Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 AM

773 posts, read 785,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Heat stroke, really??? C'mon, a bit dramatic there. Growing up in Michigan, 70 degree water was warm. Fast forward 20yrs, 70 is FREEZING! To each his/her own. You like cool water. We like warm water. Nothing wrong with that. Our 6yr old also won't go in if it's under 86. But he's been here his whole life, so he's used to warm water 8 months out of the year.

Regarding solar, if it's cloudy or brisk cold wind, shut those solar valves off. You're just cooling the water if you don't. Only turn those valves on when it's nice & sunny. That's the only time it's really heating the water.
I was just kidding about the heat stroke, unless you are doing serious laps. Upper 80s and into the 90s would not be good for a workout.

This morning the pool temp was 68.7f. Without the solar cover and about the same overnight temps it was about 4-5 degrees lower. So I guess the solar cover is doing something. The only negative is taking it off. We don't have the roller. I didn't want to clutter the pool deck. But I may be changing my mind about that. And I may be changing my mind about not getting a heat pump or heater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
I thought you meant you had solar panels on the roof. Yeah the solar covers don't do a whole lot. More useful for helping retain the heat overnight. They don't do much actual heating.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
I was just kidding about the heat stroke, unless you are doing serious laps. Upper 80s and into the 90s would not be good for a workout.

This morning the pool temp was 68.7f. Without the solar cover and about the same overnight temps it was about 4-5 degrees lower. So I guess the solar cover is doing something. The only negative is taking it off. We don't have the roller. I didn't want to clutter the pool deck. But I may be changing my mind about that. And I may be changing my mind about not getting a heat pump or heater.
If you can't swim because it is to cold to use, not much point even having a pool.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM

77 posts, read 104,652 times
How m a many hours a day do you run your heater to keep pool warm in this weather, keeping the water at mid 80s? Do you run it all night?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:40 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysue View Post
How m a many hours a day do you run your heater to keep pool warm in this weather, keeping the water at mid 80s? Do you run it all night?
Too many variables to throw out a number. Could be all day. Many nights are too cold to run the heat pump - it just goes into defrost mode. When we're supposed to get several cold nights/cool days in a row, we just shut it off - it takes all day to heat back up, and we don't go in when the air temp is too low, so we just let it slide. From APR to NOV, we swim almost every day. From DEC to MAR it's hit or miss.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Arrow Use the heat coming off your HVAC unit outside, instead!

We are going to install a HVAC (heat pump) heat recovery pool heater. It takes the hot air being blown off your outdoor condenser and puts it in the pool instead. It saves money on your AC bill as well, as the condenser fan does not run when the pool water is cooling it by taking the heat away. $2,000 to buy one and several hundred for a qualified HVAC tech to install. Free pool heat after that and a lower electric bill. Basically, you are getting paid to heat your pool and making your outdoor HVAC equipment last longer.

This is the one we are going to buy:

Heat Recovery Pool Heater | Compare To Solar Pool Heater | HotSpot Energy LLC

Old 01-20-2016, 07:25 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
We are going to install a HVAC (heat pump) heat recovery pool heater. It takes the hot air being blown off your outdoor condenser and puts it in the pool instead. It saves money on your AC bill as well, as the condenser fan does not run when the pool water is cooling it by taking the heat away. $2,000 to buy one and several hundred for a qualified HVAC tech to install. Free pool heat after that and a lower electric bill. Basically, you are getting paid to heat your pool and making your outdoor HVAC equipment last longer.

This is the one we are going to buy:

Heat Recovery Pool Heater | Compare To Solar Pool Heater | HotSpot Energy LLC
Glad to see your post :-) There are only a couple of months when the air and pool heater both run, but even at that, it should pay for itself in a few years.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Glad to see your post :-) There are only a couple of months when the air and pool heater both run, but even at that, it should pay for itself in a few years.
I need my pool to be between 88-90 degrees, because of my nerve issues......so I will be heating mine through most of the summer.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
We are getting an estimate on a pool heater tomorrow,hope we get offered a good deal.Pool is now 70f with a solar cover.
Wife is comfortable swimming at 80f but I need 84f for a minimum,like 86f better
What did you get for quotes, if you do not mind.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 AM

252 posts, read 388,240 times
Pool is 12' x 28' ,quote was $3400 with me running the electric to the area of the heater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte