Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:38 PM

773 posts, read 779,703 times

Advertisements

We've only been in PG two months. But we've visited areas on the west coast from Naples up to Sarasota. We were in Venice last weekend and went to Sharky's on the Pier. It's right on the beach. We really enjoyed our time there. Venice has a very nice beach.

I think we've been to Ft. Meyers/Cape Coral 4-5 times to dine and take in what they have to offer. We have also visited Pine Island, Boca Grande, Sanibel & Captiva. PG is fine but it's a pretty small place and things to do are limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,254,915 times
OP. If 1 of you doesn't want to make this move and your looking at a severe reduction in pay, IMHO you really need to think this over really well, and talk this move over a LOT. Not too many places in the WORLD are fun to live in, if your scrapping to just get by.. A good friend of mine back in the day had a Beautiful Ranch up in Montana a few years later I truly was surprised when saw him back in IL. I asked what's with this? His reply.. You cant eat a beautiful sunset..

03bluecoup Actually Living in the Mexican Caribbean can be awesome.. I loved every minute and hated to sell the house and give up the dream.. Over on the Gulf by Progresso and near Merida was fabulous as well. If not for my wife's potential medical issues we would be there somewhere.. As long as you own your home and vehicle's $50K down there can be like $100K up here. On a very bad day water viz is 60 ft. You have to actually live there for awhile to understand the attraction. There isn't a gator issue or a shark issue down there either.. That said I do love living here..

Tujuleez1 Isn't it fabulous to live were its just about summer all year long and so much to do so close at hand? Then toss in 2 great airports and what more could you ask for? Oh yea I almost forgot, you two are also sailors and all those places you listed and a Zillion more are do-able for $5 in Gas : )))))))

Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,540,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post

03bluecoup Actually Living in the Mexican Caribbean can be awesome.. I loved every minute and hated to sell the house and give up the dream.. Over on the Gulf by Progresso and near Merida was fabulous as well. If not for my wife's potential medical issues we would be there somewhere.. As long as you own your home and vehicle's $50K down there can be like $100K up here. On a very bad day water viz is 60 ft. You have to actually live there for awhile to understand the attraction. There isn't a gator issue or a shark issue down there either.. That said I do love living here..
wow, sorry - I thought you were being a wisenhimer.

--
Steve

Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 PM

No Steve I really loved / still love Mexico.. well the parts , that have a heavy gringo/tourist influence/population. I taught Scuba on Cozumel ( I am a NAUI emeritus OWSI) I owned a home and car etc. , on Cozumel and a Motorcycle rental company and I completely rehabbed a 3 story Hotel and several homes and was Offered a Job in Cancun /Playa del Carmen and Tulum by Carta Blanca Engineering of Cancun. Was offered another Contract to Over See a Total Resort build out in Nicaragua .. Life held many Adventures.. My friends remind me often that Cozumel Has World Class Deep Sea Fishing just 10 to 30 minutes out of either Harbor and Scuba Diving is on average 80 feet of visibility and tons of fish and hard and soft coral...Decent Hospitals meant Cancun or Merida.. hummm But here it may mean Sarasota or Tampa.. But its all good, we both love living here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
wow, sorry - I thought you were being a wisenhimer. --Steve

Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,236,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedaman91 View Post
OysterCatcher... Is Daytona a nice/fun place to live? I have never been there. And Port Orange? I don't knoew much about it at all.
Daytona is known for Spring Break, NASCAR and a touristy beach destination. So I would say NO, Daytona is not going to be a great place to live. To visit, vacation, party or work in then the answer is Yes.

Why I would choose this location is because neighboring Port Orange is known to be very family friendly, safe and have great public schools. Do this exercise; go to Great Schools . Org and look each zipcode your looking to relocate and give it a 25 mile radius, then narrow your search to just public high schools and you'll see what I mean and your choice should be clear. That is if you're planning on starting a family sometime in the foreseeable future.

As a bonus you're an hour from Orlando and Disney. The weather is great year round (with the cooler Altantic breezes). The beaches are great as well. I don't think it's much of a contest based off of your criteria.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,575,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I agree with what Harbor Hopper has said. I'm typing on my phone so I won't be able to link up other sites for reference but I thought I'd answer anyway.
The nightlife is actually pretty decent in PG. love Deans, Celtic Ray, TTs Tiki Bar and several others. It's neat because all are within walking distance. So, if you don't like the music or whatever is going on at one place, you can go to another. Im actually going to Deans tonight. Punta Gorda also has lots of non chain restaurants, which I like- Jacks, River City, Perfect Caper, etc
I would suggest you check out North Port where the average age is 38 as opposed to PG where the average age is more than double your age. Punta Gorda is also an hour from the closest beach, which gets real old, real quick-if you like going to the beaches.
The weather is great here, IMO. It's hot in the summer and very pleasant in the winters
My wife and I, from London U.K., have been vacationing in P.G. for quite some time now.
We always try to get a place within walking distance of a good bar so that we can leave the car either back in the garage, or in the parking lot of the bar.
For the past three years we have been going to the same house near Fisherman's Village, off W. Marion.
I can vouch for Deans, the food and service are both good, and they often have live bands at w/ends.
I'm at the old fart end of the spectrum, but I can appreciate a good live band, the crowd seemed to be mostly late twenties through mid forties when we've been to Deans.
The Celtic Ray is a good pub/bar, but it's a little dark in there on occasion.
Jacks on Marion, and River City Grill, also on Marion, Laishley Crab House, E. Retta Esplanade, Phil's 41, on the Tamiami Trail are all good restaurants.
We have been to 19 of the lower 48, and also Hawaii, but if I ever hit the lottery I think I'd go for a house in P.G., or the Port Charlotte area, providing the State Department/Citizen Immigration Service would have us.

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 10-13-2015 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Added a word

Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,960,945 times
Quote:
BTW No where on this side less than 100 miles from shore is there clear water.. Its Not The Bahamas or Cozumel or Belize.. Its not even the Keys.. The water is wonderful though
Just a correction on this statement. Our water here on the coast (not the harbor), is very clear from December/Jan usually thru early July when it really heats up and gets more algae & seagrass flotsam. I do most of my snorkeling during these months off the beaches and most days I can see bottom in 15ft of water just fine. Also, incoming tide is always cleaner water if you're anywhere near a pass.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Not to get into a p--ing match .. But 15 feet of partial viz is not IMHO clear water.. That said 50 miles and farther out, can get you on occasion 20 to 30 feet. We just do not have good water viz here for many reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Just a correction on this statement. Our water here on the coast (not the harbor), is very clear from December/Jan usually thru early July when it really heats up and gets more algae & seagrass flotsam. I do most of my snorkeling during these months off the beaches and most days I can see bottom in 15ft of water just fine. Also, incoming tide is always cleaner water if you're anywhere near a pass.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,022,208 times
Quote:
Not to get into a p--ing match .. But 15 feet of partial viz is not IMHO clear water.. That said 50 miles and farther out, can get you on occasion 20 to 30 feet. We just do not have good water viz here for many reasons.
Your right. But you don't need to go 50 miles out. I've been out a lot less than that 18-20 miles out and have spearfished cheesy bottom for grouper and the vis has been 30-40' plus. Visibility near the shore is OK, but generally not near as good as it is once you get out. (That is on the coast near us.) Over on the East Coast and down in the Keys you don't need to go out far at all. We often drift dive on the east coast near Jupiter, and you only need to go out a mile and your in 80' of water and the vis is really pretty good.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,960,945 times
Quote:
Not to get into a p--ing match .. But 15 feet of partial viz is not IMHO clear water..
It is for SW FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte