Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 07:03 AM

66 posts, read 64,009 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience buying palms from the various tree guys that drive around the neighborhoods? I have been quoted under $200 each installed for Foxtails, Bottle palms, and Royals (if I buy 2). Can anyone speak for the quality of these palms?

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 07:28 AM

493 posts, read 636,669 times
Bill, the price means nothing without knowing the size. I can't help you with answering your question about these truck guys but I can give you a recomendation for Powell's nursery in Punta Gorda. Joseph Powell was great to deal with and very knowledgeable and helpful. I bought 9 trees from him and will be puying more. He's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Good luck with whatever you decide. Mark

Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM

81 posts, read 97,510 times
palms

Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
The guys selling from their trailers are good to deal with. The go to the Island daily and buy fresh dug trees ... better than the local nursery who pots them and hold them forever at 5x the price too.

I paid $125 each for 4-6' trees, Pygmy, Fox, Queens. All planted and they did a heck of a nice job. Been 4 years and no losses.

$150 for a good size tree is top dollar - $200 and you're being ripped.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
Bill, the price means nothing without knowing the size. I can't help you with answering your question about these truck guys but I can give you a recomendation for Powell's nursery in Punta Gorda. Joseph Powell was great to deal with and very knowledgeable and helpful. I bought 9 trees from him and will be puying more. He's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Good luck with whatever you decide. Mark
X2 for Powell. The mother is a trip to deal with

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
The guys selling from their trailers are good to deal with. The go to the Island daily and buy fresh dug trees ... better than the local nursery who pots them and hold them forever at 5x the price too.

I paid $125 each for 4-6' trees, Pygmy, Fox, Queens. All planted and they did a heck of a nice job. Been 4 years and no losses.

$150 for a good size tree is top dollar - $200 and you're being ripped.
I would agree that $200 is too much for a 6' tree which is why I stated that tree size is important. I think I paid in the $200 to $250 range for some of mine but they were 12' to 16' tall. The local nursey was growing these trees on their property but the little ones were in pots as you suggested. I was ready to buy my trees directly from a Pine Island guy but changed my mind when I met the folks at Powells. If you're purely looking at cost savings the trailer guys are probably going to initially be your cheapest route.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,677 times
Two things you don't purchase off of the back of trucks.....trees and meat

Gary

Old 03-25-2016, 02:20 PM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Two things you don't purchase off of the back of trucks.....trees and meat

Gary

I heard that trees aren't allowed where you live but maybe they have lightened up a bit and allow meat now if it is grocery store certified ...

Sea Ray Mark - I tend to agree; however, the nursery guy really has nothing "extra" to bring to the table. I bought my trees as said from the local guys but I did spend about $3,000 at a good nursery for all of my shrubs, bark etc.

I actually tried the nursery to start and found their material was inferior and they hired out the planting so didn't really see much point to it. Maybe I was lucky but I got a great result and so have my neighbors.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I heard that trees aren't allowed where you live but maybe they have lightened up a bit and allow meat now if it is grocery store certified ...

Sea Ray Mark - I tend to agree; however, the nursery guy really has nothing "extra" to bring to the table. I bought my trees as said from the local guys but I did spend about $3,000 at a good nursery for all of my shrubs, bark etc.

I actually tried the nursery to start and found their material was inferior and they hired out the planting so didn't really see much point to it. Maybe I was lucky but I got a great result and so have my neighbors.
I guess what your nursery guy brings to the table depends on what you need. I know absolutely nothing about landscaping, palm trees, florida plants, shrubs and flowers so the nursery guy took the time to ride my wife and I around the yard (on more them one occasion)to educate us on some of the hundreds of different species he had. He also recommended a concrete landscape curbing guy and a landscaper. He called them while I was there and told them I would be calling so they knew to get back to me. They did and they've been great. If you have some knowledge of all of this stuff and know the right people maybe you don't need the extra service that I needed so for some the truck guys might be a great way to go but not for the horticulturally handcapped like myself. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte