Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,655,280 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting relatives in Port Charlotte sometime this Winter (not sure exactly when) and could use some ideas for some side trips/activities for just ourselves while in the area. Beaches and, I would guess, other outdoor activities might be out - even in Florida - in January. We won't have kids with us and driving within reason is fine. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,007,650 times
As long as we don't have a cold front come through during your visit, you'll definitely be able to check out the beaches and explore other outdoor activities. In fact, our normal 70-75 degree winter temps are perfect for all outdoor events!
Here a link to Charlotte County Events: Calendar of Events | Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte & Englewood
And one for Sarasota County Events: Events | Visit Sarasota County

Your closest beaches are the Port Charlotte Beach Complex (harbor water but still a nice little place if time is tight), Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island, Englewood Beach, Middle Beach and Manasota Beach all on Manasota Key, then you have Caspersen Beach, Venice Beach & Sharky's on the Pier, Nokomis Beach and the north jetty, and the world famous Siesta Key and Lido Beach.

Have fun!!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 07:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,276,310 times
Yea what HH said.. our 20 to 25 degrees warmer temps will or could make a huge difference from what you might want to experience if you were home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
As long as we don't have a cold front come through during your visit, you'll definitely be able to check out the beaches and explore other outdoor activities. In fact, our normal 70-75 degree winter temps are perfect for all outdoor events!
Here a link to Charlotte County Events: Calendar of Events | Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte & Englewood
And one for Sarasota County Events: Events | Visit Sarasota County

Your closest beaches are the Port Charlotte Beach Complex (harbor water but still a nice little place if time is tight), Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island, Englewood Beach, Middle Beach and Manasota Beach all on Manasota Key, then you have Caspersen Beach, Venice Beach & Sharky's on the Pier, Nokomis Beach and the north jetty, and the world famous Siesta Key and Lido Beach.

Have fun!!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
There are many festivals that you may choose to go to during your stay depending on when you plan to arrive.
Check in here before you leave, because many of us are usually posting ideas about what is going on, when, and where.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,655,280 times
Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-28-2015, 02:25 PM

517 posts, read 1,093,366 times
A few years ago, I took winter visitors (I know it was winter because no one visits me in the summer ) on a sunset boat tour of Charlotte Harbor. The name of the company escapes me, but if I am recalling correctly, SoFLGal posted info on these tours quite a while back on the chat thread that's the second sticky on this forum. There were other tours available as well.

I can still remember how absolutely beautiful it was at sunset with a light sea breeze and dolphins jumping in the water around the boat--highly recommend it!

And, as has been said, winter is a great time of year here to be out and about enjoying the beaches (which are beautiful) etc.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 11-28-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 03:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,276,310 times
King Fisher Tours https://www.kingfisherfleet.com/ We signed up for the PGI Canal Christmas Lights Tour $17 each.. and I don't have to get out of off of the Manchester with my boat cross the bay and find my way thru the canals and back hahaha AT NIGHT! We can drive over to PG have dinner a few drinks get on the boat 8:30 8:45 and be back in the car around 10:15 10:30 and be all relaxed no stress.. We will do the Manchester and maybe some of the power boat canals on this side of the bay in our own boat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
A few years ago, I took winter visitors (I know it was winter because no one visits me in the summer ) on a sunset boat tour of Charlotte Harbor. The name of the company escapes me, but if I am recalling correctly, SoFLGal posted info on these tours quite a while back on the chat thread that's the second sticky on this forum. There were other tours available as well.

I can still remember how absolutely beautiful it was at sunset with a light sea breeze and dolphins jumping in the water around the boat--highly recommend it!

And, as has been said, winter is a great time of year here to be out and about enjoying the beaches (which are beautiful) etc.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
My wife and I will be visiting relatives in Port Charlotte sometime this Winter (not sure exactly when) and could use some ideas for some side trips/activities for just ourselves while in the area. Beaches and, I would guess, other outdoor activities might be out - even in Florida - in January. We won't have kids with us and driving within reason is fine. Thanks!
It depends on how far you want to drive. We visited Orlando a couple of times, which is a 3 hour drive each way. We also visited the keys and Key West, which takes about 6 hours. If the weather turns cold for a couple days, you could book a room in Marathon. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which wasn't bad. I don't recommend staying in Key West, unless you want to spend a lot more money. I don't recommend staying at the hotels in the main tourist areas of Key West. Those hotels look pretty dumpy and cost around $300 to $600 a night. We could only handle a few hours in Key West since it is kind of a tourist trap on steroids. The overseas highway was an easy drive compared to what the road used to be like about 40 years ago.

I recommend getting the EZPass option with your rental car. The fee was about $4.95 per day for each day we went through tolls, but the fee was capped at $20 per rental period, plus the tolls. That eliminates the hassles stopping for tolls and keeping a bunch of change in your rental car. If you don't have a GPS, download the free GPS app called Waze. It even warns you about red light cameras. But the cars on the shoulder warnings get annoying. There were about 200 cars on the shoulders between Punta Gorda and Orlando, a three hour drive. People in Florida probably don't properly maintain their cars or run out of gas all the time.

You might check out the beech in Sarasota, which was nice, although beech chairs and a large beech umbrella would make the experience much better. We visited that beech a couple of times.

Locally, around Port Charlotte, I'd recommend the harbor cruise during the day and the sunset harbor cruise. The cost was only about $20 a person. We went on both the daytime and sunset cruises. The tours Check out King Fisher Fleet harbor cruises in Fisherman's Village. The parking was free but near sunset, allow extra time because the parking lot fills up at times. We were somewhat disappointed with the sunsets we saw, since there were always clouds on the horizon. The sunsets we saw from the Big Island in Hawaii typically had no clouds on the horizon, so you could see the sun drop below the horizon without the clouds in Hawaii. I don't know if the cloudy skies are typical for Florida sunsets, or if we were just unlucky.

Here's a link for King Fisher Fleet
https://www.kingfisherfleet.com/

Old 11-28-2015, 04:59 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,789,397 times
there also the river tours at the Navigator grill

Nav-A-Gator Grill at Desoto Marina

Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
Fishermen's Village
Edison Ford Winter Estates
The Shell Factory
Solomon's Castle
Visani's Comedy Club
Peace River Wildlife Center
Sun Flea Market
Charlotte Sports Park
Bobcat Wilderness Adventure
Florida Tracks and Trails
Beaches
Car Shows or Car Cruise Ins
Festivals
Old Englewood Village
Venice Main Street
Venice Jetty's
Sharky's on the Pier
Muscle Car City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte