Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 PM

306 posts, read 387,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
I forgot to add that while south Gulf cove and that area technically has a port Charlotte address, it is much more part of englewood than what we consider port Charlotte.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. We're building in PC, SGC so, I guess that's a good thing, to be more like Englewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,218,688 times
I moved here six months ago. While I have a PG zip,I actually live a stones throw from Port Charlotte. Keep in mind that I'm still learning my way around here. PG definitely has an older population that the other areas you're looking at. The historic downtown in PG reminds me of small town living,which I like.

There are plenty of restaurants here,chains and independents. In season it is very difficult to get to any place quickly,which I think is the norm for Florida. I hear people complaining about taking an hour to get to a beach and I just chuckle,as I used to drive 20 hours to get to the beach.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy here and like every other place, it has its good and bad.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 PM

25 posts, read 68,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I moved here six months ago. While I have a PG zip,I actually live a stones throw from Port Charlotte. Keep in mind that I'm still learning my way around here. PG definitely has an older population that the other areas you're looking at. The historic downtown in PG reminds me of small town living,which I like.

There are plenty of restaurants here,chains and independents. In season it is very difficult to get to any place quickly,which I think is the norm for Florida. I hear people complaining about taking an hour to get to a beach and I just chuckle,as I used to drive 20 hours to get to the beach.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy here and like every other place, it has its good and bad.
Haha! The closest "beach" (if that's what to even call it) to us is Lake Erie and that takes us about an hour and a half. It's funny how people's perceptions of things differ. What I wouldn't give to be within even 2 hours of a Florida beach right now. We thought moving back up here to be closer to family was what we wanted, but as much as we love our families, sometimes a little distance is actually a good thing. Haha! We're excited to get back down there!

Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
we build homes in Rotonda, South Gulf Cove, Gulf Cove and East Englewood. And have done in PG, North Port and Deep Creek.

I am biased but I like Rotonda best then SGC. if you want to be on 'water' to (eventually) get on the gulf, then SGC is your place. if not then Rotonda is pleasant quiet and safe.

enough has been said about CC, NP and Port Charlotte.

for a new home pool and lot your budget needs to be closer to $400k these days (well for a decent house anyway)

Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
we build homes in Rotonda, South Gulf Cove, Gulf Cove and East Englewood. And have done in PG, North Port and Deep Creek.

I am biased but I like Rotonda best then SGC. if you want to be on 'water' to (eventually) get on the gulf, then SGC is your place. if not then Rotonda is pleasant quiet and safe.

enough has been said about CC, NP and Port Charlotte.

for a new home pool and lot your budget needs to be closer to $400k these days (well for a decent house anyway)
I've actually been looking in the Rotonda area as well. Like I said in my OP we're pretty wide open to many areas so that's another area I have on my list to visit while we're doing our "tour".

I'll also keep in mind that the budget needs to be closer to $400k. That might be pushing our budget a little past our means so we'd firstly have to get an idea of what our payments would be with taxes and insurance on a house that's $400k. However, I keep forgetting that we'll have a good sized down payment from the sale of our house up here I so it might be doable. If we wanted to build a MIL suite that's connected to the house through a breezeway, would something like that cost way more? I'm just trying to get an idea of what something like that would cost or if that would be way over our budget. If it comes between a MIL suite and a pool, I'd probably rather have the MIL suite. Less maintenance than a pool. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Taxes will/should be around $4k pa...insurance $1500

I actually designed a home with a MIL suite a while ago for someone, it wrapped around the pool and when MIL 'goes' it can serve as an extra bedroom/man cave. if only I knew what I did with the sketch !!!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Taxes will/should be around $4k pa...insurance $1500

I actually designed a home with a MIL suite a while ago for someone, it wrapped around the pool and when MIL 'goes' it can serve as an extra bedroom/man cave. if only I knew what I did with the sketch !!!
That's about what I was expecting for taxes and insurance. I was figuring in about $6000/year for both, so at least I was on the right track there, but that's also not figuring in flood insurance if it's required which would probably be around $2500/year if in a flood zone. I used to work in insurance when I lived down there but it's been a while so prices might have changed.

That design you mentioned is very close to how we wanted to design a house with a MIL suite, so I'm glad to hear that it can be done. It'll probably be about another year before we're ready to start moving on things. We've got some remodeling on our house up here that needs finished and then we'll finally be ready to put it up for sale. It honestly can't come soon enough, I'm ready to live in a house that we don't have to remodel and I can actually just enjoy living in it. I'll save all of this info so I can come back to it when we're ready. Thanks for all of the info, it'll definitely give us a better idea of what to expect/what can and cannot be done, if we decide to build new!

Old 03-25-2017, 02:08 PM

82 posts, read 101,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. We're building in PC, SGC so, I guess that's a good thing, to be more like Englewood?

Well, I mean if you are in SGC to go and do your normal errands you are going to go somewhere in Englewood rather than PC. It is quite separated from the city portion but definitely not far, once you cross the El Jobean bridge then that's what "I" start considering the PC area.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Flood insurance should be less than $1000

Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Flood insurance should be less than $1000
Interesting...It could have been the area I lived in at the time. I remember quoting people with Travelers (who was one of the few companies that wrote flood insurance policies at the time) and if the people lived in a flood zone, the price was always outrageous usually around $2500/year. However, that could have been the area and like I said it was quite a few years ago so the insurance industry could have very well/probably has changed. I just remember that flood insurance and sinkhole quotes were always outrageously expensive.

Just out of curiosity and speaking of flooding, how is the SGC and Rotonda areas as far as extreme weather goes? Has it ever flooded in either of these locations? I know no matter where you're at in Florida you can be hit by tropical storms and hurricanes so I'm not so much worried about those things than I am of an area that floods often. We lived about 7 minutes from Madeira Beach and were very lucky to not be in a flood zone or have any trouble with water coming into the house for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte