Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 PM

249 posts, read 321,385 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I am a firm believer in volunteering. From the teens and earlier through retirement.
I am 62 and retired about a year ago, so I have some more good years ahead of me to help others. Once we get moved to North Port and settled in I will continue that lifelong mission.
So, do you volunteer and if so where?
I have volunteered for the American Red Cross, Habitat For Humanity and several other groups and found it fulfilling.
I don't have any ideas yet, but hope to do something new, fulfilling and important to someone.

Last edited by mktobob; 05-10-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
We volunteer through our church.. Contact just about any church for a list.. H4H is one for sure there is a soup kitchen looking for help on FRidays 11AM - 5 PM.. Lots of chances to help the elderly.. I am on a go to list, for my skill sets..

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM

Someone once told me that there is a special place in heaven for volunteers. That sounds good to me cause I need all the help I can get!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Send me a DM and I will drop by the church and get a list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktobob View Post
Someone once told me that there is a special place in heaven for volunteers. That sounds good to me cause I need all the help I can get!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:32 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
When I lived in Maryland I volunteered at a volunteer fire house and with a local fishing club that puts on programs to interest kids in fishing. When I moved here in FL I was disappointed to say the least that not only don't we have any local volunteer fire houses but that my training and experience (26 years in the District of Columbia FD) didn't count for squat.
I've since joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary but it just doesn't fulfill the comradery of a fire house.
I have looked into the Peace River Search & Rescue Asso. but unfortunately their training programs run for the months during the time me and the family spend up north. Guess I'll keep looking!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
I live in IslandWalk and we have a wonderful in-community volunteer opportunity. The community partners with the All Faiths Food Bank and packs 'weekend food backpacks" for about 250 kids who attend 4 different schools in North Port. The kids are identified by the school counselors as being in a "food insecurity" situation, and enrolled in the program. The food bank supplies the food, and every two weeks we have a backpack day. About 40 volunteers show up, the food is packed, and then drivers deliver the food to the schools to be distributed to the participating kids on Friday afternoon.

In addition to all the volunteer hours, the community raises enough money each year to reimburse the food bank for the cost of feeding about 80 children. This amount totals around $13,000. We also recently started using funds from donations and fundraisers to fund half the cost of a food pantry at one school.

It's really a great program, and it's all right here in the neighborhood. This school year, our volunteers will have put in more than 1300 hours.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
There are an abundance of opportunities to volunteer in this community at hospitals, not profit organizations and others. I am a volunteer with the Gulf Coast Golden Retriever Rescue. I attend events to help recruit fosters and adopters and I hold an annual garage sale fundraiser at my home for them. I also belong to several clubs where we raise funds and donate to non-profits.

If you are looking for places that need volunteers, go to www.employflorida.com. Select Charlotte County and under Keywords type in Volunteer. It will give you a list of current organizations that are in need of volunteers.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

These posts are great to see. Strong volunteers help create strong communities. It's also a proven fact that volunteers get just as much out of volunteering as the recipients do.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:25 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Wife and I cannot wait to move to our PG home full time. We both want to V at Peace River Wildlife Center!

http://peaceriverwildlifecenter.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: