U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,873 times

Advertisements

Rotonda is a great community. My husband and I have lived here for 4 years. It is very close to Lemon Bay, Charlotte Harbour and the Gulf of Mexico. It is a wonderful area for boating and fishing. It is well kept due to deed restrictions and although there are no sidewalks (I haven't seen many in Northport either except for the main streets) the speed limit is lower and the traffic is much less. I walk nearly every day and the drivers are always very courteous. There are a good mix of age groups and very friendly neighbors. It is only 15 minutes from the Port Charlotte Murdock area where most of the stores are. I think the best way to describe it is peaceful. Not a lot of noise and lots of trees and birds. It is a great place to live. If you want bustle and hustle it is probably not the place for you, but if you want beauty and relaxation at an affordable price it probably is. We live in the Broadmoor Section and are NOT in a flood zone. So don't let that stop you. Check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM

18 posts, read 67,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I live in North Port, here's my comparison. I would choose North Port because North Port is a younger town and I just like it better.

North Port-
younger people
bigger in land area
less expensive, closer to shopping, etc
most of NP is not in a flood zone unless it right by the Mykkahatchee River
not likely to have city water and sewer unless you are in a deed restricted community
both cities are close to golf

Rotonda-
older people
lots of Canadians and Europeans (not that that's bad)
closer to beaches
mostly in a flood zone
confusing streets-ie Rotonda Blvd, St, Ln, Rd, Cir, etc. I get lost every time I go out there
more availability of city water and sewer
both cities are close to golf
North Port is #1

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 22,209 times
Both areas are completely different but if do agree on the drug and crime problem in North Port. I would definately stay away from this area. Rotonda is much quieter, but everything is close and reachable in 15 minutes drive.

Investment wise Rotonda area is a much smarter choice. North Port is too big and it will take 50 years to be built up. Thousands and thousands of empty lots, not very attractive if you ask me.

I don't exactly see the problem that everybody has with the whole flood zone thing. I own several homes and they run around $250-$300 year flood insurance if you have a mortgage on it, thats about it. If you think flooding is a problem and dangerous, lol, then you should not move to Florida. Newer Houses in Rotonda are sitting at least 10 feet above sea level, the canals are at 3.5 feet... If this area ever gets flooded at 10 feet, then 70% of Florida residential area is under water and trust me, then it doesnt matter if you live in North Port or Cape Haze

Definately Rotonda over North Port, unless you need very fast access to I-75 (Rotonda takes 25 minutes to 4 different I-75 exits. And if you choose North Port, choose a gated community for your own safety

Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 AM

80 posts, read 326,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia68 View Post
Both areas are completely different but if do agree on the drug and crime problem in North Port. I would definately stay away from this area.
Just not true. Post facts on a population basis. The population of North Port is almost 50k. Rotonda is not half that size.

Rotonda is a much smaller area in terms of size and population and this equates to lower crime but your are not comparing apples to apples.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM

960 posts, read 1,551,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdber94 View Post
Just not true. Post facts on a population basis. The population of North Port is almost 50k. Rotonda is not half that size.

Rotonda is a much smaller area in terms of size and population and this equates to lower crime but your are not comparing apples to apples.
I can't find statistics for Rotonda, since they are included in Charlotte County statistics but according to the Charlotte Sun Herald overall crime dropped 13.16 percent in 2007 in Charlotte county.

The following information is for North Port from the same source.

"An initial glance is alarming -- a 37 percent hike in overall crime, with 1,849 crimes reported in 2007 compared to 1,343 in 2006, which was 7.8 percent more than 2005."

"As in unincorporated areas, there was a surge in burglaries and larcenies."

"Burglaries went from 466 in 2006 to 483 last year, including 271 forced entries; larcenies mushroomed from 669 the previous year to 1,190 in 2007."

"Nearly $3 million in property, including $730,000 in vehicles, was stolen in the city in 2007.
Of that $3 million, $787,000 was recovered, with more than $600,000 in returned value in vehicles; less than $190,000 of about $2.2 million in nonvehicular stolen property was recovered."

Add to those stats the recent high profile kidnapping/murder of a young mother by a complete stranger and a previous kidnapping/murder of a little girl taken from her own home, and you have people not so keen on North Port.

People can try to defend North Port by saying "those things can happen anywhere". Look at it this way, a bad meal can happen at any restaurant, but are you really going to go back to that restaurant if there is another choice?

Last edited by Carbondated; 02-29-2008 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,758,544 times
Here are a few post about Rotonda on another chat board-I think there are good and bad aspects in every area. The crime stats have gone up because the population has also dramatically increased right along with those stats:

Associations in general work when run properly with rules folks can live with. Rotonda West (RWA) is not one of those associations. They target some people and ignore others.
The rules are old and never updated.
The association does not do what they collect the dues for. Instead it lines the pockets of the members of the board.
Take a look around, over grown weeds, boat trailers on their property! They don't oversee the company they hire to mow. The vacant lots look like hay fields when the are finally mowed once in four months. Do you know they charge the owner of a vacant lot the same yearly fee they do you with a home on it? Do they help or are they running people out of Rotonda West.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I totally agree - I have owned a house there for two years and the management including the board are not there in the association's best interest, for example, the big push for a new association building (Country Club). They used association funding to push this propaganda BS and thankfully the members saw through this and voted it down. I find it offensive and illegal to use assoc. funding for propaganda purposes. Also, try to get a space at the storage lot. They lie through their teeth and you will never get one unless you are one of their chosen ones. I am retiring shortly and intend to run for the board there based on honesty and root out the current "good buddy club".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, its very sad to watch how they spend the property owners money. But nobody is standing up because a lot of owners are overseas and they actually dont care much. One day they will... mark my words.

There is only one solution, the Association needs to be managed by an independant company.

Stop the waste of homeowners money, take care of the important things like canals, drainage moving.

Problem is they are employees of the property owners, but they use their money for useless things.

Also the Nazi like deed restrictions a minority is asking for needs to stop. Stupid letters to homeowners who park a car once in a while in their grass, thats not the purpose of the Deed Restrictions. People who like to live where every house, every roof and every mailbox looks the same should move in a Gated community, NOT ROTONDA WEST because thats what they try to accomplish.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I get letter after letter, from the so called ASSociation RWA. I live in the Oakland Hills(bad area)the association terms it. We are looked down upon and called names. We got hit by the hurricane and we never heard the end of all the so called problem, from RWA. As for the parking on the grass once in a while that just plain stupid. They make themselves look like idiots. Then try to talk to the president of rwa he is the biggest jerk I have ever met. When we elect these people their whole demeanor changes, they turn EVIL. They make over 100,000. for what ? Associations are for overseeing constant problems. Not picking on people that put they trash out a day early. They should make a reality show of these idiots.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Gosh..I just bought a house here...I hope I don't end up regretting that...I like the place a lot right now
-------------------------------------------------------------
Oh wow! Wish I had found this forum before I contracted to purchase my house in Rotonda! Nothing is impossible if you have the numbers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must be on the board, a close friend or on the commitee, because that's exactly how they talk.

Be happy or move out. Unfortunately that's exactly what's happening. They make people leave, very sad.

And yes I attended many meeetings and yes I know exactly about the deed restrictions beeing rewritten, the way the board likes it, tougher more useless restrictions and more useless letters sent out. Focus on the important things.

People choosed this area because of the deed restrictions, I do agree with you, but they didn't choose to be treated like in a gated community, that's a big difference.

LET ME ASK YOU THIS. TELL ME ONE TIME THAT THE ACTUAL MEMEBERS WHERE ASKED ABOUT INPUT ON THE DEED RESTRICTIONS? Never. It's their own agenda, it's the way they want it, basta. Or leave. Thats not how you make a place with 7000 residents better, trust me.

What have I dont to make Rotonda better? I invested millions of dollars in this community, built some of the most beautiful homes in there, added property value left and right... and get kicked in the butt every single time.

It's not the 138.00/year that bothers, could be 1000.00/year, I care less, it's the way the money is spent, the way residents get a return. And I'm not talking about playing Bingo in the community center.

Anyway, it's not worth it. I will be another one that will leave when the time is right, along with many other wealthy people I know, who don't appreciate the way they are treated and how to budget is spent.

Rumors spread by nothing, lol, I have a folder containing more then 800 pages over that community.

Get a grip, people leave if things don't change for the better...

This is a forum of free speach, no reason to come here and tell people to leave if they disagree with you. That's what forums are for, discuss things.

Funny, I suggested that 8 years ago to RWA, get a forum so you actually get input from owners, but they wont do that, not even with their fantastic homepage www.rotondawest.org . Why? Pretty simple if you ask me, they don't care about the input.

Proof that I'm wrong, it takes two hours to setup a forum on that site...

Let's see, I doubt it will happen.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 02-29-2008 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM

960 posts, read 1,551,039 times
If the only major drawback for Rotonda is an over zealous HOA, then that says a lot.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 PM

774 posts, read 2,184,064 times
"add to those stats the recent high profile kidnapping/murder of a young mother by a complete stranger and a previous kidnapping/murder of a little girl taken from her own home, and you have people not so keen on North Port".

Last time I checked there were no borders between North Port and any nearby community. No check points.... No passports needed.
A psychopathic killer could strike any community--in this case the guy was from Michigan originally and may have committed crimes there or anywhere between there and here.

Point is--I wouldn't assume you're safe because you live 20 minutes away. In fact, a cleaver psychopath would pick a remote area and NOT an area he lives in.

I spent the day in Rotunda... I noticed lots of condo's/apts going up. If the population rises significantly over the next 5 years, are we to assume crime won't rise as well??

IMO we all live in the SW Florida community... problems like crime, jobs, etc, effect us all.

Mikey

Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM

360 posts, read 1,297,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post

I spent the day in Rotunda... I noticed lots of condo's/apts going up. If the population rises significantly over the next 5 years, are we to assume crime won't rise as well??
The zoning in MOST of Rotonda is SFH 3.5. Only two streets in Rotonda are zoned for multi-familly and they are both in the oldest section of Rotonda (before more conscious zoning) and they are in Pebble Beach and Oakland Hills -- Boundary Blvd and Rotonda Blvd., North. They are both pretty much built out, maybe some lots for triplexes. Many of them are aged restricted (55+) some are not. They have two condo complexes just outside the circle, but they are not apartments, they are condominiums with deed restrictions. I don't think you have to worry about a build up of multi-family here in Rotonda, it is just outside of Rotonda, on Cape Haze Dr, Placida Road and possibly Gasparilla Road, that could see more condos.

As far as the deed restrictions, I appreciate them, now maybe it is because I mow my lawn and don't have any boats or travel trailers. I think the deed restrictions keep the values up in Rotonda. Most people in my neighborhood work hard to keep their houses and yards looking nice. I do not see any overgrown areas or boats trailers. I do see some parking on the lawn violations, but I do not think that lawns should be parking spaces.

Rotonda is a subdivision of Englewood (Charlotte County), not an individual city.

I would say crime seems to follow the cheap rents and cheap housing... look at Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres and probably Charlotte County will be next if the prices continue to plunge ...

Last edited by 2peaches2oranges; 03-01-2008 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM

69 posts, read 226,571 times
I work in Venice, North Port, Englewood, Rotonda and Sarasota, all have their own charm. My mom lives in Rotonda, she's retired and doesn't mind driving to go to the stores, beach, etc. I have friends that live in all the other cities that I mentioned. Why are you limiting yourself to Rotonda and North Port, have you checked out Venice, it has great schools and hardly no crime? I can help you get further aquainted with any of these areas. Kim : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte