Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,552,606 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we're used to people actually communicating. Yes things happen. Materials don't show up, someone gets sick, whatever. We just expect to be contacted when what "you've" told us you'd do, you can't for whatever reason.

I complained to the owner yesterday and was basically told "you're getting a good deal so what are you complaining about", I was livid. But I'm between a rock and hard place at this point. The job is about 50% complete and finding someone else to complete this particular project wouldn't be easy.

I guess common courtesy is something of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 05:52 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
I have to tell you, you are all right...BUT it can work both ways.

A year ago a realtor I know (very nice lady) reached out for some help on a double lot a couple from Texas were considering buying.It has a drainage easement issue, which after a number of calls and meetings with the county, I resolved. However they were still concerned and asked me to check out another lot for them. which I did, sitting there for an hour or so taking pictures at sunset as that was key for them.

a month or so later they visited the area, came and saw my model and thanked me. I told them it was all free all I asked was the chance to bid for their house when they decided to build. the guy shook my hand ,looked me in the eye and promised he would.

last week I got a call from the realtor, they had gone behind her back as well as mine and dealt with another builder direct...............nice huh ? Buyers are liars too................

Old 12-15-2015, 06:11 AM

Absolutely true M&M, no argument from me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I have to tell you, you are all right...BUT it can work both ways.

A year ago a realtor I know (very nice lady) reached out for some help on a double lot a couple from Texas were considering buying.It has a drainage easement issue, which after a number of calls and meetings with the county, I resolved. However they were still concerned and asked me to check out another lot for them. which I did, sitting there for an hour or so taking pictures at sunset as that was key for them.

a month or so later they visited the area, came and saw my model and thanked me. I told them it was all free all I asked was the chance to bid for their house when they decided to build. the guy shook my hand ,looked me in the eye and promised he would.

last week I got a call from the realtor, they had gone behind her back as well as mine and dealt with another builder direct...............nice huh ? Buyers are liars too................

Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I love the "Florida guys are the worst" stories......especially considering that many of them are from "up north!"

I have an uncle that used to rant about hiring FL guys. He had a mansion up north (14K sq ft) and remodeled it a couple winters ago. Hired a well known local guy, all interior work which is a big plus in the winter. He arrives homes in the spring and inspects the job, pays the final bill and is generally happy with the work. A few weeks later he heads into the basement only to find all his tools/bicycles/golf clubs are gone! They took the tools and the whole 5 ft high tool box they were in!

My comment: Did you hire Florida guys for that remodel? The fact is there are good/bad everywhere and "Florida is a sunny place for shady people" particularly when people have burned everyone in hometown USA and relocated to Flariduh to start over!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:17 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Buyers are liars too................
Unfortunately it does work both ways. I've had contractors simply not show up as you all have posted. Very sad that's it's almost the norm. What is wrong with a phone call???

On the flip side, twice I've had "buyers" schedule to meet me at a house with the intent to see 3-4 places, (ON WEEKENDS, away from my family!), just to not show up, and no call. I always tell people that I'd rather show during the week since I have a young son and family time is VERY important to us, but if the weekend is the only time they have, then I will do one day. So to then not even show up!?!?!? What is wrong with people??? One couple never returned my calls, and the other lady did finally call back and acted like "what's the big deal? You had nothing to do anyway..." The nerve...

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 AM

You mean kind of like people bad mouth all people from New York just because they're from New York?

In this case the companies I'm dealing with are all natives. We had a lot of work done on our house up north. If someone said they'd be there tomorrow around 8:00, they were. Or they called and explained. That's simply common courtesy and being professional. We've also done quite a bit of work to our house here and have had quite a few people tell us they'd be here at <fill in the day and time> and never show up, never call, never nothing. We've had one company who does but it seems like it's common place down here do just do whatever and forget notifying the people that they gave their word to.

Does it happen everywhere? You betcha but most other places I've been it's been the exception vs the rule. The opposite seems to be the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I love the "Florida guys are the worst" stories......especially considering that many of them are from "up north!"

I have an uncle that used to rant about hiring FL guys. He had a mansion up north (14K sq ft) and remodeled it a couple winters ago. Hired a well known local guy, all interior work which is a big plus in the winter. He arrives homes in the spring and inspects the job, pays the final bill and is generally happy with the work. A few weeks later he heads into the basement only to find all his tools/bicycles/golf clubs are gone! They took the tools and the whole 5 ft high tool box they were in!

My comment: Did you hire Florida guys for that remodel? The fact is there are good/bad everywhere and "Florida is a sunny place for shady people" particularly when people have burned everyone in hometown USA and relocated to Flariduh to start over!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

There are good and bad everywhere unfortunately. You especially see it in seasonal areas where people think you are loaded lol.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
You mean kind of like people bad mouth all people from New York just because they're from New York?

In this case the companies I'm dealing with are all natives. We had a lot of work done on our house up north. If someone said they'd be there tomorrow around 8:00, they were. Or they called and explained. That's simply common courtesy and being professional. We've also done quite a bit of work to our house here and have had quite a few people tell us they'd be here at <fill in the day and time> and never show up, never call, never nothing. We've had one company who does but it seems like it's common place down here do just do whatever and forget notifying the people that they gave their word to.

Does it happen everywhere? You betcha but most other places I've been it's been the exception vs the rule. The opposite seems to be the case here.
Is your area busy with lots of demand for construction? In the "boom of 2005" local companies were hiring superintendents for like 50-60K a year and most of them had zero idea what they were doing! When the slow down happened, these same guys with 1-2 years experience were expecting to get hired at 50-60K again despite the fact those jobs were long gone! Same thing happened with the trades, everyone was super busy and schedules were hectic!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post

Well not all New York, I married a Staten Island girl
So true what you say with stereotypes

Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 AM

704 posts, read 771,266 times
Our very first Florida contractor experience was like a nightmare and it was just a simple paint job on a small house which my husband wound up finishing. We would like to do a few more things to this house but because of the way the contractors are here we are having serious second thoughts. Do we really want the stress and aggravation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte