Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post

Is there any kind of organization here that certifies anyone in construction as being trained and qualified? Or do you have to rely solely on personal referrals from people you can trust?
I think the closest thing you'll find is the Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association. They are located on Toledo Blade blvd. Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - About CDBIA

Old 12-15-2015, 11:39 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
A Lot has to do with Safety.. If I don't come home from work its all for nil...
Right Here In The Sunshine State....Code of Excellence Gets the Spotlight in the Sunshine State

Old 12-15-2015, 12:32 PM

773 posts, read 785,771 times
Thanks for the link, Mac.

The Code of Excellence training is to convey a strong message that IBEW construction members will:

• Arrive to work on time, ready and willing to work.
  • Follow appropriate employer and customer work rules.
  • Promote an alcohol and drug free workplace.
  • Work in a safe and healthy manner.
  • Give 8 hours work for 8 hours pay and ensure supervision has been notified when we need to leave the jobsite.
  • Respect management directives that are safe, reasonable and legitimate.
  • Respect the customer’s rights and property.
  • Respect the rights of our coworkers.
  • Utilize the skills and abilities we have learned to gain a competitive advantage.
  • Take care of the employer’s tools and equipment as if they were our own.
  • Refuse to condone any act of property destruction, including graffiti.
  • Start work on time, work until the appropriate quitting time and limit break periods to the time allowed.
  • Use the proper tool for the job while maintaining personal responsibility for our tools.
  • Only sell merchandise or collect funds as authorized by the Business Manager of the Local Union.
  • Perform personal business, including cell phone use, during authorized break periods only.
  • Never participate in job slowdowns, disruptions or activities designed to extend the job or create overtime.
  • Always strive to conduct ourselves in a way that promotes a positive image of the IBEW.
This should be the goal of all construction workers. Then threads like this would never be created.

But problems like what has been cited here begin at the top. In the case of uncertified construction workers, the top means their boss. Workers follow their boss's orders or they lose their job. We have to remember that when recommending someone to a friend. We hear bosses blame their workers but who hired them and who keeps them employed? Without anything to back you if you stand up to poor work practices, the worker is helpless, if he or she wants to earn a paycheck.

When you have worked hard to earn a legitimized certification in a given profession, you tend to protect that more than your job because your reputation and allegiance to your profession means more than working for a poor employer. Your reputation and that certification will stay with you when you move to the next job.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:26 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
They cost ALMOST the same .. They NEVER PAY Their employees the same...... THAT My Friends is what its ALL ABOUT! The Non-Union Contractor Stands to Makes More money per man IF he doesn't die on the vine with call backs and repairs and a host of other issues.. too long to list. ( But we can list them : ) The exact same thing can be said for UNION Contractors!! I've seen them leaving a wake of dead meat on the side of the road because they didn't pay. And, since when do UNION Contractors give 100% of the revenue to its workers - let me see - since they rake dues off the top - Let me say, its safe to say - NEVER!! EVER!! EVER!!
A Poster here said a piece of paper means NOTHING to him.... YET.... he paid to get two of them to facilitate his possibilities for employment at the highest possible rate of pay ....Hummm Good for Me Good for me .. Hummm
YEP - good for you! Good for YOU!

Old 12-15-2015, 02:00 PM

325 posts, read 507,197 times
BH sometimes you just can't fix stupid. lol

Old 12-15-2015, 02:38 PM

My dues paid for my pensions 4X my SS and... AND my life time health insurance.. among other things..
My dues also paid for a lot of things you have no understanding of.. But I retired and have health care .. that you have seen dead meat along the road side... total BS.. yes men over the years from both sides have fought for their lives and livelihoods and MOST OFTEN against Contractors cheating and stealing from them..
BTW you said something about unemployment paid by the UNION for being out of work??? I call BS until you name the Trade and the Local Union # and I will call them you can be sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
YEP - good for you! Good for YOU!

Old 12-15-2015, 03:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
BH sometimes you just can't fix stupid. lol

Old 12-15-2015, 06:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
My dues paid for my pensions 4X my SS and... AND my life time health insurance.. among other things..
I'm sure the client enjoyed paying all that!! And, when your pension runs out, and the union struggles to get work, who will handle that - YEP - the Tax payers like me. Look what has happened to Detroit with their pension program - the tax payers up there are taking it up the .....!!!! The union pensions in New York are crippling the state!! They pay more in pensions to retired unions than they pay anyone else!! Unions are dying everywhere. There are only a few strong holds left for unions. Sorry Mac - but that's the truth, and you want to keep the blinders on until the checks bounce.

Also, look at what the unions have done to KODAK. They and their pensions have killed the companies, and the workers have had their pensions cut too. United Airline had their contracts restructures and they lost most of their retirement packages as well. That is what is happening all over the country - unions are losing membership all over!

Look that up MAC! Unions have caused great companies to go down!! Tell me how great and efficient and skilled their workers were and what wonders they did for those business entities. OK.... I need to here that!!

My dues also paid for a lot of things you have no understanding of.. But I retired and have health care .. that you have seen dead meat along the road side... total BS.. yes men over the years from both sides have fought for their lives and livelihoods and MOST OFTEN against Contractors cheating and stealing from them..
BTW you said something about unemployment paid by the UNION for being out of work??? I call BS until you name the Trade and the Local Union # and I will call them you can be sure..
It was the electrical union in DC - go ahead. He was paid a portion of his wages when his job ended until he was assigned a new job.

Last edited by Big House; 12-15-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 AM

773 posts, read 785,771 times
With all due respect, BH, what sense does it make if any organization dependent on a business causes that business to fail? Without the contractors, trade unions wouldn't exist. But unions wouldn't exist at all if employees felt they were treated fairly by their employers. Some employers treat their employees very well. You won't see a cry for the need to unionize there. But others don't and without a strong, unified bargaining body, the individual employee has no voice.

The vilification of unions has been primarily voiced by businesses that want a bigger slice of the pie. Politicians who get nice campaign donations from these businesses, happily join in. That's why unions are losing membership, not because they are causing business to fail. I've been on the both sides of the aisle. I know non-union contractors typically enjoy higher profits than union contractors but both can do quite well if they know how to run a business. I know non-union contractors who own million dollar homes and Ferraris. Their union counterparts can maybe only afford 3/4 of that. That's nothing to complain about.

While there are examples of union members and union representatives creating problems for an employer, they are the exception, not the norm. Unions and employers MUST work together if the union is to survive. That's the REAL reality that anti-union rhetoric repeatedly fails to mention.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM

I'm sure the client enjoyed paying all that! I am sure The client didn't care how the proceeds of a contract were split up. Whether I ended up with a Pension and or Health Care or whether the contractor did as you did and kept it all for himself.
And, when your pension runs out, Defined Pension self administered its financial health depends on where its invested.. I have never had even a stagnant year let alone a negative one.. so I am doing just fine Thanks for asking
Look what has happened to Detroit with their pension program - Thanks for mentioning that .. that is what happens when you allow businesses to control a workers benefits.. As we all saw , Companies stole pensions funds from the workers and spent them on Personal Use ,Jets and Chefs and Multi Million Dollar salaries and 8 figure bonuses.. Then when it was time to pay The agreed upon, and payroll deducted pensions.. The money was nowhere to be found!

the tax payers up there are taking it up the .....!!!! Not how it works At All... Allow me to Educate you.. PBGC....pensions are required to pay an insurance premium that makes the guarantee.

The union pensions in New York are crippling the state!! again, its ALWAYS BETTER TO save as you go than pizzz away what you owe and hope to win the lottery when you need it.. They pay more in pensions to retired unions than they pay anyone else!! Go figure ...Allow me to Educate you AGAIN!! it takes more men in the field doing the work than it takes in the office... Unions are dying everywhere. Not everywhere but our numbers are down and the middle class is shrinking quickly the day of a hard working blue collar worker having the funds for even a modest dream are coming to an end There are only a few strong holds left for unions. Sorry Mac - but that's the truth, and you want to keep the blinders on until the checks bounce. Actually our numbers have turned a corner and we are again growing.. workers are tired of doing ALL the work and being refused a livable income

Also, look at what the unions have done to KODAK. You amaze me how at best, clueless you are.. Kodak failed because it was top heavy and refused to reinvent itself in digital technology.. Polaroid did pretty much the same thing... CEO's Fiddled as Rome burned...

They and their pensions have killed the companies, and the workers have had their pensions cut too. United Airline had their contracts restructures and they lost most of their retirement packages as well.
Once again the Corporation held the workers pension funds and pizzed them away on perks for the ELITE. When the workers opened the pension vault ,about all that was there was IOU's!
That is what is happening all over the country - unions are losing membership all over!
Again not entirely true .. but its true that lies are told over and over until the ignorant believe them..
As was previously stated your profit margin was and is higher then your Union counterparts.. WHY?
You paid your workers MUCH Less than my boss paid me.. That's how it works.. Cost savings to customers if any at all are paid for entirely off the back of the workers..

Look that up MAC! Unions have caused great companies to go down!! Tell me how great and efficient and skilled their workers were and what wonders they did for those business entities. OK.... I need to here that!! That's not what happened at all, its just what the greedy thieves repeat and repeat. There are numerous reasons for companies to fail and most often its mismanagement. 85% of the jobs lost to Offshore BTW were Non-union jobs and were due to 2 issues.. Americans wont work for $2 an hour and ( While Boss Hog make $5 million a year or more.. ) and the Tax incentives written by the GOP to move American companies offshore to..#1. bust unions and #2 put fear in workers so Corporations could lower wages across the board and completely, eliminate pensions and healthcare for working class Americans..
I have 20/20 vision , and I look around and see what's been done.. A few have made HUGE financial gains off the backs of the workers .. Corporate America has forced the Government to pay for wages they wont pay, because The Greedy are too busy stuffing their pockets. THAT is part of the reason for our Social Programs having the financial issues they face today..
You HATE Unions because we force you to pay whats Right....a "decent wage package" That's why Union's were started in the first place and it was after that , that America truly became the dream destination.. I look around SWF and I see what you have done..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte