve the same purpose for me.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 AM

That's what I was thinking about the temperature and humidity whether it would really be that useful. Also if one would potentially create a mold problem from having the windows open and getting so much humidity into a house.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Yep, humidity is not your friend. I'd suspect most people have, or are about to fire up the A/C's and let 'em run until Winter for that reason alone. But I'm guessin'

Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 PM

165 posts, read 254,052 times
Not enough of both cool and low humidity days to be worth the time, in my opinion. More or less constant breeze also lets one just open a doors/windows for about the same effect. Once modern AC came available I suspect the whole house fan went the way of the buggy whip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte