Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times

Advertisements

You asked...I told you. Bye.

Got a pet store in your neighborhood? Buy yourself a mouse and toss it in with your snake. It will constrict it (wrap around and tighten) and eat it. Racers do not do that...even though their Latin designation is Coluber Constrictor...which is a misnomer.

I'm done with this. I suggest you get yourself a field guide for identification; specifically, Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern United States, by Roger Conant. Then you will learn.

Last edited by rainroosty; 09-26-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I think learning is better than 'whatever'. Learning is good and much needed these days.
Agreed, but if there are those willing to learn (like posting questions on a forum), then there must also be those willing to teach.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I'd say you're right but, what is it you see that makes you so certain?
Thank you...and yes, I am right.

The dorsal markings are different and more numerous on the black racers. The snout length is well shorter in the racers. The eyes are way different in the young racers. The general 'H' saddles on the immature rat snakes. The marking going across the top of the head, from eye to eye, in the rat snake. The overall midsection shape "of a loaf of bread" in the rat snake, rather than rounded...for starters.

They don't actually look that much alike...just vaguely once you learn what the differences are.

Now, that little black racer that the original poster photographed - it will display much nervousness and act like a little angry brat...but a rat snake...even an immature one, will in very short time behave like a really cool little guy (or girl )

Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You asked...I told you. Bye.

Got a pet store in your neighborhood? Buy yourself a mouse and toss it in with your snake. It will constrict it and eat it. Racers do not do that...even though their Latin designation is Coluber Constrictor...which is a misnomer.

I'm done with this. I suggest you get yourself a field guide for identification; specifically, Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern United States, by Roger Conant. Then you will learn.

I went to the wildlife center and they identified it as a Juvenile Black Racer

Read the info and look at the pictures at this link

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetolog...ictor-priapus/

Since the description and pictures in my link clearly match the picture I posted and a Florida wildlife expert has identified it as a Juvenile Black Racer........and now let's add in the fact that none of the pictures on your link look anything like the picture I posted

I'm going to go with Juvenile Balck Race.

Thank you for adding to the discussion

FYI he never settled down striking and biting at any opportunity even when handled

Gary

Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Agreed, but if there are those willing to learn (like posting questions on a forum), then there must also be those willing to teach.
Yes, I do agree with you but I can also tell you that nothing will replace owning the field guide, reading it and studying it and then to go out on trips 'in the field' and make your own identifications and observations. Doing that has given birth to an awesome thing...casually referred to as "herping".

Do a search on 'herping'...

I was wholly interested in the field of study since I was a boy...so many great memories...and in the 80s
landed myself a position at a science museum, teaching people and school kids on their field trips about reptiles and amphibians. Fun stuff! Lol, some boys would completely freak out when confronted with a corn snake and then some girls would hold them and were just delighted!

As far as 'willing to teach'...I do regular searches on City Data for snake related threads and often answer them. My interest has always been focused on the eastern U.S.A..

Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of the Eastern United States: available at your local bookstores!
Author: Roger Conant...(current issues also have a co-author.) The illustrations by Roger's wife, Isabel, are superb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte