U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,451,917 times

Advertisements

It's official, our closing is set for this next Tuesday! We are so excited and if you have seen my previous posts we have been planning and working on this move for over a year now. I can't believe it's finally time. Ok, I am a little nervous to.

When we visited in December we toured punta gorda, port Charlotte, north port and englewood. We liked all but find the best deals in port Charlotte and north port. We are going to be flying down end of April to look at and hopefully purchase a home. Our budget is tight, $124k is really the most we prefer to spend and were completely fine with fixer uppers or homes that need updating. I understand we won't get into a five star neighborhood and that's fine but we do want to avoid the least desirable areas. Of port Charlotte, I understand that to be between midway Blvd and kings hwy around easy street. I also plan to avoid any home real close to tamiami or the interstate. I'm not real sure of areas in north port or punta gorda to avoid.. Anywhere specific?

We also understand north port has mostly homes on well. We have always had city but, I would think there's not a major issue with having well water? The chance of the well drying up is pretty slim I would think. Is there anything we should know about having well water in the area? Is it good since you save money(I would think it's cheaper).

We also plan to, within a year of buying, have a pool built. We would have the very basic of pools with cage. Nothing fancy. Looking around at costs were estimating $30000? To low or high? Another concern is we will buy a home and later learn, for whatever reason, that a pool cannot be built there. Is there anything we need to watch for to make sure we can? I know of course the yard needs to be large enough, but anything else?

So, a few homes we are interested in right now and locations:
Near intersection of Cincinnati st and Nicolette ave in north port.
Electra ave in north port
Caviar st in north port

Elmira Blvd in punta gorda

Gladys ave in port Charlotte
Ogden st in port Charlotte
Grenada st in port Charlotte
Annette st in port Charlotte

Those are general locations of homes we have liked. All are listed in the 120k range and under. Most need work, which is fine but some are fairly move in ready. Any info or feedback on the areas would be great! Being from out of state, were nervous about finding a nice looking home in a not so great area. As a rule of thumb, will looking at the neighbors houses/yards to see if it's kept up really help us know if it's a good area?

Any additional thoughts and advice welcome! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 PM

9,743 posts, read 4,086,776 times
You may want to check the flood maps. Zone X does not require flood insurance by mortgagers.

I had a basic heated pool installed about five years ago and it was 30K. Besides property size there may be setbacks especially if home is on canal. Also, make sure there is easy access for the pool contractor to get in equipment like a back hoe. Otherwise it may cost more.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:32 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,451,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
You may want to check the flood maps. Zone X does not require flood insurance by mortgagers.

I had a basic heated pool installed about five years ago and it was 30K. Besides property size there may be setbacks especially if home is on canal. Also, make sure there is easy access for the pool contractor to get in equipment like a back hoe. Otherwise it may cost more.
We are hoping to buy in zone X but not ruling out others. It will be cash deal though. Still rather be out of flood zone and we plan to self insure (only with flood, we will have a homeowners and wind policy)

Did that 30k Include pool cage? thanks for the reply and tips!

Old 03-25-2016, 02:45 PM

9,743 posts, read 4,086,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
We are hoping to buy in zone X but not ruling out others. It will be cash deal though. Still rather be out of flood zone and we plan to self insure (only with flood, we will have a homeowners and wind policy)

Did that 30k Include pool cage? thanks for the reply and tips!
Pool cage and heater. Basic cement deck.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:45 PM

252 posts, read 355,351 times
Ogden and Grenada are generally good areas,I wouldn't want to move to the Gladys st area,not familiar with Annette st.If you are planning on a pool buy a home with the pool already in place and if financing buy out of the flood zone as flood insurance is high and will probably get higher.Would think one could find a home not in a flood zone with a pool for around the figure you are looking to spend.Wells in North Port can sometimes be a headache and also costly to maintain to keep good usable water in a house.It would take quite a great well to furnish a household and a pool.One might also want to avoid the area where sewer lines are being installed as that adds quite a bit to the yearly cost of a home.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,173,459 times
No problem at all with filling a pool with the well water. We have an artisian well and have been told it will never run out. You must treat the water coming into the house so it doesnt smell like rotten eggs. We have no problem and very limitedcost. Salt for the softener and clean the holding tank once in a while. Done. And it's free, just pay electric to pump it out of the ground.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,051,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Gladys ave in port Charlotte
Any additional thoughts and advice welcome! Thanks!
Gladys ave in port Charlotte Do you mean Gladis (I couldn't find Gladys)? If so,

Old 03-25-2016, 04:37 PM

11,115 posts, read 18,187,388 times
Is anyone familiar with the CocoPlum condominiums? There are 3 on the market and seem to be lingering, 2nd flrs. Are there issues with the water in that complex, or other issues? Traffic, the public park behind it, management, location ?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 PM

252 posts, read 355,351 times
North Port water problems
North Port well problems boost city water's appeal | HeraldTribune.com

Old 03-25-2016, 11:46 PM

1,819 posts, read 2,048,077 times
We've been searching for properties in the Punta Gorda area too, although our budget is quite a bit higher. We haven't concentrated on homes closer to $100K. I've noticed that most homes closer to $100K seem to be in or close to the 'red' crime areas. You do get a lot more home for the money if you're not on a canal though.

Your quite young, judging by your photograph. I assume you both have jobs lined up in Florida. I can't afford the huge pay cut that I'd take if I had to work in Florida, so I'm stuck in Minnesota until I retire, which is getting closer every day.

It's not clear why you need to limit yourself to $124K to make it a cash deal. I'm assuming you could finance with a larger down payment and buy a nicer home, that already has a pool, in a nicer area. Maybe you have a strong desire to be debt free, or there is some other reason. We are debt free, and have been for many years. We actually would have been better off financially, if we had taken an auto loan and didn't pay off our mortgage, since we would have made a lot more money in the market. Although being debt free does give you peace of mind, but the peace of mind has a price tag attached to it.

But for your age range, it seems a bit odd to limit yourself to a budget of only $124K to make a cash deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte