Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
A 15' storm surge here would result in scores of deaths. Highly unlikely but if that were to ever occur, property damage would be low on our list of concerns.
Well said. Just pointing out it can happen but highly unlikely. Katrina had over a 27ft.surge with 130 mph winds when it landed, Over 1,800 deaths. Charlies winds were in the same range when it struck but the surge was not there. Sandy flooded over 70,000 homes in NJ alone and flooded my home along with other posters. My home was 3ft. above bfe. Just letting posters know it can happen as you are kind enough to start this yearly thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,544 times
Funny at this year's thread has generated more conversation in the post season than in-season. I love it. For the benefit of readers and potential future residents, there are waterfront (or back, really) canal homes that are at much higher elevations than flood level. You just trade off in a longer boat ride out to the harbor or rivers.

My home, a rare gem of base flood elevation (according to WPC), with Gulf access is at 16'. It would take a flood of biblical proportions for water to rise from the canal into my house. My optional flood insurance costs $400.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,182 times
QUESTION? Katrina and Sandy Both came in from Open Ocean.. Does that make a huge difference with potential surge. Boca Pass Is a Double Jetty of sorts..Jettys have been built to reduce and even stop storm surge and waves for over 2000 years.. Didn't the Romans built even by todays standards , a HUGE Jetty for Capernaum?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:44 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,312 times
16'???? wow that's a nice bit of cushion. Last year in talking with a couple of builders in PGI about a home, I inquired about going a couple of feet above BFE (which is usually around 9.5'). They were doing spec houses about 1.5" above that. We then talked about Key West style homes but the cost of driving concrete footings was going to be ridiculous. We have a friend who did a house like that down there, and the amount of footings required was ginormous (it was a big house though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Funny at this year's thread has generated more conversation in the post season than in-season. I love it. For the benefit of readers and potential future residents, there are waterfront (or back, really) canal homes that are at much higher elevations than flood level. You just trade off in a longer boat ride out to the harbor or rivers.

My home, a rare gem of base flood elevation (according to WPC), with Gulf access is at 16'. It would take a flood of biblical proportions for water to rise from the canal into my house. My optional flood insurance costs $400.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
QUESTION? Katrina and Sandy Both came in from Open Ocean.. Does that make a huge difference with potential surge. Boca Pass Is a Double Jetty of sorts..Jettys have been built to reduce and even stop storm surge and waves for over 2000 years.. Didn't the Romans built even by todays standards , a HUGE Jetty for Capernaum?
Mac is this a quiz? We had barrier islands in NJ. Some areas washed 4 or 5 blocks of homes into the bay and the ocean rushed into the mainland for a week or two. Do you want me to say this area can't have the same results. Remember Andrew. If you think it can't and won't happen I won't. Ask the 72,000 people in nj who thought they were protected by jetties and barrier islands if there houses can flood.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Mac is this a quiz? We had barrier islands in NJ. Some areas washed 4 or 5 blocks of homes into the bay and the ocean rushed into the mainland for a week or two. Do you want me to say this area can't have the same results. Remember Andrew. If you think it can't and won't happen I won't. Ask the 72,000 people in nj who thought they were protected by jetties and barrier islands if there houses can flood.
1 of 72000 says yes they flood.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,182 times
if it needs to be for me to better grasp the differences between here and there and everywhere Andrew ? For me was 29 years and 1200 away ? My folks lived in Lakeland at the time and saw very little damage.. Really ANYTHING Can Happen just about anywhere.. We sold our Home in IL. a week later and a month before we closed, we were hit by numerous micro burst.. 2 hit our property.. The damage was extensive a 40+ mile path ..We had no electrical for 10 days.. ( OK OK I had generators : ) Tornados had hit all around us for as long as time itself, but none had ever hit that town.. We closed on time and a Year later if you didn't know there had been a lot more trees previously, you would never known what had happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

Old 01-07-2016, 04:30 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,036 times
Well here we are January 7th and there is an extratropical Storm forming and heading for Florida

Gary

Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 PM

As of 3:25 pm EST Thu Jan 7 2016 ...
An extratropical low pressure system centered about 425 miles west-
southwest of Bermuda is producing a large area of gale force winds
and maximum winds of 60 to 65 mph. Environmental conditions are not
expected to be conducive for subtropical or tropical cyclone
formation through the weekend while the low moves east-northeastward
into the central Atlantic Ocean. However, conditions could become
conducive for this system to acquire some subtropical
characteristics while it moves east-southeastward into the eastern
subtropical Atlantic Ocean by the middle of next week. The next
Special Tropical Weather Outlook on this system will be issued by
3 PM EST Friday. For additional information on this system, please
see High Seas Forecasts issued by the National Weather Service.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 PM

It will probably turn out to be nothing but not normal for January
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread-image.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte