Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,547,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Honestly, why build when you can buy existing for much less than new construction. Just a fact of life. Lots of available inventory.
There are pluses to building. You get the house exactly as you want it and have to change/upgrade/paint/fix anything. It will be built to the latest codes for wind, flood, etc so insurance should probably be cheaper. And there are probably other pluses that I'm not thinking of...

However, that said; I tend to agree Restrain that you'll get "more house" for the money if you buy existing. There's absolutely no way we would be getting the house we are on a 1/2 acre canal front if we were building new. Far less headaches too if I recall what my Father when through building their house. He started with a full head of hair and was dead bald before moving in.

(no offense to builders!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,517,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Honestly, why build when you can buy existing for much less than new construction. Just a fact of life. Lots of available inventory.
But, Isn't that gap closing? Inventory is getting older, lots of the best deals on newer builds is going or gone and more and more boomers are retiring and driving up demand. It's kind of pay me now or pay me later, especially big ticket repairs like roofs and air conditioners. Besides, like mrsunshine says, who doesn't want that new house smell if you can afford it.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,266,899 times
I skimmed through the Rotonda HOA PDF. I'm not sure what happens if you have more than two cars and have a two car garage if you can't park overnight on the driveway. You might have a visitor that stays for weeks with nowhere to park their car. I'm not sure how you deal with those situations.

I'm not sure if you could have a backup power generator, because it could create noise after 10 PM during a power outage. Maybe you could have Tesla batteries to supply power between 10 PM and 8:30 AM.

I looked for language that prohibits gardens and didn't see any. Although, when looking at many properties listed, I haven't seen any gardens yet. It would be a shame if you couldn't have a garden in a place where you have the climate that allow you to garden all year round.

The business language sounded like they were mainly concerned about people coming and going from the homes, not telecommuting workers, although there was language about using the telephone for business. So, I'm not sure if you could telecommute and how that could bother any of your neighbors.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:24 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,129,770 times
everyone parks on their drive in Rotonda...I think its trucks/work vehicles with signage not allowed

Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,264,188 times
When in doubt make an actual call/contact with a HOA REP. As for gardens? Are you talking Vegetable Gardens? There are none in my neighborhood either or my brothers or my moms and in fact I know no one down here who are raising veggies... We raise a few herbs for cooking and 2 kinds of mint for salads and Mojitos Clements Vegetable Stand is close by and reasonablely priced and there are the Farmers Markets.. For us and eveidently everyone we know, those days are over and gone with, no more dealing with bugs and rabbits and weeding and when they finally come in THEY COME IN! Flowers and plants etc etc we have those.. and it seems like we are always adding to what we have or replacing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I skimmed through the Rotonda HOA PDF. I'm not sure what happens if you have more than two cars and have a two car garage if you can't park overnight on the driveway. You might have a visitor that stays for weeks with nowhere to park their car. I'm not sure how you deal with those situations.

I'm not sure if you could have a backup power generator, because it could create noise after 10 PM during a power outage. Maybe you could have Tesla batteries to supply power between 10 PM and 8:30 AM.

I looked for language that prohibits gardens and didn't see any. Although, when looking at many properties listed, I haven't seen any gardens yet. It would be a shame if you couldn't have a garden in a place where you have the climate that allow you to garden all year round.

The business language sounded like they were mainly concerned about people coming and going from the homes, not telecommuting workers, although there was language about using the telephone for business. So, I'm not sure if you could telecommute and how that could bother any of your neighbors.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,547,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
everyone parks on their drive in Rotonda...I think its trucks/work vehicles with signage not allowed
Trucks with commercial signage on them is allowed while working on the home off driveway but must be in the "ditch" just off of the road.

Here's a pointer to the Rotonda Deed Restrictions : Rotonda West Association, Inc.: Deed Restrictions and Guidelines

Old 05-31-2015, 06:59 AM

Page 9 Section 7 refers to allowance of no impact businesses.... its stand verbage.. I knew it had to be in there it always is
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
When in doubt make an actual call/contact with a HOA REP. As for gardens? Are you talking Vegetable Gardens? There are none in my neighborhood either or my brothers or my moms and in fact I know no one down here who are raising veggies... We raise a few herbs for cooking and 2 kinds of mint for salads and Mojitos Clements Vegetable Stand is close by and reasonablely priced and there are the Farmers Markets.. For us and eveidently everyone we know, those days are over and gone with, no more dealing with bugs and rabbits and weeding and when they finally come in THEY COME IN! Flowers and plants etc etc we have those.. and it seems like we are always adding to what we have or replacing..
I was thinking the biggest reason for the lack of veggie gardens is that many residents are seasonal, only going to be there 3 months or so, and January and Feburary aren't the best growing months. When we move down I am definitely taking your advie and raising that mint for mohitos!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 AM

That could have a lot to do with it.. Quick Count... on our street ( 20% are snow-birds) there are about 30 homes, 6 of them are snow-birds... 2 homes have children.... 6 out of 30 work full time, one of those is a transplant who is now selling real estate with his wife but both are in their 60's ...Most of us, the Majority of us are retired and live here full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I was thinking the biggest reason for the lack of veggie gardens is that many residents are seasonal, only going to be there 3 months or so, and January and Feburary aren't the best growing months. When we move down I am definitely taking your advice and raising that mint for mojitos!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
That could have a lot to do with it.. Quick Count... on our street ( 20% are snow-birds) there are about 30 homes, 6 of them are snow-birds... 2 homes have children.... 6 out of 30 work full time, one of those is a transplant who is now selling real estate with his wife but both are in their 60's ...Most of us, the Majority of us are retired and live here full time.
I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but out of curiosity, do you think it's trending towards full time residents? We plan to be full time, we're not wealthy and can't support two houses anyway, but we love Florida and if the summer h&h gets to be too much we can always pay a visit to our northern family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte