Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times

Advertisements

I am just so glad I never ran into any of these problems ever..( I didnt even deal with these issues when we bought in Mexico) Our Last purchase with the help of a realtor came down to.. We found what we wanted and we made an offer $15K lower than the asking price, a few hours later we wrote an earnest check about 45 days later we wired the remainder.. 2 years later you cannot find anything like what we bought, even if you add another $50K to the offer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times
That fee thing is pure b.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
99% of agencies (especially large agencies) do charge what is called a "transaction fee". Most companies charge $300-$800 for this fee, ask your agent if they charge a fee before you begin to work with them, if it's a concern. Sometimes they label it as a "processing fee". When I worked for Re/Max and Prudential they charged this fee. I was never comfortable with this charge so when I opened my own company I decided I would not charge this (in my opinion) junk fee, to my client. It always made me uncomfortable trying to explain this to my client and I just ended up paying the fee out of my commission, which left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care how you slice it or dice it or what you want to call it, I feel that it's an unnecessary junk fee. If I don't have to charge this fee then others don't either. I felt like it was going to finance the brokers Lexus....

Yes, all agents in the state of FL are transaction agents, unless otherwise stated via a single agent agreement.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
That fee thing is pure b.s.
Totally with ya! It just makes everyone feel so uncomfortable. The agents resent it and the buyers/sellers hate it. Sometimes the buyers/sellers don't even realize that the agent has paid the fee for them but you can bet your last dollar that the agent is not happy about it.

You wont find many agents talking about it because nearly all of them charge "the fee". You'll hear crickets on the subject. Cant stand it....

Last edited by SoFLGal; 04-06-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM

92 posts, read 228,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
99% of agencies (especially large agencies) do charge what is called a "transaction fee". Most companies charge $300-$800 for this fee, ask your agent if they charge a fee before you begin to work with them, if it's a concern. Sometimes they label it as a "processing fee". When I worked for Re/Max and Prudential they charged this fee. I was never comfortable with this charge so when I opened my own company I decided I would not charge this (in my opinion) junk fee, to my client. It always made me uncomfortable trying to explain this to my client and I just ended up paying the fee out of my commission, which left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't care how you slice it or dice it or what you want to call it, I feel that it's an unnecessary junk fee. If I don't have to charge this fee then others don't either. I felt like it was going to finance the brokers Lexus....

Yes, all agents in the state of FL are transaction agents, unless otherwise stated via a single agent agreement.

The last part of your question is a bit more detailed. If you're talking about termite problems, the agent can order a free termite inspection from various pest control companies. If the home is owned by someone other than a bank or flipper, then you will most likely get a sellers disclosure that will (hopefully) disclose any known issues or problems that have been fixed. If the home is bank owned/investor owned, meaning they have no prior knowledge or history of the home then you will not get a sellers disclosure because they cannot tell you what previous problems the home may have had. I always recommend a good home inspector who can find potential problems.

The big box store question is kind of tricky. If the agent has knowledge of something that may effect the desirability of the property then he/she should disclose this info. Generally, if the agent is paying attention there would have been some type of news coverage or chatter in the community about this type of thing.

I was born and raised in this area, I will most likely see most of my clients at the grocery store, library, restaurant, etc. I want them passing out my cards to people, not speaking poorly of me. It's just how do business.
Thank you for taking the time to explain the ways of the real estate world in Florida!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM

401 posts, read 534,386 times
I would hire an independant house inspector. We had him to show up at the same time as the realtor came to show us the house. I based my decision on buying upon his report. Inspector did an excellent job.

It gave us the security that all was in order.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Part of why are closing took 45 days.. we gave an earnest deposit to show we were not just out looking but it all depended on a house inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
I would hire an independant house inspector. We had him to show up at the same time as the realtor came to show us the house. I based my decision on buying upon his report. Inspector did an excellent job.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 PM

92 posts, read 228,822 times
Quote:

You had the house inspected the first time you looked at the house?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaleka View Post
I waited until we agreed on a mutual price after a little negotiation and we had a signed contract.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 AM

401 posts, read 534,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkaleka View Post
I sure did. The realtor didn`t even know I had one lined up. Hey, it`s my money and a free world. I wouldn`t trust any inspection laid out by anyone else than an inspector I choose.

Our inspector was Kirby Rowe with Progressive Home Inspections 941 627 1086. I was very impressed with his performance and inspection. I think I paid $ 300,- cheap!

Most of us don`t know much about all the technicalities with buying a house..and some issues are special for Florida too (pools, termites etc). IMO, an independant home inspection is an absolute must.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Quote:

We had our inspector do a second walk through with us the morning before we closed to make sure all items he found from first walk through (for which we were not present) were completed.

Inspector also showed us how all systems worked or should work. Well worth the 90.00

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte