Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 PM

222 posts, read 201,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Other than repeating what you have heard please explain why the current resale market is WAY OVERPRICED ..... it is not actually.
First.....I wasn't repeating what I HEARD! I was pointing out a FACT from MY EXPERIENCE! When we started looking at older homes a couple of months ago they were way over priced. An early 70's home 3/2 all original inside (meaning NO updates) was selling high 300k! We looked a house that was foreclosed, bought by someone and some (believe me not a lot) renovation were done. It was built in 1974, it was 2/2 and NO pool! The foreclosure price $170k, 6 months later with very very very little upgrades was going for $349k! So it's MY OPINION that, that home was way way over priced! We saw many homes like that. I am not saying that there aren't homes out there that are great deals but those are few and far between. It's like finding a needle in haystack. And if you do find one please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 PM

459 posts, read 585,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Rex I too , at first I thought? Are YOU Crazy??? But my coffee cup was empty, and you, you weren't going anywhere.. So I got up and filled it and was thinking about your reply, by the time I returned to this computer? I AGREE WITH YOU! 100%... Oh, Prices have rebounded here a bit , just like , just about, every other desirable location in America. I had to ask myself? Are there many or even Any, other locations IN AMERICA where say $250-$300K will buy you..... FUN IN THE SUN 365.. in a Late 80's Block Built 1800+sgft Home With 3 bdrm 2 baths 2 car garage a Pool and ...........With Waterfront, accessing a HUGE Harbor and Even the entire world as we know it, beyond? The Answer is TTBOMK NO! No There isn't! So prices may be rebounding a bit from what they were just 2 3 4 years ago, but just about every home for sale today...... will be looked at with envy in a 6 months.. The very best time to have bought was around 3 to 4 years ago.. But Charlotte County Water Front is still a BARGAIN!

That is how I see it myself. The current inventory is aging and seems to be getting older, maybe less turnover, but is still compettively priced. There are not a lot of say 2005+ homes for sale but a lot of 90's and a heck of allot of 80"s stuff which, IMHO, are not desirable from a maintenance point of view, such as aged equipment, roofs, landscape and especially energy efficiency, not to mention that they are sub-par for current codes. There is a big gap between those homes and new construction but that does not make them overpriced. If anything, new construction is overpriced today, again.

That said, however, overall resales are still a good value and pricing is always market driven. The buyers market of yester year has long vanished and folks using that as their base line for "good deals" are fooling themselves. I good quality resale will cost $140 - $160 s.f on average depending on pool and location. There is some lesser quality and dated property out there in the $120 s.f. range too.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
First.....I wasn't repeating what I HEARD! I was pointing out a FACT from MY EXPERIENCE! When we started looking at older homes a couple of months ago they were way over priced. An early 70's home 3/2 all original inside (meaning NO updates) was selling high 300k! We looked a house that was foreclosed, bought by someone and some (believe me not a lot) renovation were done. It was built in 1974, it was 2/2 and NO pool! The foreclosure price $170k, 6 months later with very very very little upgrades was going for $349k! So it's MY OPINION that, that home was way way over priced! We saw many homes like that. I am not saying that there aren't homes out there that are great deals but those are few and far between. It's like finding a needle in haystack. And if you do find one please let me know!
$170 sounds way overpriced but, where was it? Some lots can run that high.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:36 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
I disagree !

Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,562 times
Sorry Folks ........The "Great Deals" Are LONG GONE! Pressure is certainly ON! Without another Market Correction its only going to cost you more for less...... next month..

Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM

704 posts, read 771,432 times
While I live in Venice, I'm noticing housing prices going up fairly significantly and we have only lived here 7 months. My guess, is that if we chose to sell, we could make a half way decent profit already - not that we are going to sell mind you.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM

15 posts, read 13,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Don't forget to check our Rotonda Sands, Meadows and Heights. They are all located on the outside corners of the circle.
These areas have a different feel and are less crowded, more woodsy. Same type of HOA with low dues.
thanks will do, what about the Lakes section, homes looked very nice

Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askibicki View Post
thanks will do, what about the Lakes section, homes looked very nice
Yes, same secluded feeling. Some of the homes we looked at there were on smaller lots though. The ones listed look very nice. That area will have a short drive to Publix, Home Depot and all the big box stores in Port Charlotte.

Edit: be sure to check the elevation of any house you are looking at. I noticed a few with the vented garage doors in the Lakes

Old 01-25-2016, 04:33 PM

222 posts, read 201,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
$170 sounds way overpriced but, where was it? Some lots can run that high.
It was in PGI.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,562 times
Hummm I only see 4 homes at $349 in PGI and ONE has a nasty looking kitchen with Grey... Plank Wannabe Formica cabinets and Old Appliances ? Cheap White Solider Stacked Tile and lots of cheap old carpet and NO POOL! The other 3 are IMHO better choices, and most are closer to the Harbor? Someone who feels they just, Have To Have a PGI address will buy it when the other 3 are gone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
It was in PGI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte