Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 PM

36 posts, read 68,730 times

Advertisements

We found out today that Aldi is opening next to the LongHorn Steakhouse by the mall. I confirmed this by visiting the Charlotte county permitting page. How does this make any sense with a Publix, Walmart, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and SaveALot in the same area. A low end grocery store within the limits of the mall just does not make any sense for the area.

I am really starting to wonder on the future of this town and it's master plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,256,267 times
Have you ever been to an Aldi's before? The selection is less than other grocery stores, but the quality is good and the prices are a lot lower than other grocery stores. When Aldi's first came to the Minneapolis - St Paul metro area, I noticed that they tended to locate in kind of marginal areas. Now, they locate in better areas. You will benefit with the significantly lower prices if you shop there. You will also benefit if you don't shop there because when an Aldi's store is near other grocery stores, it forces the other stores to lower their prices. The Aldi's reduces my shopping at more expensive grocery stores, but doesn't eliminate it. Aldi's doesn't have all the items I need, so I occasionally have to go to the more expensive grocery stores. I can afford to pay more for all my groceries, but why should I pay more? The quarter deposit for the shopping cart is a little weird, but you get used to it.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 AM

946 posts, read 748,588 times
Aldi is far from a low end grocery store their foods are cheaper priced and good quality. The store pays good wages for their employees their starting pay is around 11 an hour in my area. I always leave them with a cart full of groceries then at a regular grocery store. I also like SaveALot i check the dates before purchasing the items but they have a lot of good reasonable named brand items as well. The downside with them the stores are in run down areas but i always go early in the morning.

The quarter deposit for the shopping cart helps so they wont use an cart attendant to push the carts back to the store. It makes the parking lot a lot neater.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 AM

133 posts, read 170,785 times
When in Illinois I shop at Aldi for all my produce, dairy AND Orange juice. I can never understand why OJ is so much more expensive in Florida than in the midwest. Guess it goes out of state for processing. Anyway, Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joes and you often see some of the same products.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,623,013 times
Having Aldi move into the neighborhood is a good thing, not a bad thing, and it may bring an improvement in the quality of stores that may follow. Less tattoo parlors and check cashing places can't hurt.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,396 times
McCall road would be a better choice for a new Aldi's. There is already a new one 4 1/2 miles west of the mall on the corner of Tamiami & Salford.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:05 PM

52 posts, read 73,228 times
I wish it was a Trader Joes. That would make more sense!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 PM

413 posts, read 823,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKoala View Post
I wish it was a Trader Joes. That would make more sense!
Trader Joe's and ALDI. Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 68,730 times
Discount grocery..sorry but generally means it's trying to reach a target market.

Location does not make sense at all. How about a Bonefish Grill?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,765,923 times
used to be a toy r us in that location, they didn't make it. seems a Discount grocery would be the same target customer.
seems a stupid location for any grocery. dosent seems enough space for the building and parking unless its a small store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte