Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 PM

141 posts, read 211,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I found a bonding wire from the meter/panel going to the nearest hose bib. Now, my house was converted from copper to cpvc pipes many years ago, so I pulled on the hose bib and it came right out of the wall....wasn't grounded to anything. To make matters worse there were NO ground rods anywhere. Basically my system wasn't bonded or grounded for many years. I ended up driving in new ground rods myself.
Water pipe grounds were never good grounds due to things that increase impedance including sharp bends and lead solder joints. Low impedance means a connection to earth that is as short as possible (ie less than 10 feet), no sharp bends (ground wire cannot go up, over and down foundation - too many sharp bends), not inside metallic conduit, and no splices.

Most electricians do not even understand this. Electricians are taught what is necessary for human safety. Transistor safety means that same ground must exceed code requirements for low impedance, single point, etc.

'Whole house' protectors were once sold in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. Prices are now higher. But this is critical (do not know if FPL protector meets this requirement). Lightning can be 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector is 50,000 amps. Because even direct lightning strikes must not cause protector damage. In some venues (ie FL), a 100,000 amp protector may be more desirable.

That amp number is protector life expectancy over many surges. Quality of protection for each surge is determined by the quality of and connection to earth ground. If a 'whole house' solution still results in damage or breaker trips, then the earthing system is a first thing inspected.

Above only discusses the 'secondary' protection system. Your primary protection layer is defined by another earth ground installed by the utility (ie FPL) and located on every transformer or telephone pole. Homeowners are encouraged to also inspect the item that defines that surge protection layer - earth ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
So we have our 4th named storm of the season. Danny is forcast to reach Cat 2 status by tomorrow but faces a lot of dry air and upper level wind shear between here and there. Will be tracking for many days, if he lasts that long.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 11,224 times
Hope it dissipates!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Danny is a Hurricane...see how long he lasts.

FPL's rep came by and installed my Surge Protector at the meter. Took about 5 minutes.
Got my security cameras up and running again. (I see you!)

Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 PM

Just had high winds and sideways rain here in Murdock. Forcast says passing showers for the next couple of hours. Just got warning gusts to 40 are possible for PG and PC. Don't launch your boat!
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread-image.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 PM

325 posts, read 507,197 times
A lot of rain in PGI. Big light show but no noise. All calm now.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Danny is done! It's not even a named storm anymore!!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Tropical Storm ERIKA

And here comes Erika. 'Tis the season.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 AM

It is beginning to look more and more likely that Erica will become a low level hurricane. Is also very important to remember that these model runs are many days out and are just forecasts from a computer, as well.

As has been stated by many more qualified expert so then I, June is the time to put your plan in action not August. So if you have not already organized your plan you may as well evacuate now..... Totally kidding !

How do you think I feel? I might have to go through this with one arm. It is a good thing I don't have to put up shutters ( I picked a good year to install impact windows) or go buy a generator or buy 10 cases of water. About the only thing left I would have to do at this point if we were to go under a warning would be to purchase fuel for my generator, fill both BBQ propane bottles and secure the boat on the lift.

Here's the latest spaghetti model run.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Most models now have Erika skipping Southwest FL.
(happy dance)
This is why we tall about it. To ward off the bad joo joo.
Attached Thumbnails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte