Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 10:15 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times

Advertisements

Jun 22, 2017

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. -- A Southwest Florida mother says she fueled up her new car at a gas station in Punta Gorda, but when she drove away, her brand new car started making all sorts of noises.

"My check engine light automatically came on and it was blinking," said Shea Louis after she fueled up her 2017 Nissan Altima at the Sunoco on the corner of US 41 and Burnt Store Road. "My car was very sluggish, it wouldn't go over 35 miles per hour, so it took a while to get home," she added.

Louis called the gas station immediately.

"They told me on the phone that I'm not the first person who has had that same problem with the gas," said Louis.

Her car needed to be serviced for two days.

4 In Your Corner called Sunoco's corporate office to see what was going on in that particular store. A spokesperson says once they caught wind of Shea's message, the gas station was shut down. They discovered the problem, drained the tanks, and fixed the issue. The Sunoco passed a state inspection and drivers that fueled up today had no problems at the pump.

Southwest Florida mother says she bought watered-down gas - Fox 4 Now WFTX Fort Myers/Cape Coral
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
At least it happened here in sunny Florida. I had it happen to me on a bitterly cold January day in Ohio several years ago. Nothing like seeing ice setting on the top of the carburetor!

Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Our neighbor got watered gas at the Sunoco at Port Charlotte Blvd and 41. Sounds like a issue with the distributor.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Here is a description of what to look for.

Drivers should listen for sputtering, backfiring or stuttering sounds if you fueled up with what turns out to be watered-down gasoline. There is no other way to know if your car needs service until about 3 to 5 miles after riding away.

"You can't tell until you drive away, there's no way of knowing, it's impossible," said Wynter.

The first call drivers should make should to be where you bought the gas from. If you don't follow this protocol, Wynter says it might cost you hundreds of dollars.

"Protect yourself on this, don't take it upon yourself to get the car fixed and then trying to recoup your loss on this because the chance of it happening are slim," he said.

SWFL drivers fear watered-down gas - Fox 4 Now WFTX Fort Myers/Cape Coral

Old 06-26-2017, 02:57 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
ok then, Sunoco is no go (literally)..got it..thanks for the tips..

Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
ok then, Sunoco is no go (literally)..got it..thanks for the tips..
Never got gas there luckily. That place always looks a bit shady. I always go to the nearby circle K next to Home Depot or Pilot or Shell.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:29 PM

At 3:00 PM today all the gasoline nozzles at the Sunoco 41 & Burnt Store Rd. were covered by white plastic.

Same as last week when they had water in the Gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte