Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:47 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We just bought a house in Harbor Heights. It has no water softener. Will we need one?
Surprised we haven't talked about this yet throughout the purchase process. But no, you won't need one. You're on CCU water, which is decent and even drinkable just fine as-is. Is it as tasty or "fresh" as WI well water when that's what you've known for a lifetime, definitely not. I grew up with yummy well water as well, but it was VERY hard water. EVERYTHING yellow, including clothes, shower, toilet, etc... When I was 14, I bought my mom a water softener and installed it for her. Life-changing!!!! But down here you don't need one. But some people, depending on where they originate from, opt for an RO system for drinking water. Personal preference. We just used the fridge filter and changed it every 6 mos. Same thing out here with Englewood Water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I'm not worried about drinking water as I am about showering in hard water. You've seen my hair! I can't get a comb through it when I wash it in hard water!

Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
The water is not hard at all. It's softened through the treatment process at CCU. You'll be just fine :-) Think about all the places you've stayed when in PC, including our old house. Did you ever have a problem with the water and your hair?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 AM

No, only in PG.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 AM

82 posts, read 90,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Here's a link to the water quality reports so you can decide for yourself what you want/need https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/de...s/Reports.aspx
Thanks for the link to the water quality report. I compared the CCU report to our local water quality report and they are almost the same, at least within the federal limits.
I guess federal water quality standards are a good thing

Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Nothing extra added to our town water for us in Punta Gorda. We change the water filter in fridge every 6 months. No problems here. I drink bottled water as it's only about 10 cents a bottle. If I can pay 5 or 6 bucks a beer at Fat Point brewery I can splurge for 10 cents for a bottle of water.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM

112 posts, read 146,046 times
Default Do I need a filter / softener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Nothing extra added to our town water for us in Punta Gorda. We change the water filter in fridge every 6 months. No problems here. I drink bottled water as it's only about 10 cents a bottle. If I can pay 5 or 6 bucks a beer at Fat Point brewery I can splurge for 10 cents for a bottle of water.
You should try Peace River Brewing Company..much better beer At least for what I like.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Mechanically, you don't generally "need" one unless you're over about 6 grains of hardness. Then, that "need" is based on the detrimental effects to the household appliances more than pretty much anything else. Hard water will leave deposits on plumbing and water heaters, dishwashers, etc.

It's what I've done for forty years.....lol But, don't worry - nowhere near you, so if you have any questions, holler.<G>

Old 02-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Ours here in Wisconsin went out and we couldn't get it fixed for over a week. My black rubber spatulas are STILL white with lime.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:59 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Ours here in Wisconsin went out and we couldn't get it fixed for over a week. My black rubber spatulas are STILL white with lime.
Get you a gallon of pickling vinegar and soak them for 24 hours - that should remove the lime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: