Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 PM

413 posts, read 828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Not an option sir. Never an option to go uninsured.

The premium is not a big deal, most are within spitting distance if compared apples to apples. That's what i have to tighten up on, since each firm (or broker) added a little tweak between estimates (since I didn't know what to ask for in preparing a quote, not having been thru this rodeo before). One put $1k in fishing gear & personal effects, for example, while another put $5k. That's a $20 premium difference right there for same carrier (two different brokers). Add up the ~8 or 9 premium line items and it's $5 here, $20 there, next thing you know it's a hundred or so difference, or in other words they're all likely about right on top of each other if aligned apples to apples.

Also, good service and ease of process counts for a few bucks too, as does quality of carrier. Don't mind paying a little more for things to be a no-brainer from a process standpoint.
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
Everett Dirksen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 16,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
Everett Dirksen
You sound like the Government.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

306 posts, read 391,061 times
Default Freshwater I/O Boat in salt water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've been in the boating business for the past 25 or so years, so maybe I can give you some insight and tips...

Most of the boating you are discussing is inside protected waters, so any boat, from about 18 feet up, is going to be safe and comfortable in normal weather conditions. I STRONGLY suggest buying an outboard boat vs an IO or inboard, because of one factor...........SALT. Although I have owned as many IO's and inboards as outboards, eventually that salt is going to corrode the insides of the cast iron block and manifolds, regardless of how much you flush or use a salt eliminator when you flush. Manifolds are good for about 3-5 years in Florida, then you toss them and start over. We just replaced the heads and intake manifold on my Son's boat because of rust, and he is a fanatic about maintenance and flushing.

Don
Hi All, this is a great thread! Thanks for the insights above Don. We just closed on our lot in PC, are coming back next month to finalize the model and get the process started! Should be there mid-to late next year, if all goes well. We're on a canal with pretty quick access to the lagoon and then the loch.

I currently own an 18'2" 1995 Wellcraft Eclipse, I/O. It's a really solid boat and it's paid off! So, I'm not anxious to get rid of it when we get there.

Besides flushing the motor after every boating outing, is there anything else I need to do with a freshwater boat to make it salt water ready? Do I need different plugs or other modifications?

If I get 3-5 more years out of it before corrosion kills it, I would be happy. Maybe by then we can by a center console or similar.

Thanks for any tips!

Semper Fi,

Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Sgt. Rich
Thank you to your service to our nation.
The question is, what is the minimum draft on the IO? If you're only into boating, not a concern. But if you want to access our abundance of backwater fishing, you'll want an outboard and that IO will not have the value here it does where ever you're coming from.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the reply MA. And please support the USO if you can as a way of thanks.

Ill have to verify the draft on my hull but I'm thinking about 18", or a tad more.

Do I need to be concerned about making any changes before playing in saltwater?

I do fish and will make do with my boat,or make friends that have fishing boats!

Can't wait to be a FL resident again! Grew up there in the 70s.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Thanks for the reply MA. And please support the USO if you can as a way of thanks.

Ill have to verify the draft on my hull but I'm thinking about 18", or a tad more.

Do I need to be concerned about making any changes before playing in saltwater?

I do fish and will make do with my boat,or make friends that have fishing boats!

Can't wait to be a FL resident again! Grew up there in the 70s.
You can do lots of things, just dont go shallow... Make sure you can flush the motor with fresh water when you are done boating. Also if your trailer is not galv. or aluminum, it will start rusting pretty quick.

Also FL marine police are serious about laws and regulations and they have the manpower (compared to here in MD). So just make sure you are 'in compliance'. Goes for fuel/oil/etc spills.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply SJ. Good points.

Yeah, it's not a shallow water boat, as it's a middle Vee I would say.

For the really shallow stuff, I'll use a Standup Paddleboard! I agree about flushing and will have water accessible at our pier, will flush after every outing.

I think my plan is to bring this boat and use it a few years, then sell or donate it and buy a center console boat. Unless the wife wants a deck boat. I was doing some looking at craigslist in PC and wow, a lot of boats for sale for reasonable prices!

Thanks again for the tips.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:43 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
Quote:
Hi All, this is a great thread! Thanks for the insights above Don. We just closed on our lot in PC, are coming back next month to finalize the model and get the process started! Should be there mid-to late next year, if all goes well. We're on a canal with pretty quick access to the lagoon and then the loch.

I currently own an 18'2" 1995 Wellcraft Eclipse, I/O. It's a really solid boat and it's paid off! So, I'm not anxious to get rid of it when we get there.

Besides flushing the motor after every boating outing, is there anything else I need to do with a freshwater boat to make it salt water ready? Do I need different plugs or other modifications?

If I get 3-5 more years out of it before corrosion kills it, I would be happy. Maybe by then we can by a center console or similar.

Thanks for any tips!

Semper Fi,
Like others have said an I/O is not ideal down here.

If you have an I/O, you MUST have a boat lift or trailer it....unless your outdrive can be tilted all the way out of the water. It won't last a year down here with the OD in the water.

If you are trailering it or have a lift you shouldn't have to change anything for saltwater use. I would make sure you install the correct sacrificial zinc anodes as you may currently have aluminum anodes for FW, that's about it. I'm not a big flusher myself, and I keep my outboard pontoon in the water all year (no lift).

Also, get ready for the sun to destroy anything not covered.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Learned something new.

Thanks HarborRat, never heard of a sacrificial zinc anode! After much googling I kind of understand its purpose, but not its application or location.

My boat will be on a lift, under a cover too but still.

Do I attach this to my stern drive in some fashion?

Curious and still a bit confused.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Quote:
Thanks HarborRat, never heard of a sacrificial zinc anode! After much googling I kind of understand its purpose, but not its application or location.

My boat will be on a lift, under a cover too but still.

Do I attach this to my stern drive in some fashion?

Curious and still a bit confused.
There are many different ones, easiest would be that attach to trim pistons
This should be helpful

http://www.boatzincs.com/mercruiser-zinc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte