Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
So there you have it. People with North facing say that is the best while people with South facing say that is the best.
That about sizes it up. Same thing can be said about best boats, cars, towns, restaurants, schools, humidity ,politics, etc. There's different strokes for different folks. I face southwest and we don't have a pool. Hot as hell back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Ours faces East, which seems odd to me. I actually like it, and for sure wouldn't want it facing West come August.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:45 AM

207 posts, read 260,587 times
South is fine in the summer as the sun is high in the sky. Most SW Fla. homes have a shaded patio. West would seem to be the killer. Next one I am going to try to find SE.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:13 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
our lanai faces East which I like. Early morning sun is great in the morning, especially through the Winter.
In the Summer the pool is shaded in the afternoon by the house, which makes it nice to hang out without getting too warm

Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM

82 posts, read 90,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
our lanai faces East which I like. Early morning sun is great in the morning, especially through the Winter.
In the Summer the pool is shaded in the afternoon by the house, which makes it nice to hang out without getting too warm
+1. Plus we had the builder add a covered porch on the front (west facing). Limits sun coming in the front windows and double door.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:38 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times
We have south and I love it. The lanai gives shade in the summer, along with ceiling fan. Lovely in the winter with the sun shining in. I don't sit out much in July and August, even in the shade. I swim and then head for air conditioning. We rented a house with eastern exposure and I hated it. the pool was in the shade at this house by 2 pm in Jan and Feb which made swimming cold. I want the warmth for winter months. But if you are a morning swimmer, you will not mind. I tend to be out by the pool afternoon to early evening and want sun then. You need to consider if you prefer it cooler or warmer when you sit out, and what time of day you sit out. But southern exposure gives you sun for your morning coffee and sun for happy hour. Or shade in the lanai.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times
In addition to the exposure, how close the pool is to the house and how high the house is a factor for north and east. Eastern exposure would not be that bad, imo, but the house we stayed at had a high roof and the pool was close to the extended lanai giving it too much shade for me in winter afternoons. Some days it was just to cool outside. Neighbors would be sitting in the front yard to get the sun. I've seen houses with pools positioned more to one side instead of directly begins the house to get more sun.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 AM

149 posts, read 140,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Our backyard is facing west/northwest.

Oh well, at least the pool will be warm!

Plus, we're having that electric hurricane shades installed so that can help too.
The electric hurricane shades are really cool! Are you getting the net shades that allow light... but block wind and rain? Those are ideal for the lanai...... love them!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM

207 posts, read 260,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llrivero View Post
The electric hurricane shades are really cool! Are you getting the net shades that allow light... but block wind and rain? Those are ideal for the lanai...... love them!
Could you tell more about them or provide a link please.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
My backyard faces east. Morning sun andnafternoon shade is nice. If thee sun is tonbright insit on my front porch andnhave coffee in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte