Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times

Advertisements

I stepped outside to confirm. and though there seems to be no less than 3 styles of ridge vents some more noticeable than others......every house in my line of sight has both ridge and soffit vents... Accumulation of moisture? I cannot even imagine that ever being being an issue down here. As for "any penetration in the roof is a negative for hurricane protection" We all TTBOMK have ridge vents and roof jacks for plumbing and exhaust fans.. Those roof jacks look different than you see in None Hurricane areas but they are there.. Hummmm I am surprised our local builders and remodel guys are not helping out here , they should know all this stuff off the top of their heads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
I have seen that on some of the houses we've looked at. What I haven't seen is a vent at the top, either in the upper part of the roof or a ridge vent. Without that, air won't flow properly. I have seen attics that sweat because of poor air flow.

What I'm hearing since being here is any penetration in the roof is a negative for hurricane protection. But there must be some acceptable means for allowing rising heat in the attic to escape up and out and thus move the air through the attic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 02:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Maybe some of the older houses do not have roof venting of some sorts but most that I have seen here do. Unlike in northern climates where the attics will sweat and actually freeze and drip in winter, without proper airflow, I don't think that is the case so much here. Plumbing vents are still penetrated through the roofs and collared differently then up north. I have never heard a penetration being a negative for hurricane protection, although theoretically it could be, and if that is the case I'm sure my insurance company would have said something or raised my rates.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
I have seen that on some of the houses we've looked at. What I haven't seen is a vent at the top, either in the upper part of the roof or a ridge vent. Without that, air won't flow properly. I have seen attics that sweat because of poor air flow.

What I'm hearing since being here is any penetration in the roof is a negative for hurricane protection. But there must be some acceptable means for allowing rising heat in the attic to escape up and out and thus move the air through the attic.
We have ridge vents.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:

Most ridge vents here are shingled over so they are not noticeable. If you're looking for the typical ugly aluminum versions, you won't see many.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 AM

773 posts, read 785,771 times
Ridge vents in the Chicago area are obvious, to me anyway. But that may be because I know what they look like from the ground. I never paid attention to roofs here (I used to visit my dad, who retired to North Palm Beach, every year) until I started getting home insurance quotes and learning about wind mitigation.

I'm going to start looking more closely when we take our walks. The tile roofs make it harder to spot small penetrations, like roof vents, than asphalt shingled roofs, but the ridge vent should be fairly easy to spot.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
You will not find "ridge vent" in tile roofs, but you will find venting.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM

14 posts, read 10,728 times
I own TWO homes;one in Florida and the other in Charleston, both of which are subject to high temps during the summer months. After having done a bit of research, I found that the "blow-in" type to be highly satisfactory. I can honestly say that I reaped the cost back within a few years off a lower utility bill. You can either do-it-yourself through Lowes or contract a company. It's really a cinch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte