Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 AM

25 posts, read 69,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaHopeful View Post
I'm so glad I found this post as I've been researching FL for over a year now and have come up with some of the same areas as BacktoFL17. My husband and I are now retired and are looking to move out of CT. I basically have the same requests/concerns as BacktoFL17. I am looking at some additional areas as well (Bradenton (kinda iffy about this area). Any nice/safe areas in Sarasota that's not too expensive ($1400/mo Rental or $200K Buying). I also have Venice on my list (this is actually probably at the top of my list). Any additional info would be much appreciated. We're planning an exploratory visit in mid-May for about 2 weeks. Also, would like the pros/cons on living in a planned community (renting or buying). We will probably rent first unless we find an area we simply can't dream of living anywhere else then we'll buy right away.
I feel for you! We even lived in FL for 6 years before moving back up here but it's such a large state that we didn't even get to visit even a small tidbit of the state because we were always working and when we weren't working we were working on remodeling our darn house. Don't get me wrong, we had our fun that our area offered, but I just wish we would have went and explored a bit more! Now, that I'm "retired" , I'll at least be able to enjoy it more and explore it more especially since we're being pickier about the house we're looking for. We want one that doesn't need major remodeling (this is honestly the #1 reason why we're leaning towards building new) so we can actually enjoy where we live instead of working on where we live. I know that houses always need work, but it's mostly maintenance work, not totally gutting and remodeling work which is what we were doing to the house we lived in down there (just to be clear).

Anyway, I hope that you can find the information you're looking for! There is a plethora of information available on virtually every city in FL on here so I know it can be overwhelming. I've read through so many discussions on here about different areas that I've actually started a spreadsheet so I can go back to some bullet points about each area later. Haha! Best of luck to you on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 PM

295 posts, read 526,163 times
Hello All,
I am looking at the Gulf coast and just beginning my search right now. Looking at the Lee co , Charlotte co area, maybe further south. I would like some real opinions about rent and safety.
I am also a paramedic so I would be looking at a county EMS system for employment.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2017, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 102,213 times
Rent varies widely depending on what city or area you are moving to and whether you want a house, apartment or duplex. Also prices are much higher during season, and that will also determine greatly what you are paying if you are looking for an annual versus seasonal rental. If you could narrow your potential relocation to certain towns we could be of more assistance

Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,288 times
East Englewood is a pretty nice area, many nice homes and still many vacant lots to build on. It's between South Gulf Cove and the main area of Englewood. Only 10 minutes to the beach too.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM

If you find the natives too "backwards" or "rednecky" perhaps you should base your opinion off more than RYC or wal mart customers. Maybe even go back to whatever yankee town you hail from since it is so depressing here.

Say what you want about the south, but nobody retires and moves up north.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,807,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
If you find the natives too "backwards" or "rednecky" perhaps you should base your opinion off more than RYC or wal mart customers. Maybe even go back to whatever yankee town you hail from since it is so depressing here.

Say what you want about the south, but nobody retires and moves up north.
Exactly I wouldn't read to much into the response of a person with 5 posts lol

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
Hello All,
I am looking at the Gulf coast and just beginning my search right now. Looking at the Lee co , Charlotte co area, maybe further south. I would like some real opinions about rent and safety.
I am also a paramedic so I would be looking at a county EMS system for employment.

Thanks
There is a plethora of information on this site, you just have to weed through and ignore the ignorant comments and insults because they add no value to the conversation and quite frankly they don't really answer any of your questions. Those people are just trolls and looking to get a rise out of others and start an argument because they obviously have nothing better to do with their time. I started this forum because I wanted to get a better and truthful idea of where I can find safe neighborhoods in the areas I listed and I can say that most on here have been very helpful to me and I hope that you get the information you're looking for. So whatever you do, don't listen to the naysayers who have nothing but bad things to say about an area. There are good and bad things about every. single. city in the world which I'm sure you already know. It's just about finding a place where you feel you're going to be the most comfortable. I can't say what is going on in their lives to make them this hateful, but I can say we are all entitled to our opinions and sometimes​ we should keep those to ourselves especially if they add no value to the conversation and don't include any actual facts about the area. I'm sure we all remember the old adage that at least one of our authority figures used to say to us when we were kids, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"

Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to get down there to look around yet, but my advice to you is to take a trip down there first. Trust your gut on any areas you feel are unsafe, go into some local stores and talk to some locals face to face and ask them about the area. From my understanding, South Gulf Cove is a nice, safe and upcoming area. As well as Rotonda West, Englewood, Venice, Punta Gorda Isles, the Burnt Store Lakes neighborhood in Punta Gorda, Deep Creek in Punta Gorda, North Port if you're looking for some space. There are more that I kept seeing pop up in my very many hours of research, but those areas should be a good start. After you have your search narrowed down, you can go on to the local police website for a specific area and get more specific crime stats from there. Also, for sexual predator info, I use familywatchdog.us. On there, you can search a specific address or neighborhood or city and it'll generate all of the sexual predator within the vicinity and then you can even click on each one to see what the person did and you can even see a picture of them. I know I haven't been down there myself yet, but these are some tips I thought might be more helpful to you than just spewing insults.

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 02:35 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,807,897 times
Just re-read your original post and South Gulf Cove may be an excellent option for you. I know there are some on here who have recently moved there and I may be mistaken but I believe Pete aka MrSunshine has done some builds so may be able to offer some insight. We have been coming to SWFL for over 20 years, originally started in Cape Coral until some of the areas started to go down and eventually decided to build in PGI 3 years ago. Many beautiful areas to choose from, I'm sure you will find an area you will love. Come down for 2 weeks and enjoy.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Just re-read your original post and South Gulf Cove may be an excellent option for you. I know there are some on here who have recently moved there and I may be mistaken but I believe Pete aka MrSunshine has done some builds so may be able to offer some insight. We have been coming to SWFL for over 20 years, originally started in Cape Coral until some of the areas started to go down and eventually decided to build in PGI 3 years ago. Many beautiful areas to choose from, I'm sure you will find an area you will love. Come down for 2 weeks and enjoy.
Hi SeaRay35! I actually added SGC to a spreadsheet I made for when the hubby and I can finally do some city tours. The spreadsheet is now rather large and detailed along with cities mapped out to visit and the route we're gonna take. Tee he! Some say I have to much time on my hands... The problem I'm having now is that the list of areas to visit keeps growing and growing, but the time we'll get to spend driving around is remaining the same. Haha! I told my husband that my mom and I might just have to visit ourselves and leave him and my dad at home. Lol! He didn't think that was very funny though... Anyway, I CANNOT wait to get back down there! Just a few more things left to do on the house up here before we put it up for sale!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Ridiculous. I'm not even a "dude" and no matter WHERE you go there is drugs and people that have problems using them. But it's all in "the company you keep"! If all this person sees is methheads maybe they should change the characters they hang with. I've lived here my whole life and have never had an issue with junkies.

That being said I am a proud "redneck" since I find it useful and fun to know how to fish, hunt, operate a gun safely, and yeah maybe sometimes take the back road. So what!

As mentioned there are many affluent areas right in this area and IMO a thriving and safe environment. The water is beautiful and everywhere you look, shopping, restaurants, and at least here in Englewood an involved community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte