Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times

Advertisements

Sad night in PG. Woman killed during lethal force demonstration at police headquarters. Trying to link the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 PM

Florida woman accidentally shot by police during citizen training - NY Daily News

Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 PM

186 posts, read 213,078 times
OMG, is that terrible! Can't even begin to believe it.

We did the same exercise at the Charlotte County Police Academy I attended. Everything was blanks. The deputies had guns, but never fired shots. At least not in my group.

An apparent clear gap in gun handling preparation.

I feel terrible for her family, and awful for the policeman. He may well lose his job, at the very least. This will also cost the city mightily. The training program may also be aborted going forward.

Very sad news for our fine city, if it's all true. Too much tragedy around here lately.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:20 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Devastating all around; the victim's family, the officer and his family, and the community as a whole. Shocking to see such a tragic incident, let alone so close to home.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:26 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
I know that in the Dallas area, after a blue-on-blue shooting incident in training, the police departments purchased special firearms that are painted a bright color, are blank-only. You would think that other police departments would have learned and adopted similar policies. No excuse for this. Blame goes on both the officer involved (not checking his firearm before proceeding) and the supervisor for not individually checking each firearm involved.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:09 AM

I never was a fan of these citizen academies. Years ago these were very rare. Yes the gun should have been checked and checked again. Very tragic accident to all involved. There were 34 citizens watching this. My guess is that this is the end of this citizen training.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
This was on the news this morning all the way up in Madison, WI.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I never was a fan of these citizen academies. Years ago these were very rare. Yes the gun should have been checked and checked again. Very tragic accident to all involved. There were 34 citizens watching this. My guess is that this is the end of this citizen training.
I had never heard of them.

I think they are a bad idea. Running around pretending to shoot people is an activity that should be restricted to military and police only.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had never heard of them.

I think they are a bad idea. Running around pretending to shoot people is an activity that should be restricted to military and police only.
These classes aren't meant to have citizens "running around pretending to shoot people". They are meant as an educational experience so that the general public can see what the police go through on a daily basis. Most of what the public knows of police action are what they learned from watching TV and movies. This erases those fictional notions and teaches the realities of real-world life. If more of the public knew of the reality of law enforcement, there would be less of the ridiculous "why didn't the cop just shoot the gun out of his hand" thoughts.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,330 times
There is a reason they make these.

This was no accident it was negligence plain and simple.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Punta Gorda police officer accidently shoots and kills woman during citizen training-image.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte