Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:05 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,937,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
So you bought a house that has an airport in town,long before you arrived here, and you are going to raise a stink about jet noise to the city council? Smh!
That's as bad as the developer who is building Waterford Estates next to the Sheriff's shooting range and is now suing to have it shut down.

Last edited by MikMal; 03-24-2016 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
What we did hear in PGI was lots of ambulances. Not surprising with the average age of the residents.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:22 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
So you bought a house that has an airport in town,long before you arrived here, and you are going to raise a stink about jet noise to the city council? Smh!
As I see it, due to the growth in the PG area from all these folks who've discovered it and want to move here, the PG airport is bound to expand exponentially over time too. The airport reports increasing, even record numbers of visitors, and we notice an increase in the number of jets sitting at the gates there even now compared to the number just a few years ago.

So I'd anticipate an even greater amount of flight traffic and further expansion of the airport over time as further housing development takes place to accomodate the increasing demand from those folks from the northeast and midwest join others who believe they have found their retirement paradise and just must move here. It's a natural consequence, and something that those transplants might consider, ie, the effects of increasing crowding, in their wild enthusiasm for their piece of paradise.

Makes me wonder how many folks moving into those newly constructed houses near and in flight paths of the PG airport-that, BTW predated those houses by many years, consider the noise from the airport when they move there.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 AM

46 posts, read 49,815 times
Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly SeaRay35! We flew in to Punta Gorda via Allegiant just this past weekend and found it so much more convenient than Ft Myers. I've never been bothered by jet noise at my house in PGI, in fact I can't recall ever hearing any planes coming or going. If Juliekristine629 raises a stink with the city council because she "thought she left that back in Chicago". I'll double her stink because I find the airport at Punta Gorda convenient, efficient, well maintained and a great value to those of us that are part timers (who also pay higher property taxes due to no homestead exemption). I'm sure it also provides significant revenues for the city and county. We already made reservations for May, June, September and November.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 AM

67 posts, read 85,345 times
Appreciate all the information and opinions. Obviously an airport nearby has advantages and disadvantages and how important each is varies from person to person.
My concern had to do with the big increase in commercial flights from 2010 to 2015. Passengers almost quadrupled in that time period. That coupled with articles in the local paper about meetings and complaints caused me some concern.

I'm glad to see the noise is not a big issue. Again thanks to everyone on the board for the information.
I am looking forward to checking out your lovely community in May.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,036 times
We are relatively close to the airport and rarely hear any noise. It happens so infrequently that we are surprised when we hear it.

Gary

Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM

186 posts, read 213,062 times
Quote:
I was aware, fellas, of the airport before we moved here. We lived in a condo locally for 4 months before we closed on the house, and knew the extent of noise.

In fact, I like the airport. I think it's a great local asset for business and the convenience of our community.

What I stated was that the citizens in Punta Gorda have the collective right to influence the growth of flights and flight paths which minimize noise. At this point I have No Issue with the airport. However, I'm projecting out 20 or 30 years when noise May be an issue, if the county and state decide to expand.

From what I can tell, the jets come over the harbor, and bank to the northeast to land. In PGI I never hear them takeoff.

The reason that Punta Gorda is such a special place to live is that we are proactive and forward looking. We work hard to maintain our quality of life. I don't think that's a controversial position.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:31 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,238 times
I am not real worried about noise in Punta Gorda in 20 or 30 years.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As I see it, due to the growth in the PG area from all these folks who've discovered it and want to move here, the PG airport is bound to expand exponentially over time too. The airport reports increasing, even record numbers of visitors, and we notice an increase in the number of jets sitting at the gates there even now compared to the number just a few years ago.

So I'd anticipate an even greater amount of flight traffic and further expansion of the airport over time as further housing development takes place to accomodate the increasing demand from those folks from the northeast and midwest join others who believe they have found their retirement paradise and just must move here. It's a natural consequence, and something that those transplants might consider, ie, the effects of increasing crowding, in their wild enthusiasm for their piece of paradise.

Makes me wonder how many folks moving into those newly constructed houses near and in flight paths of the PG airport-that, BTW predated those houses by many years, consider the noise from the airport when they move there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I am not real worried about noise in Punta Gorda in 20 or 30 years.
Me either, unless it disturbs my dirt nap. Lmao. Some of these threads and posts are comical over the last 6 months or so. I don't know if the posters are serious or not. I hope they're just kidding.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Me either, unless it disturbs my dirt nap. Lmao. Some of these threads and posts are comical over the last 6 months or so. I don't know if the posters are serious or not. I hope they're just kidding.
I think she was taking herself dead serious about complaining to the city council and maybe didn't give a lot of thought to the 20 or 30 years.

I was kidding.....a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte