Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
There are times one simply cannot participate further. Another peek into your lack of knowledge and now the fan club has chimed in.

I see you picked up a new buzz phrase - J load calc ----

I have been a HVAC engineer doing small jobs like hospitals and schools for the better part of 40 years and never had any idea that an oversize AC system may not reduce humidity ... tip of the day I say and I'm going to spend that knowledge wisely ... LMFAO.

All the folks who like it hot - personal choice.

I'm done with you kids - have a nice day .....,
What do you think about two stage air conditioning? We had a two stage air conditioning system installed along with a new high efficiency furnace a couple years ago. The heat and humidity only lasts for a few months in Minnesota, but the two stage air conditioning does a much better job cooling and dehumidification than the single stage air conditioning in our experience. The system alternates between cooling and dehumidification. The heating is more uniform too, since the fan is continuously running, but usually at a very low level. The blower is continuously variable. How common are two stage air conditioning systems in Florida? After experiencing two stage air conditioning in Minnesota, I think it would be even better in Florida, where the heat and humidity lasts longer and is more severe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:29 AM

306 posts, read 391,160 times
Default Updated pics

Nothing dramatic to post, house is plodding along, which is fine by us, we're in no hurry.

Looks like they're about to put in the stem wall for the pool, drywall is pretty much finished, cabinets should be going in "soon".
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-poolwstemwallchannel.jpg   New home is coming along!-pool-dirt-stamped.jpg   New home is coming along!-0125181405.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
looks like you are having a tall island bar not a flat one piece ?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 AM

459 posts, read 585,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What do you think about two stage air conditioning? We had a two stage air conditioning system installed along with a new high efficiency furnace a couple years ago. The heat and humidity only lasts for a few months in Minnesota, but the two stage air conditioning does a much better job cooling and dehumidification than the single stage air conditioning in our experience. The system alternates between cooling and dehumidification. The heating is more uniform too, since the fan is continuously running, but usually at a very low level. The blower is continuously variable. How common are two stage air conditioning systems in Florida? After experiencing two stage air conditioning in Minnesota, I think it would be even better in Florida, where the heat and humidity lasts longer and is more severe.

2 stage is superior, hands down but with say a 4 ton system you will still be running over 2 1/2 tons on low stage. During dehumidification it is still running the compressor for cooling so the coil will condense the moisture but significantly reduces the air flow.

Problem with FL is it is down, dirty and cheap and most folks will not pay for the quality - it is expensive. I have only seen a handful of quality HVAC installs. Most all are done with flex and strung all over the place, not necessarily without sagging and lots of ductboard.. Contractors love to use boxed in returns, sometimes in supplies too, and branch out from them ... we call them ductoctopus!

The only difficulty with the staged equipment and very long run cycles is the overall efficiency is really skewed. People tout the high SEER but the real number is the EER which accounts for the total energy used in the process. For example you can easily have an 18 SEER unit but it will not be energy star certified because of the low EER ... needs to be 12 and most units will be 10.5 - 11, but high SEER. Mine is this way.

In FL you do not want you AH fan running continuous as the attic temps can be well over 120° and you will pick up heat in the duct system even though FL recently went to an R8. What you want is a long cycle time between starts and this is best accomplished by NOT over sizing the equipment or running too much air across the evaporator. However, it does need to be sized sufficient to handle the hottest day and coolest inside temp you want.

I just put a Carrier 5 stage Infinity system in my new home w/4 zones. It stages down to 25% and runs down to 1 Ton and 400 CFM. It does a good job on dehumidification but I also put a Honeywell DR-90 whole home dehumidifier in the system and it will take up to 90 pints a day out of the air. Great investment for $1,500 and it allows you to downsize your HP about 1/2 Ton and use the latent heat for cooling. You can also (with correct controls) not use the HP/fan coil as a dehumidifier and it will pay back pretty quick. The DR-90 only runs 200 CFM and can also provide some ventilation - excellent product.

Probably too much information but it will give the Rat some more buzz phrases to go with the Wikipedia text ...

Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM

Default I think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
looks like you are having a tall island bar not a flat one piece ?
Yes, I "think" that's correct, it's been so long I can't recall! So I went back to the diagrams and I believe that's correct.

Our thinking was that way, you don't see dirty dishes or pots sitting on the lower level, as the higher level blocks that from the living room.

My sister has a similar arrangement and we liked it. You do give up a larger space overall but, hopefully that's ok.

Your thoughts/opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-kitchen-island.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Yes, I "think" that's correct, it's been so long I can't recall! So I went back to the diagrams and I believe that's correct.

Our thinking was that way, you don't see dirty dishes or pots sitting on the lower level, as the higher level blocks that from the living room.

My sister has a similar arrangement and we liked it. You do give up a larger space overall but, hopefully that's ok.

Your thoughts/opinion?
We have similar in our newer home and love it. Upper area for stools and hides most of the things on the lower.
Hopefully we can keep this thread to your house

Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
personally I hate them, yes they hide cr@p you cant be bothered to put away but give me the flat 'party' bar everytime

here is a nice one we did for a client
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-img_4732a.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys for both your replies. I can see the appeal of either personally, the flat party bar, which we have in our current house, does give you more room, for parties and similar.

But, I really like having a place to put our bar stools also, which we already have and are very nice. So, we need to use em somewhere!

I also like having the bar at, well, bar height. For placing your drinks, resting your elbow and so on. And then, you can have your margarita mixer and fixins on the lower shelf and it's not as ugly as being on a flat surface.

So obviously, we went with the higher bar for reasons stated. Just a personal preference I spose. We'll let ya know in a few months if we still like it!

Old 01-30-2018, 05:25 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
New home is coming along!-317088a3-2a62-4936-9cdd-0c774db75385.jpeg

This is ours

Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM

190 posts, read 259,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Thanks guys for both your replies. I can see the appeal of either personally, the flat party bar, which we have in our current house, does give you more room, for parties and similar.

But, I really like having a place to put our bar stools also, which we already have and are very nice. So, we need to use em somewhere!

I also like having the bar at, well, bar height. For placing your drinks, resting your elbow and so on. And then, you can have your margarita mixer and fixins on the lower shelf and it's not as ugly as being on a flat surface.

So obviously, we went with the higher bar for reasons stated. Just a personal preference I spose. We'll let ya know in a few months if we still like it!
We'll just have to see once you're all moved in and have us over for cocktails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte