Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times

Advertisements

Believe me - the bulk of what's coming is for my wife's jewelery business, some furniture and a lot of shorts and tees. We're going to be contributing to the local economy when we get there.

Yardsale; day 2 of 3 in the books. <phew>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Best of luck! Hint: we thought we got rid of a lot before we moved here - three years later, and we're still getting rid of stuff. We're on a first name basis with the folks at Goodwill and Habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Oh, you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff we've cleaned out already and are in process of selling or will donate to charity. We're bringing a few sweatshirts and a warm coat and jeans but that's about it.

And yeah, I'm the retired one and SWMBO is still fulltime employed so I've done a lot of the packing etc except for all of her jewelery supplies (she also has a custom jewelery business on top of her full time). I refuse to touch that stuff!

closing on the 20th, movers begin unpacking first thing on the 21st...

We're stoked. I suspect the first thing my wife is going to do is to plug in the wine refridge.
We're planning to put our house on the market next year and have started the decluttering already, one 15 yard dumpster gone and it doesn't even look like it put a dent in it. So I appreciate what you're going through. One day on the market !!!???? I can only hope.

Florida in the summer? I've been down in June, July and September, maybe its me but I didn't think it was so bad. In fact about two years ago we were in Rotonda in September, in the 90's and possible T-storms every afternoon, when we called our son in CT it was hotter and more humid there. Enjoy your new home and safe journey!

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
We're planning to put our house on the market next year and have started the decluttering already, one 15 yard dumpster gone and it doesn't even look like it put a dent in it. So I appreciate what you're going through. One day on the market !!!???? I can only hope.

Florida in the summer? I've been down in June, July and September, maybe its me but I didn't think it was so bad. In fact about two years ago we were in Rotonda in September, in the 90's and possible T-storms every afternoon, when we called our son in CT it was hotter and more humid there. Enjoy your new home and safe journey!
Thanks - we were exceptionally lucky on the house front, on both ends!

You're smart starting already! We "assumed" we'd have a few months to clean out up here, but we're not complaining.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Best of luck! Hint: we thought we got rid of a lot before we moved here - three years later, and we're still getting rid of stuff. We're on a first name basis with the folks at Goodwill and Habitat.
This is the same thing I did. I thought I got rid of enough stuff, and figured out exactly what furniture I meeded. But I still made SO MANY trips to Goodwill as I was unpacking. I can tell you that you will not need heavy coat unless you want one for when you travel to cold areas. The coldest it got last winter was 35. Honestly I barely even wore long pants all winter....most days it warmed up to the mid 50s at least. I think I could get by with one pair of long pants and one pair of non-sandal shoes.

Welcome to SW Florida!!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Remember that if you haven't used it in over a year, you probably won't ever need it, except for the tools.
when I moved I sold a;; the stuff I didn't want to load in my trailer. years later when doing projects I had to buy a tool I used to own. after 11 years it just happened last November .

congrats coop on the sale. it was a great time for me I sold and moved here in a motor coach not know where id wind up or be working

Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 AM

184 posts, read 234,844 times
We are leaving NJ in 3 weeks also. House is in the market 6 days, so hoping for a sale soon. Maybe see you on the road
Can I ask which moving company you used ? A lot are booked

Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 AM

Cynthia, I doubt we'll meet up as I'm not about to go down 95. We're going west on 84 and down 81 to bypass NYC, DC, and Baltimore. NFW I'm dealing with that. May be a bit longer but I'll take it any day. But if you happen to see a silver Ford Escape pulling an aluminum utility trailer with a ZTR on it, give a beep!

Today's the last of the yardsale days. Whatever's left after today is either being donated to charity or going to the dump!

We're using Two Men and a Truck for the move. So far I'm impressed. No contractors, employees only. They may be a bit more money but so far I'm impressed. It's a flat fee. You pay for the truck (26' box) and the service, not the weight or time. They guaranteed us two day delivery from Poughkeepsie, NY to Rotonda. Your stuff is the only stuff on the truck - no one elses. They furnish all of the boxes and packing paper. They bubble-wrap and secure electronics, lamps, etc. No need to unload dressers, cabinets, TOOL CHESTS!, etc that are moving. They're even going to flatbed my Vette behind the van. (for a fee of course).

Hopefully, I'll be as impressed after they unload.

Good luck with selling your place and your move! A LOT of work! But hopefully the end justifies the means. I suspect there may be an afternoon at the White Elephant listing to some music and a few "liquid libations" in our not to distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte