U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM

51 posts, read 218,858 times

Advertisements

Any info on buying lots on Rotonda Sands?
Is it a desirable area?
Any problems/issues that I should be aware of (scrub jay / flood area / water / sewer)?
What about price range - any forecast for 2008 prices?
Would you consider a good investment (plan to build a house in 5 years)?

Thanks! Any info is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM

360 posts, read 1,293,199 times
No scrub jays, there is an annual assessment added to your annual taxes for the sewer and potable water lines. There is already city water. The prices right now are LOW. You can pick up lots under $10K now, even for $5K if you find a person just wanting to cut their losses. The entire peninsula is a flood zone pretty much. I would not build there anytime soon. If you buy LOW now to hold for several years, i think you could do pretty well because you are only about 2-3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and this land is residential. I bought in 2004 and sold last year after a big run up... I drive through there daily and right now there is too much land and many unfinished houses from the collapse of Coast Financial... Buy and hold---> yes. Buying to build---> No, too much competition with other new homes...

If you can pick up something inside the Rotonda Circle, especially in Pine Valley or White Marsh, that is what I would do since they are golf course communities with high end houses. The lots in Rotonda Sands are too small and with Charlotte County setbacks, you probably will not get a pool on the lot...

Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Rotonda Sands Lots

2peaches2oranges, thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it!!!!
I think the option to buy and hold for a long time suits me well.
A couple of additional questions (if you have the time to answer )
* Are there any specific areas that you recommend/do not recommend inside Rotonda Sands (East/West/North/South)? (or the lots are pretty much all the same inside RS), what about a "corner" X "cul de sac" lot?
* When buying a lot there, are there any special precautions that I should take? Like how do I check if the lot has any liens etc...

Again, thanks a lot! Have a very nice 2008. God bless!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,293,199 times
* Are there any specific areas that you recommend/do not recommend inside Rotonda Sands (East/West/North/South)?

I would stay to the Western and Southern end Sands. There you are surrounded by preserve land, rather than industrial (on the north side) and Gasparilla Road (to the east). Look for a lot that is at least 10000 square feet, many of the lots are 7500 or less in the sands and you will have a hard time fitting a pool or a good floorplan. Thus, the cul-de-sac lots will cut into your home plans. Look for a cul-de-sac, dead end street, but the lots need to be DEEP, at least 125 or so. I would not build on the main streets - like Harness or Brig because of traffic issues.

* When buying a lot there, are there any special precautions that I should take? Like how do I check if the lot has any liens etc...

When you buy, get title insurance. The title company or attorney handling your purchase will check for liens. I would not pay more than $10K for a lot in there right now. There is just too much competition to keep prices up...

I would call around to local builders with the lot address that you are thinking about buying. They will tell you what you can build and what you cannot build because of the setback rules and septic/sewer rules, etc.... It will open your eyes the limitations faced because of the small lot sizes in there.

I would also look at Rotonda Lakes, Rotonda Heights and South Gulf Cove...

Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it

Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 22,165 times
I don't recommend to buy in the Sands even if you look for a long term investment. Lot sizes are not large enough, there are not many attractive lots, means the most attractive (maybe 3%) will be built first, the rest will stay empty for many years or tens of years to come.

Look at South Gulf Cove - I personally dont like it at all - some beautiful homes directly on the water, then thousands of empty lot across the street. Not a smart investment, unless another real estate boom is coming. And they always come and go...

Buy in Rotonda West, preferably Pine Valley or maybe White Marsh. The most attractive area, with Golf Courses, 32 miles of canals, new and nice homes. You can pick up a nice building lot right now for 45K. Market in there will go up again soon, then you can either sell or build.

Just my 2 cents as a local (investor & builder).

Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 AM

3,640 posts, read 6,633,248 times
there are lots of lots (pardon the pun) in the Heights at good prices- we overpaid for ours last year yes but we got what we wanted-for us it will be our dream home. We got a pie shaped lot at the end of a cu de sac and can fit a 2000 sq foot home and pool on nicely. Carl if you need some names for a builder who can advise on sizes pm me. and good luck.

Ps the taxes on our vacant lot dropped to $500 for the year (or for us 250 British) pounds- I spend more on gas a month !

Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM

40 posts, read 286,355 times
In Rotonda Sands you are going to be limited to the width of the home you build in order to fit on the lot within the prescribed setbacks (I believe the maximum width is 45 feet). There is also a minimum square footage required for building houses in areas of Rotonda, and any builder you decide to use should know this information. Check out other areas of Rotonda or South Gulf Cove for lots as well as there are always bargains if you find the right seller.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Default Thanks!

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. In fact, I've just bought a pie-shaped on a cul-de-sac as well on Rotonda Lakes, I'm not ready to build yet (I don't like debt and always wait until I have the money to afford it) but will contact when I'm ready.

This site has been very helpfull and made me decide to buy on the Rotonda area and I'm sure it will help other people see that now is a very good time to buy lots there as it is one of the few remaining affordable areas on the coastal US.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM

3,640 posts, read 6,633,248 times
Carl-welcome to the club, what are the dimensions of your lot ? You can find them on the Charlotte County Appraiser web site if you didnt get them on the slaes literature.

That way you can work out a house size.

Would add that ion the Uk anything over 1600 sq ft is considered big -thats a good size 4 bedroom family home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>