Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:33 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I left school at 16 ,hated the whole damn time, no way was I studying any more for a degree in WHAT ?

Spent 16 years working for a guy who taught me everything, a professor in life and building.

Never been out of work, claimed benefits or blamed anyone when I (occasionally) screw up.

The University of Life may not hand out awards but its a great place to learn.
Sounds familiar - read my book. The eBook (Kindle) version is free today on a promo. Me old china James in London said it was OK ! Offer a review on Amazon when you do please!

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Boy-Travel...mm_pap_title_0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:54 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
It really doesn't matter what your degree is in, or what some of the classes are that you've taken. If the jobs in the field that you're after aren't available locally, you have to leave the nest, take a chance, and go for it. Or, modify you goals, put off your dream job, and stay and probably alter your financial goals as well.
That's not quite true. There are many jobs in IT where you can work remotely. Your job can be based in a higher cost of living state, where you are paid more than if your job was based in Florida. Yet, you could live in Florida where the cost of living is lower than many other areas, which would make your money go a lot farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I agree that selecting the wrong degree/career would really suck. $$$$ I must assume that if somone spends 6 years getting a masters before they realize there is no real call for their "new skill set" that they have made Numerous other bad choices along the way.. As for the OP's Original Question? Its been stated already IIRC.. Charlotte County for all intents and purposes is a HUGE Residential Community.. There Really is NO INDUSTRY Here.. You need to open a business you can charge retirees $50-$100 an hr. for .......and then find people to work for YOU that will work for the SWF going rate of income $10-$15 an hr and then try to 1099 your employees..
There is BTW an Excellent Marine Mechanics School In The Miami Area and it appears you will make No Less Than $70 an hour after 1 year of school.. as long as you work for yourself!! 3 days a week = $84,000 a year.. I have to ask why there is a shortage of Mobile Marine Mechanics??
Working in the right trade is another option, as long as there is a very high return on investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Sorry guys I wasn't putting down a degree in business. When specialized in a certain area it will certainly help to land a good job in that area, no question. But I've met many who obtained a business degree without having the "business sense" to back it up, or even an area of business they want to work in..."business degree" is very vague.

A degree isn't worth squat without common sense, and that goes for any degree. Business degrees are one of the better ones, but I agree with Rex....there are some ridiculous ones these days that do nothing but put the student/parent in debt.
The photo of the person holding the sign "Masters of Arts degree in Women's Studies, which works as a bartender job, owes $60K in student loans, lives on food stamps and WIC to support her son" is a priceless example of what NOT to do!

If I was in your situation, only 30 years old and had a business degree, I would go a technical school. You could get a two year IT degree in probably about 1 year by transferring credits. The two year degree in IT would absolutely change your life! I'm speaking from experience. I did that at age 40. Before age 40, I was making less than $20K a year, working at lousy customer service jobs, lousy hours, and lousy working conditions. I went back to school and got a two year degree in Computer Networking in 1 year plus 1 quarter. When I graduated with the two year IT degree, IT was very hot, it was a couple years before the famous Y2K! I ended up with two job offers at the same time. I picked one of the two jobs and I've been working in IT at the same company for 17 years after graduating.

Here's the reason you should take my advise. You will only sacrifice about a year of your life to get the IT degree, maybe two years at the maximum. IT is very hot right now and will be very hot for at least a decade. There are severe shortages in IT. Companies can't find enough IT workers. After you graduate, you will be starting at about $40K with zero experience. After about 10 to 15 years, you will be making over $100K. That change will dramatically and absolutely change your life. I started at a little under $40K 17 years ago in IT and after 15 years, I am making over $100K, not counting all the investment money that I also earn. My wife also works in IT, also making six figures.

You might be thinking that IT is beyond your abilities. Nearly all of my relatives are working in IT and IT is a challenge for them compared to myself, where IT is easy for me. There are many small nitches in IT where you can master the sector since the scope is so limited, even if your not very talented in IT.

One other very important part of life is to live below your means, well below your means if you can afford it. If you work at a high paying job, saving a lot of money, then you will very likely become a millionaire after about two decades of work, that will be when you are in your mid 50s. When you have a higher income job, you can invest more money in a well diversified manner. Over time, your investments will boost your income even higher. It's like getting the income from a second job, without having to work the second job. You will then be able to retire early, live where ever you want, and have a good standard of living.

It won't be easy to go back to school and work hard being at the top of your class. However, the effort will be worth it. Getting an education in a very high rate of return field will set you up for life. Or, you could continue working at customer service jobs making very little, saving probably little to nothing. Maybe you'll never be able to afford retirement then, or retire in poverty.

The choice is up to you.

Last edited by davephan; 05-16-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I left school at 16 ,hated the whole damn time, no way was I studying any more for a degree in WHAT ?

Spent 16 years working for a guy who taught me everything, a professor in life and building.

Never been out of work, claimed benefits or blamed anyone when I (occasionally) screw up.

The University of Life may not hand out awards but its a great place to learn.
Or it's sister institution of higher learning, the School of Hard Knocks.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,269 times
Did you try the Career Source Center in Port Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte