Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:20 AM

773 posts, read 786,403 times

Advertisements

While waiting (and hoping) for the title defect to clear, I've been checking daily on homes in Charlotte County that are on sailboat water and under $400K. Very slim pickins. I have only my memory to support this but it seems to me the prices are a lot higher then when we got here a few months ago. I'm now also searching for liveaboard sailboats because, if this deal falls through, I don't think we'll be able to afford anything in CC that's on sailboat water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
While waiting (and hoping) for the title defect to clear, I've been checking daily on homes in Charlotte County that are on sailboat water and under $400K. Very slim pickins. I have only my memory to support this but it seems to me the prices are a lot higher then when we got here a few months ago. I'm now also searching for liveaboard sailboats because, if this deal falls through, I don't think we'll be able to afford anything in CC that's on sailboat water.
If you don't limit yourself to PGI or close to the harbor in Port Charlotte it is very doable. Heck we live on waterfront by PGI 20/25 Mins to the harbor. There's 3 homes for sale here. 180/200/240. The one listed at 180 even has a sailboat on the lift in the pictures. So with my scenario you can buy 2 and a new car also for 400k. Good luck on your sale. Hope it goes thru.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If you don't limit yourself to PGI or close to the harbor in Port Charlotte it is very doable. Heck we live on waterfront by PGI 20/25 Mins to the harbor. There's 3 homes for sale here. 180/200/240. The one listed at 180 even has a sailboat on the lift in the pictures. So with my scenario you can buy 2 and a new car also for 400k. Good luck on your sale. Hope it goes thru.
I've been looking at bridge clearance as well as canal depth and I can't find anything outside of PGI or in-close Port Charlotte that will allow for sailboat access to Charlotte Harbor.

FWIW, I get bridge clearances using Open CPN charts. The Tamiami bridge between PG & PC has a 45' bridge clearance. The bridge between El Jobean and Charlotte Beach has a 25' clearance. According to the charts, the remaining waterways are too shallow.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Quote:
I've been looking at bridge clearance as well as canal depth and I can't find anything outside of PGI or in-close Port Charlotte that will allow for sailboat access to Charlotte Harbor.

FWIW, I get bridge clearances using Open CPN charts. The Tamiami bridge between PG & PC has a 45' bridge clearance. The bridge between El Jobean and Charlotte Beach has a 25' clearance. According to the charts, the remaining waterways are too shallow.
Sounds like you have/want a deep draft sailboat. Up north (I'm from the Chesapeake Bay area) sailboat water was defined by the depth of the water. No so here. It's whether there are bridges to pass under. Water depth has little to do with it being called "sailboat" water. Due to the shallowness of the harbor I think shallow draft and / or retractable keels are more popular here.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:58 AM

186 posts, read 213,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I don't know which area to which you are referring. I've seen every house online in Port Charlotte, PGI and BSI.

The homes under $400k are either small and quite old, or the ingress/egress is not favorable to accommodate a 35' sailboat. Many of the homes are corner lots, or are in the 'power boat' section.

As for draft, we are looking at a 5' draft, give or take. That's not particularly deep.

As for prices pretty much every PGI home north or south of Marion is in the mid 400's on up. BSI and Port Charlotte are the only areas that have homes near 400k.

Home inventory remains quite low in this price range. Seems like prices have either risen, or perhaps "pocket" sales may be back in play.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:20 AM

I'm trying to keep the draft of the sailboat at 5' or less, whether it's a centerboard or shoal draft doesn't matter but I'd prefer shoal draft, one less thing to go wrong. Bridge clearance for most boats I've looked at is over 45'. Add masthead instruments and antenna to that and even the PG-PC Tamaimi bridge can be a nail biter.

Our realtor identifies sailboat water by depth and the absence of bridges of any kind. Considering the height of bridges, according to Open CPN charts, I haven't looked at any properties beyond bridges.

The realtor also warned against PC canal homes because winter winds can dramatically lower canal depth, but there seems to be a lot of larger sailboats docked behind those houses.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:01 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Ok it seems like u need deep water at all times. I just posted about waterfront homes that have sailboats behind their homes with no bridges to the harbor. I'm a powerboat guy.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM

I'm trying to get used to 5' as being deep water. I sailed the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Michigan, all my life and if you're under 5', you're almost on the beach.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
I'm trying to get used to 5' as being deep water. I sailed the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Michigan, all my life and if you're under 5', you're almost on the beach.
Same here. I came from from Grand Haven in West Michigan. The "shallow" water here will take getting used to. The 22ft holes in the harbor are considered "deep", lol. Sailors definitely need to keep a closer eye on the depth gage and charts much more so than us powerboat guys.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
2645 W MARION AVENUE Unit: 511 looks nice even has a small sailboat lift. Another one on Ohara I still see them around.
Your right what we bought 3 years, is now MUCH Higher if you can even find one. Sailboat Water within even 20 minutes of the Harbor 3 2 2 block built hip roof pool .. sad to say but your deed issue is killing you, honestly your a year too late..
We sailed out of Winthrop IL. / North Point Harbor.. Basically that Harbor is closed for the rest of this year and until April next year.. Find a House you like and rent a slip its only going to get worse$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte