Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:02 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCliving View Post
So what kind of objection/concerns letter do they want us to write and deliver before this July meeting?
I think I'd like to OPT-OUT if they don't mind.
Why not just make us all get new septic systems for $13,000 and finance that for us over 26 years?
Of course the vacant lots won't need one until they build.

The financial burden they are putting on those of us who thought we were set for the rest of our lives is akin to a getting Catastrophic Medical problem.
What a slap in the face.

Where and when are these meetings? Who are these people making these decisions? Are they elected or hired employees. I just can't fathom a hand full of people doing this the OUR community.
Yeah, 80% of the population would love to opt-out! $13k for a new septic?? Try $7-10k MAX.
The financial burden has been argued to death since the beginning. At first the commissioners (4 of them were different back then) empathized with the outcry and voted to "table" the discussions (plus we were still in the midst of a recession). A year later it was back on the discussion table and has only gained steam. Area 1 (E/W Spring Lake) is of course under construction, and next week the BOCC votes to proceed with area 2 (which, regardless how much public outcry, they will still vote yes). They DON'T CARE about the citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 13,904 times
Sitting in the meeting.
They put Ackerman sewer 5th on the list.
1st issue took 2 hrs.
I figure our sewer hearing will be about Midnight.
Most of the people that came to speak, left at the 6:45 break.
Smoothie move Board of Commissioners

Also the letter was mailed out on 6/29 and objection letters had to be mailed by 6/30.
These guys are true politicians.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 PM

This is what they have been doing for years now with all of the sewer meetings

Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Sitting in the meeting.
Also the letter was mailed out on 6/29 and objection letters had to be mailed by 6/30.
These guys are true politicians.
Did they say that letters had to be mailed by 6/30? My letter says, " ... must be submitted 20 days from receipt of the notice..." which I did. But if they changed it to 6/30 then I guess my comments won't be considered (which I know they won't be anyway since they are against the sewer project).

Old 07-22-2016, 06:07 PM

My take is that they tabled it for another year while still going ahead with the engineering. If that makes sense. The turn came when one lady with 10 lots and a 2 bath house was assessed $300,000.00.
It bothered me when they were talking about the sewers on 41. There were a few vacant lot owners that would pay around $180,000 because of frontage on 2 roads. Apparently lots in that area are 50X100. They owned something like 5 lots on each road and were being assessed for 10 lot road frontage. They tabled that issue also but one board member was concerned about the delay because of the car dealership going in.
Forget the little guy. We have to take care of Mr. HUGE
I know that for every election from now on I am voting against ALL incumbents.
As Ross Perot said " Time to clean the barn"
If they did a good job thank them for their service. If not send them packing just the same.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:49 PM

There was a speaker at the meeting that was collecting emails to keep people informed on issues with this project.
If you are on here and can contact me, I'd love to be put on the mailing list.

Someone said there was a legal action taken to stop one of these projects once before.
Does anyone have any info. on what that was about and how to get it started.

54% of the lots in Phase II are vacant
Approx. 70% of the improved lots are more than 2 blocks from any water.
They say they tested and found pollutants in the river. Nitrogen (now I'm pretty sure I don't crap nitrogen so it's not me)
Yet they complain that septic systems pollute the ground water.....
Apples and oranges
HOW ABOUT TESTING the GROUND WATER in the target area and tell us what you find?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
There was a speaker at the meeting that was collecting emails to keep people informed on issues with this project.
If you are on here and can contact me, I'd love to be put on the mailing list.

Someone said there was a legal action taken to stop one of these projects once before.
Does anyone have any info. on what that was about and how to get it started.

54% of the lots in Phase II are vacant
Approx. 70% of the improved lots are more than 2 blocks from any water.
They say they tested and found pollutants in the river. Nitrogen (now I'm pretty sure I don't crap nitrogen so it's not me)
Yet they complain that septic systems pollute the ground water.....
Apples and oranges
HOW ABOUT TESTING the GROUND WATER in the target area and tell us what you find?
Broken record. ALL of this has been beaten to death with the BOCC for MANY years now. No lawyer will take on the county. Been there, tried that in 2010 and 2012. They DID test the ground water in the affected areas. Coincidentally, they were caught testing immediately after heavy summer rainstorms right next to road drainage points and in swails. But of course that "scientific data" was used in the county's battle to get their precious sewers.
I PM'd you Susan's info if you want to join the fight.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:

LOL...it's definitely you .... It comes from your urine.

Good luck with your fight, I don't think you will ever be able to stop it but there may be ways to lower the cost to the property owners.

Gary

Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
The only way to stop this is to get the state legislature to outlaw MSBU system, make them all MSTU, and require taxpayer voter approval of any assessments, increases. Write your state Congresscritter

Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Funny thing is.... If the vacant lot owners walk away, and no one bids on the tax sale, I believe, everyone in the county will share the cost of the lost taxes which will include the $15,000 sewer assessment for each lot.

Just like we all share the burden from the 607 pages of properties on the county tax sale list to date.
https://charlotte.lienexpress.net/certificates

So it's not just the owners of properties in the Phase II area who will be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte