Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times

Advertisements

Since I grill a lot of steaks and chops,I thought I'd start a thread about grilling fish because I want to learn the best types of fish as well as techniques and recipes. What are your favorite species of fish to grill,and how do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
My opinion:

How:

Natural charcoal fire (HOT!). Long handle grill baskets (hard to find quality ones). Spray basket with PAM for grilling. Lift the basket away from the fish once in a while to prevent sticking. also squeeze a lime, lemon, orange, pineapple on it while cooking. Oh BTW grilled (fresh) pineapple goes great with fish!

Favorite spice and/or short marinade. One of mine:

https://www.vannsspices.com/spices/herbs-for-fish
Also Everglades Seasoning (light sodium/no MSG variety)

10 minutes per inch of fish (after a while, you can eyeball and finger feel doneness). Manage your temp by have a place to rest the fish if there are flare ups.

Favorite:

Anything that does not fall apart easy. Flounder not recommended. Pick your favorite. One of mine is whole pompano with a bit of salt and pepper and some olive oil or clarified butter.

Whole snapper, tilapia or Mayan Cichlid (fresh caught from our local ponds/canals is delicious). Sheepshead, triggerfish, tripletail, cobia. mmmm. Spanish mackerel are running right now in the harbor. They are made for the grill as they have high oil contact and crisp up on the grill. Don't freeze them! I am sure snook would be great but have not had the pleasure...

Salmon works well too. I like the fillet with belly flap as the fat in this part makes the fish taste great and stay moist.

Remember; opinions are like....bellybuttons. everyone has one...

Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Shark!.... Filleted or steaked.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Yum!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Interesting, filleted. Don't think I have ever had it that way will have to try. Now mako steaks, Yum

Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Redfish - grouper - mahi...
blackened, blackened, blackened...
now my mouth's watering...

Old 03-24-2017, 10:23 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Best and easiest fish for grilling is cobia with skin on. I marinate mine in Good Seasons Italian dressing for an hour or more in a Zip-lock bag, then place it skin side down on my hot charcoal grill and never turn it. When it's cooked, 20-30 minutes depending on thickness, the meat will slide right off the skin leaving the skin stuck to the grill. If it won't slide off the skin, it's not ready yet. Practically idiot proof. Anyone can look like a genius chef with this method.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Bonus: No BONES!

Old 03-24-2017, 12:19 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Interesting, filleted. Don't think I have ever had it that way will have to try. Now mako steaks, Yum

I wonder how you would cut that fillet from a shark ... LOL

Shark basically sucks and the small blacktips are the only ones edible IMHO. The texture is crap since they have no bones and a cartilage affair all throughout the meat. I tried grill, smoke, baked and fried -- you folks can have them all.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I wonder how you would cut that fillet from a shark ... LOL
With a knife

Small 4 footish blacktips are easy to fillet just like a fish. Bigger ones get steaked.

I cut off their heads off as soon as they are boated and bleed them out before throwing in the cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte