Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 36,997 times

Advertisements

Happy holiday fellow Punta Gordians, making my 1st road trip on xmas day eve to see the progress of my new home. No special road trip adventure , I95 is the plan, but looking for any suggestions for a safe trip. Leaving Boston at 10pm on 12/25 , headed for Fayetteville NC we get some zzzz,s. Then head for the Wyvern in PG for a few days. I'm a rookie so I welcome your thoughts thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:32 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Safe travels! Since most of your Day 1 travels will be Monday, the Gov. recognized holiday, travel shouldn't be too bad around Baltimore and DC. Once clear of those two metropolises, it's pretty much clear sailing until Jacksonville. Personally, I like heading on I-10 West around Jacksonville and then I-75 South. It adds about an hour to the trip but it seems that I always end up in a back up around Orlando.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:49 AM

21 posts, read 25,948 times
Default Also Driving South!

I'll be driving from Orange County NY to Port Charlotte this week also...Plan is to leave on Thursday afternoon and try and time it right getting thru the Washington D.C. area by 7pm on Thursday. I'd like to take 95 South, but very concerned about the traffic at that time around Washington and Fredricksburg. Was hoping to make it to Rocky Mount on night #1 Then day 2 straight to Port Charlotte.

My alternative is heading to 81 South thru PA, Maryland, West Virginia, then Virginia. Jump on 77 thru Charlotte and eventually back on 95 South near Columbia, SC area. This adds 75 miles to the trip vs. 95 South from NY, but I may end up ahead of the game with traffic...

I welcome any other suggestions...doing this ride solo, except for 2 dogs riding with me....rest of the family gets to fly in..lucky me.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
81 is a truckers route..I drove it once and preferred 95 over it...orange county ny to pc would be two night lay over for me..I don't like to push myself too much.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycjv View Post
I'll be driving from Orange County NY to Port Charlotte this week also...Plan is to leave on Thursday afternoon and try and time it right getting thru the Washington D.C. area by 7pm on Thursday. I'd like to take 95 South, but very concerned about the traffic at that time around Washington and Fredricksburg. Was hoping to make it to Rocky Mount on night #1 Then day 2 straight to Port Charlotte.

My alternative is heading to 81 South thru PA, Maryland, West Virginia, then Virginia. Jump on 77 thru Charlotte and eventually back on 95 South near Columbia, SC area. This adds 75 miles to the trip vs. 95 South from NY, but I may end up ahead of the game with traffic...

I welcome any other suggestions...doing this ride solo, except for 2 dogs riding with me....rest of the family gets to fly in..lucky me.
I've driven that route several times, from RI to Asheville, and RI to PGorda as well as Asheville to PGorda. Others may disagree, but the following route is a lot less stress. Truckers on Rt. 81 are not a problem, they know what they're doing, and there are truck stops along the way for gas w/o getting off in a 'town'. Even though there will be a little truck traffic on 81, it's much better than wrangling on Rt. 95S! Rt. 81 is a beautiful drive through the Appalachians, and has great places to stay on the way down. I rec. Country Inn & Suites in Carlisle PA off 81 which is about 1/2 way for you -- they allow pets and are immaculately clean. Days Inns have a 'pet room', omg .... it's where the state troopers bunk out with their dogs and it is disgusting. Hampton Inns do not allow pets.

Out of the Boston area, get on 95 to Rt. 9 in CT, and then over to Rt. 84 toward Scranton, pick up 81S outside of Scranton. You can hook up with Rt. 26S right near Asheville, then it's very easy to get to Rt. 75 all the way to PG. Saves a lot of stress on that route.

From Boston, you've got to figure it's approx. 19 hrs. to PG. So 9 hrs. per day + dog stops should be plenty for you. Rt. 94 is boring and dangerous as heck. Best of luck on your trip!

Old 12-18-2016, 10:21 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Safe travels! Since most of your Day 1 travels will be Monday, the Gov. recognized holiday, travel shouldn't be too bad around Baltimore and DC. Once clear of those two metropolises, it's pretty much clear sailing until Jacksonville. Personally, I like heading on I-10 West around Jacksonville and then I-75 South. It adds about an hour to the trip but it seems that I always end up in a back up around Orlando.
Agree I4 will be a madhouse this time of year with added Disney Traffic

Old 12-18-2016, 10:24 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycjv View Post

My alternative is heading to 81 South thru PA, Maryland, West Virginia, then Virginia
. Jump on 77 thru Charlotte and eventually back on 95 South near Columbia, SC area. This adds 75 miles to the trip vs. 95 South from NY, but I may end up ahead of the game with traffic...

I usually take that route, staying on 81 through TN picking up I40 to I75, this way I can stop in Marietta GA to see one son and his family.
This time of year I would be hesitant as you are going through the mountains and snow/ice could be a factor.

In summer and fall when I make the trek to NJ I take I 81 hands down over I 95

Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
The way I always go south from I95 (made that trip over 10 times in the past few years) is to jump on 295 west right before Jacksonville FL, short few miles then I 10 West, Then 301 South to right before Ocala, jump on I75 South from there all the way to PG.
Made the mistake of going I4 this past Feb at 4:30am it was still a mad house! Seemed to not make any better time than 301.
Oh, on 301 stay close to the speed limit through all the small towns. They LOVE speeders!
Be safe!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
The way I always go south from I95 (made that trip over 10 times in the past few years) is to jump on 295 west right before Jacksonville FL, short few miles then I 10 West, Then 301 South to right before Ocala, jump on I75 South from there all the way to PG.
Made the mistake of going I4 this past Feb at 4:30am it was still a mad house! Seemed to not make any better time than 301.
Oh, on 301 stay close to the speed limit through all the small towns. They LOVE speeders!
Be safe!
My route of choice as well. Have done this trip numerous times and this is the best route through Florida.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I've driven that route several times, from RI to Asheville, and RI to PGorda as well as Asheville to PGorda. Others may disagree, but the following route is a lot less stress. Truckers on Rt. 81 are not a problem, they know what they're doing, and there are truck stops along the way for gas w/o getting off in a 'town'. Even though there will be a little truck traffic on 81, it's much better than wrangling on Rt. 95S! Rt. 81 is a beautiful drive through the Appalachians, and has great places to stay on the way down. I rec. Country Inn & Suites in Carlisle PA off 81 which is about 1/2 way for you -- they allow pets and are immaculately clean. Days Inns have a 'pet room', omg .... it's where the state troopers bunk out with their dogs and it is disgusting. Hampton Inns do not allow pets.

Out of the Boston area, get on 95 to Rt. 9 in CT, and then over to Rt. 84 toward Scranton, pick up 81S outside of Scranton. You can hook up with Rt. 26S right near Asheville, then it's very easy to get to Rt. 75 all the way to PG. Saves a lot of stress on that route.

From Boston, you've got to figure it's approx. 19 hrs. to PG. So 9 hrs. per day + dog stops should be plenty for you. Rt. 94 is boring and dangerous as heck. Best of luck on your trip!
Dam, QC I thought I drove fast. 19 hrs from Boston to PG wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte