Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 AM

463 posts, read 866,561 times

Advertisements

As someone who buys and cooks alot of fish. It will never be as fresh and tasty as when you cartch it and cook it yourself. Even the fresh fish I purchase is at least 12 and more like 24 hrs old. It is caught and iced down some of the boats stay out for a week before hitting the docks. HH is right about where most of the seafood served in restaurants is from. Today I paid $ 11.75 for black grouper fillets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Add this to the mix.. Many maybe most dont bother to gut it before iceing it down and that adds to the nastyness..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
As someone who buys and cooks alot of fish. It will never be as fresh and tasty as when you cartch it and cook it yourself. Even the fresh fish I purchase is at least 12 and more like 24 hrs old. It is caught and iced down some of the boats stay out for a week before hitting the docks. HH is right about where most of the seafood served in restaurants is from. Today I paid $ 11.75 for black grouper fillets

Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
had lunch today at Gasparilla Marina they had redfish on the menu

Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
had lunch today at Gasparilla Marina they had redfish on the menu
Hmmmmm....interesting because Commercial Harvest and sale of Red Drum is prohibited in the State of Florida and throughout the Gulf Coast region.

Red Drum Management Plans : Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council

And from Wikipedia :
From 1980 through 1988, commercial fishermen took an average of 28% of the redfish while sport fishermen harvested 72 percent. Catch limits and size restrictions have increased the average weight of redfish caught in Louisiana coastal waters.[11] Restrictions on both sport and commercial fishermen allowed the species to rebuild. States actively vary the recreational catch limits and minimum and maximum lengths in order to help maintain sustainable red drum populations. Executive Order 13449 of October 20, 2007, issued by U.S. President George W. Bush, designated the red drum as a protected game fish. The order prohibits sale of red drum caught in Federal waters and encourages states to consider designating red drum as a protected game fish within state waters.[12] While they may no longer be commercially harvested in U.S. federal waters or in most state waters, they are readily caught and still enjoyed as table fare by many. In addition, farm raised redfish are still available as a commercial product [13] Commercial netting disappeared after coastal states like Florida declared red drum prohibited for sale. Recreational size and bag limits have been highly effective, allowing daily limits to be increased in recent years.

Wonder what they were really serving there.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:22 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Hmmmmm....interesting because Commercial Harvest and sale of Red Drum is prohibited in the State of Florida and throughout the Gulf Coast region.

Imported from Mexico or Vietnam

Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 AM

http://www.gasparillamarina.com/imag...LLMENU2014.pdf Advertised as being from Louisiana

So let me get this straight... It was $20 plus tip For a Fried Fish Sandwich ( fish was frozen and from Vietnam) a handful of fries and a coke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post

Red Drum Management Plans : Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council

And from Wikipedia :
From 1980 through 1988, commercial fishermen took an average of 28% of the redfish while sport fishermen harvested 72 percent. Catch limits and size restrictions have increased the average weight of redfish caught in Louisiana coastal waters.[11] Restrictions on both sport and commercial fishermen allowed the species to rebuild. States actively vary the recreational catch limits and minimum and maximum lengths in order to help maintain sustainable red drum populations. Executive Order 13449 of October 20, 2007, issued by U.S. President George W. Bush, designated the red drum as a protected game fish. The order prohibits sale of red drum caught in Federal waters and encourages states to consider designating red drum as a protected game fish within state waters.[12] While they may no longer be commercially harvested in U.S. federal waters or in most state waters, they are readily caught and still enjoyed as table fare by many. In addition, farm raised redfish are still available as a commercial product [13] Commercial netting disappeared after coastal states like Florida declared red drum prohibited for sale. Recreational size and bag limits have been highly effective, allowing daily limits to be increased in recent years.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 AM

I was a guest and had the cod anyway....$15 for lunch looking at that...food was good..the marina has always been pricey

Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 AM

God Bless Retirees and The Snow Birds Double hahaha That should be printed on Big Banners and Be Hanging at The City Entrance Everywhere in CC!!
Quote:
I was a guest and had the cod anyway....$15 for lunch looking at that...food was good..the marina has always been pricey

Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 AM

I have always thought all the 'water' eateries charge extra for the view/ambience whatever....yea $15 for cod and chips is punchy but it was darn good and my philosophy has always been I would rather pay more for good than less for cr@p...

I just checked out the Celtic ray which also has darn good f&c $11/17 depending on size ...so its a bit over maybe 2-3 bucks.......

Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 AM

I agree Whole Heartedly..We like Celtic Ray and go a couple times a year.. We go to a number of places a couple times a year. We most often eat at home but we do eat out with some regularity. I see Much of this area as a tourist area..Yes We and many of you live here full time , but we are to some extent tourist.. We ( Retirees and Snowbirds) dont work here and we have more disposible income than the majority of the locals who live and work here.. When I think about it , its not all that much different than Cozumel was..
Quote:
I have always thought all the 'water' eateries charge extra for the view/ambience whatever....yea $15 for cod and chips is punchy but it was darn good and my philosophy has always been I would rather pay more for good than less for cr@p...

I just checked out the Celtic ray which also has darn good f&c $11/17 depending on size ...so its a bit over maybe 2-3 bucks.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte