Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,997,474 times

Advertisements

We brought a 34' Maxum cruiser down with us in '08 and enjoyed many weekends aboard (mainly on the hook, as marinas are quite costly down here). Back then, marina fuel was $5/gallon, so a trip just down to the Boca area and back up to PC ran us $300 easily in fuel (twin 4.3 I/Os). And I simply couldn't keep up with the corrosion battle & other maintenance. I was in the engine room more than enjoying it. And no matter how much attention I gave the upholstery or how many layers of protection I put on, that orange ball in the sky just eats everything up. It was a losing battle and I finally gave up and tearfully sold her. It was a sad day. I met my wife on that boat, spent our wedding weekend on it, and our son LOVED it since he was born. He misses his "boat bed".
I like my CC's now with very little vinyl. When we get home, it takes me 15 mins to flush the motor and rinse everything down, then in the pool with our boy, who's now almost 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 AM

493 posts, read 636,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We brought a 34' Maxum cruiser down with us in '08 and enjoyed many weekends aboard (mainly on the hook, as marinas are quite costly down here). Back then, marina fuel was $5/gallon, so a trip just down to the Boca area and back up to PC ran us $300 easily in fuel (twin 4.3 I/Os). And I simply couldn't keep up with the corrosion battle & other maintenance. I was in the engine room more than enjoying it. And no matter how much attention I gave the upholstery or how many layers of protection I put on, that orange ball in the sky just eats everything up. It was a losing battle and I finally gave up and tearfully sold her. It was a sad day. I met my wife on that boat, spent our wedding weekend on it, and our son LOVED it since he was born. He misses his "boat bed".
I like my CC's now with very little vinyl. When we get home, it takes me 15 mins to flush the motor and rinse everything down, then in the pool with our boy, who's now almost 7.
I hear you HH. Maintenance is a big issue and will only be worse if I bring her down there. Thanks for reminding me about how much worse the elements are. There's alot of gelcoat, sunbrella, isengalss, vinyl, and carpet on those boats. A smaller "hose down" boat is sounding better. Can still do the overnight thing in a small boat if I go to a marina with an attached hotel.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
Can still do the overnight thing in a small boat if I go to a marina with an attached hotel.
Exactly! Tween Waters Inn and South Seas Resorts (both on Captiva) are popular with boaters. Pink Shell on Ft Myers Beach is great too when the water isn't nasty. That place is pricey though.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times
Quote:
Exactly! Tween Waters Inn and South Seas Resorts (both on Captiva) are popular with boaters. Pink Shell on Ft Myers Beach is great too when the water isn't nasty. That place is pricey though.
We have found some good deals at the Shell, just have to be flexible if not you are right can be very pricey.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
We have found some good deals at the Shell, just have to be flexible if not you are right can be very pricey.
I NEVER see anything under $300/nt there. We have friends from MI that have a 2BR condo there so we go when they're here (our boy LOVES the octopus pool!). If you ever see a great deal there, let me know! We're usually pretty flexible with dates.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 AM

493 posts, read 636,566 times
Quote:
I NEVER see anything under $300/nt there. We have friends from MI that have a 2BR condo there so we go when they're here (our boy LOVES the octopus pool!). If you ever see a great deal there, let me know! We're usually pretty flexible with dates.
$300 per night is pretty steep but if you run out there in a small boat instead of burning 30 gals per hour to get there and back with a boat you can sleep on it's not that bad.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times
Quote:
Deluxe gulf front studio King, 1st week in August $216 per night. Villas $284 and that was the 1st date I pulled up. I'm sure there are plenty of others. We have stayed there a few times and have had some decent rates, or we have booked through our timeshare if available.
3rd week in August from $189 per night.
2nd week in September from $161.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,312 times
Here's something I came across today while at an outdoor event. A place selling clothes had these on the lawn for people to walk in and try stuff on. Couldn't care less about the clothes, all I could think about was, "THIS WOULD WORK ON A BOAT THAT DOESN'T HAVE A PORTA POTTI!"

(My wife probably thought I was nuts....)

Anyway, yes you can stand in it. Or at least I could, I'm 5'9". Height of this pop-up "tent" is right about that. Footprint is small, 3' square. Could easily strap a porta potti down and stash this thing in storage, stop and pop it open, and presto, private well ventilated bathroom area.

Here's a couple of random links:

https://www.amazon.com/GigaTent-Pop-.../dp/B00CP8SJVW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JboKAnFedY

Anyway, that's my great idea for the day....

Old 07-17-2016, 07:10 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
$300 per night is pretty steep but if you run out there in a small boat instead of burning 30 gals per hour to get there and back with a boat you can sleep on it's not that bad.
What are the ballpark operating costs for boats? I realize that's a loaded question, since it depends on so many factors, size of the boat, age, maintenance, storage, insurance, fuel, etc. We only own a 8 foot plastic Jon boat and a paddle boat that we use on our small lake back in Minnesota. The operating costs for those tiny boats is nothing. Eventually, we would be interested in buying a real boat when we move to SW Florida.

The fuel costs at 30 gallons per hour sounds pretty expensive. I assume thats for a pretty large boat with large engines. What are typical operating costs for various sized boats? We probably would be interested in about 24' to 32', probably with a cabin, or at least with a head.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Boat ownership has it good points and bad. If you want to see a good comedy show go to the boat ramp on weekends. It's hilarious. Some people back down to the water with their truck tires in the salt water. If the truck has only rear wheel drive and they hit the slippery algae the truck will keep going into the water. Boat ramps are sometimes a hazard .
What gets me is when you invite some non boat people to go with you for the day, they show up with a towel and hat and sunglasses on and not offer to bring the drinks or help pay for the gas. When the trip is over and as soon as you arrive they are the first to bail. Leaving you to clean the boat and flush the motor.
No, I have had my fun with boats, like they say the best days having a boat is the day you get it and the day you sell it.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte