Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM

19 posts, read 94,035 times

Advertisements

Opinions on Punta Gorda? Rent prices seem affordable, trying to attract new people after hurricanes, i'm assuming. would love to know more about the people and area itself though...heading for a visit in May to check it out myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjennifer1230 View Post
Opinions on Punta Gorda? Rent prices seem affordable, trying to attract new people after hurricanes, i'm assuming. would love to know more about the people and area itself though...heading for a visit in May to check it out myself.
I don't know what prices run in the historic district. However, most of the homes close to downtown are a little on the rundown side. There's an area bordered by Cooper St and 41, Virginia and (mmm, not Olympia, but the OTHER Rte. 17. where the NEW courthouse is) that's considered a bad neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

we're actually looking to rent...apartment homes. i've found some good ones, but they aren't in the actual city. Hampton Point, The Pines of Punta Gorda, Villas Del Sol...

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
we're actually looking to rent...apartment homes. i've found some good ones, but they aren't in the actual city. Hampton Point, The Pines of Punta Gorda, Villas Del Sol...
Um, I'd dissuade you from the Pines. Villas Del Sol, no problem, and you'll be close to businesses. And I believe Hampton Point is actually off Luther/Rampart Road in Deep Creek.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
We recently live in PG.

The area is primarily retiree. There are pockets of different age groups, etc, but again, it is an area that is heavily supported by snowbirders & retirees.

Punta Gorda Isles, Burnt Store Isles, & Tern Bay are almost solely 55 & older. Lots of snowbirders.

Punta Gorda, Burnt Store Meadows & Deep Creek have a wider mix of age groups & people.

Fisherman Village is a quaint little place to visit every once & awhile. There are a few decent restaurants. Lots of boat shows.

Lots & lots & lots of homes for sale. No real economy in the area to support people who need to work full time. Construction is the main employer. Probably don't have to tell you how the status of the construction industry in SWFL.

One thing PG has done very well is rebuild after the hurricane.

I'd avoid any areas around Cooper ST, MLk Blvd & that surrounding area.

We were not fans at all of Deep Creek. Area is just plain shady.

There are condo rentals by the gizillion in Punta Gorda Isles & we are talking brand new never lived in condos. We lived in a brand new 1800 sq ft, 3/2/1 for $1100 a month with water & cable. Tile, stainless steel apps, you name it, all the bells & whistles.

PG is not for a young family looking for acitivities for younger children or people their age. But it is a nice area if your older, looking to retiree or a single person or couple without children. Lots move there due to direct access to the Gulf. Boating & fishing is the big draw. It is a very small city.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Um, I'd dissuade you from the Pines. Villas Del Sol, no problem, and you'll be close to businesses. And I believe Hampton Point is actually off Luther/Rampart Road in Deep Creek.
Stay away from the Pines

Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
We recently live in PG.

The area is primarily retiree. There are pockets of different age groups, etc, but again, it is an area that is heavily supported by snowbirders & retirees.

Punta Gorda Isles, Burnt Store Isles, & Tern Bay are almost solely 55 & older. Lots of snowbirders.

Punta Gorda, Burnt Store Meadows & Deep Creek have a wider mix of age groups & people.

Fisherman Village is a quaint little place to visit every once & awhile. There are a few decent restaurants. Lots of boat shows.

Lots & lots & lots of homes for sale. No real economy in the area to support people who need to work full time. Construction is the main employer. Probably don't have to tell you how the status of the construction industry in SWFL.

One thing PG has done very well is rebuild after the hurricane.

I'd avoid any areas around Cooper ST, MLk Blvd & that surrounding area.

There are condo rentals by the gizillion in Punta Gorda Isles & we are talking brand new never lived in condos. We lived in a brand new 1800 sq ft, 3/2/1 for $1100 a month with water & cable. Tile, stainless steel apps, you name it, all the bells & whistles.

PG is not for a young family looking for acitivities for younger children or people their age. But it is a nice area if your older, looking to retiree or a single person or couple without children. Lots move there due to direct access to the Gulf. Boating & fishing is the big draw. It is a very small city.
Punta Gorda has a few nice parks right by the riverfront. As far as employment...my employment's been pretty much retail. Grocery stores, home improvement stores, gas stations, and the ubiquitous Wal-Mart. I'm not getting paid $20 an hour, but I don't feel I need that kind of income.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,740 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
We recently live in PG.
Can you explain specifically what you mean by "shady". I am currently
looking to buy a condo and have visited Deep Creek. It didn't look bad to me as the neighborhood seems to be well kept. Would you mind providing any details about the area? I could really use some input as I want to make sure I make a good decision when buying.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
why avoid the Pines? just curious...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM

It seems that a lot of people that get arrested have addresses there. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte