Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,291,040 times

Advertisements

We were back in town the week of New Years 2016 and had a chance to try these tow places that I think have only been open less than a year. Both are on Marion Ave in Punta Gorda.

LeRoys Southern Kitchen.
Leroy's Southern Kitchen And Bar, Southern Food In Punta Gorda Florida

I would not call it traditional BBQ where you can get a rack of ribs, but a bit more refined/upscale (in a good way) with very interesting menu and specials. Kind of like Gourmet cajun-ish-BQ We also enjoyed the music (streaming) selection being played at the time...

We walked by on NYE and they had a big block party going on. It looked like fun but we were just checking things out.

Next door (they share restrooms) is

Isabel and Annabels Mexican Restaurant.
https://www.facebook.com/Isabel-and-...7071322677336/

We enjoyed our meal here as well. I always try the crispy taco and these were great. All the other stuff was also fresh and tasty. Service was good.

Just thought I would put it out there. Hope they both succeed.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:54 PM

747 posts, read 1,007,832 times
Is I & A's the real thing, or is it watered-down-for-middle-America Mexican food?

They seem to have taken the restaurant design book from John Ski's.

Hope they make a ton of money and make it more appealing inside!

We walked past it when we were visiting recently and they were closed, unfortunately.

Would love to know there's a reliable, authentic Mex. food place in town. And one that's open past 8-9 pm! Decor be damned, if the food's good that's what really matters (hence why we go to John Ski's every time we visit!).

Old 02-10-2016, 02:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,806,268 times
I have heard many good reviews about both places. I also heard I&A although Mexican it is not really a hardcore Mexican restaurant with other items on menu.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:59 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,291,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Is I & A's the real thing, or is it watered-down-for-middle-America Mexican food?

They seem to have taken the restaurant design book from John Ski's.

Hope they make a ton of money and make it more appealing inside!

We walked past it when we were visiting recently and they were closed, unfortunately.

Would love to know there's a reliable, authentic Mex. food place in town. And one that's open past 8-9 pm! Decor be damned, if the food's good that's what really matters (hence why we go to John Ski's every time we visit!).

Deans South Of The Border has very good tex/mex and open late and breakfast and live music and cold beers and all ages welcome.

First time there we saw kids getting carded and senior citizens, one with a walker, all having a good time...

Mike

Last edited by Seafood Junky; 02-10-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 03:15 PM

Deans...yep been there quite a few times....and "very good" isn't quite what I'd rate the food. (The cold beer is GREAT, however!)

If you're from Ismay, Montana, yeah it's probably considered exotic stuff.

We typically stay at the Sheraton so Dean's is our walkable go-to late night spot. Fun place.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM

773 posts, read 782,250 times
I'm not a Dean's fan. The food is average, at best, and the margaritas aren't much better. You have to at least have great margaritas if you're going to serve average Mexican food. It seemed my dish was out of the frozen food section at the grocery store.

Went to I&A once. Just as we were walking in, a woman coming out warned us about long wait times for service. She complained most about how long it took to get your check because only the owner (who is cook and part-time waiter too) can handle the money. Service was pretty good until it came time to pay the check.

Food was decent but not what I'm used to at the better Mexican restaurants in the Chicago area. And no margaritas! We were there in August but haven't had the urge to go back. So far, nothing we've tried comes close to Iguana Mia on RT 41 in Ft. Myers. Authentic Mexican and great margaritas. And on Mondays margaritas are $1. We were also at the one in Cape Coral but the food is not as good as at their Ft. Myers location.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:01 AM

Really makes me wonder how (or if) a really authentic non-American food place would do in PG?

Hard to get a read on it.

A great Chinese or other Asian food would be nice. Even a chain like Wahoo's (which are west coast-based) would be a fantastic Mexican food addition to town. Heck, a Baja Fresh would be great too.

Last edited by SJNE17; 02-11-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,806,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Really makes me wonder how (or if) a really authentic non-American food place would do in PG?

Hard to get a read on it.

A great Chinese or other Asian food would be nice. Even a chain like Wahoo's (which are west coast-based) would be a fantastic Mexican food addition to town. Heck, a Baja Fresh would be great too.
Baja Fresh would be great!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:22 PM

SeaRay, my wife and I have thought a Souplantation (also called Sweet Tomato in FL) would be an absolute home run in PG. If anyone has an in with their corporate office, tell 'em they should get on a flight and go check out PG. Closest one is in Ft. Myers. Am surprised they haven't ventured north.

Tujuleez1: I agree 100% with your food assessment. I was being polite in my initial description...which to be blunt is the food sucks unless you're 5+ drinks deep, in which case everything tastes good.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,593,276 times
Deans is always packed. I guess people like crummy food and crappy drinks. It's a gold mine. I like the casual atmosphere. Flip flops and T Shirts. Everyone that I went with liked it. Far from a high end place but we always have a good time there. Same owner as Hurricane Charlies.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 02-11-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte