U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 26,141 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I know there has a lot been written on here about the Sarasota area although I can't see much on Port Charlotte?

This is our position; my wife & I are are in our late 40s (young at heart) and our son is 23, we are relocating our business so we don't need jobs.

Looking for a nice area that is within easy reach of good facilities need some night life / bars for our boy plus are there any local soccer teams out there who need players?? For our son! he is a good player!!

Ideally would like a house on a canal/river we will probably rent for the first few months to get to know the area

We are visting the area for 10 days on the 3 April 2008 so all & any info would be great.

Many thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,949,526 times
I live in the Port Charlotte area and thought I could give you some help. My first question was about your job situation, but I see that you have that taken care of.

You would probably have to travel to Ft Myers or Sarasota for any kind of night life. There isn't a whole lot of night life in Port Charlotte other than maybe Gatorz or Fisherman's Village--Harpoon Harry's.

My daughter plays soccer for the Port Charlotte Soccer league. I'm not aware of adult leagues in the area but I will ask around at her next practice.

You might want to try this website: Rent Me Florida a discount rental service. they seem to have quite a few rentals.

Good luck and welcome to Florida!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 AM

27,235 posts, read 45,155,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I live in the Port Charlotte area and thought I could give you some help. My first question was about your job situation, but I see that you have that taken care of.

You would probably have to travel to Ft Myers or Sarasota for any kind of night life. There isn't a whole lot of night life in Port Charlotte other than maybe Gatorz or Fisherman's Village--Harpoon Harry's.

My daughter plays soccer for the Port Charlotte Soccer league. I'm not aware of adult leagues in the area but I will ask around at her next practice.

You might want to try this website: Rent Me Florida a discount rental service. they seem to have quite a few rentals.

Good luck and welcome to Florida!
I don't recall hearing of any adult soccer leagues, I'm afraid. Not in Port Charlotte anyway. Arcadia, sure...if you speak the language.

I used to hang out at Boomer's just north of Midway. But I preferred going on karaoke nights too.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM

321 posts, read 987,243 times
The new Buffalo Wild Wings in North Port is open late (1 am during the week, 2 am Friday & Saturday) if by night life you mean sports bar. If you mean live music and/or DJs with dancing, you will need to go to Sarasota or Punta Gorda, which are both 30 minute drives from North Port (city sharing a blurred border with Port Charlotte).

I am not aware of any adult soccer leagues either, but will keep my eyes open. your son could always start one, I'm sure it would be very popular!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks everyone we appreciate any info

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM

69 posts, read 227,892 times
Robin & Kate,
Sarasota is a great area full of fun and energy for all ages and there are soccer teams that play all the time in Sarasota. Great place for you and your husband to enjoy the arts and not far from Siesta Key Beach, which has been one of the Top 10 beaches in the world. I have lived in Venice for 9 years now (I tell eveyone I live in Venice and play in Sarasota). There's St Armands Circle, restaurants, plays, comedy, club, downtown market, free concerts (they even close of Main St one Friday a month) movies in the park, Ringling Museum with wine tastings on the grounds, the dog races, polo and I could go on and on. For activity this is where you'll want to be for both you and your son. I would be happy to give you the names of a couple rental companies if you wish. Contact me directly, I'd love to chat more about the area as I love it here!- Kim

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,669 times
Default Robin and Kate Re: Port Charlotte

Robin and Kate,

Noticed that you are relocating to the Port Charlotte area. I am a former semi-professional soccer player myself and I did investigate adult clubs in Port Charlotte (for your son) when I was there. Not much to speak of.

There is an Irish bar in Punta Gorda named Celtic Ray. The owner I believe is from Dublin, like myself. You could ask if they have a team that plays for the bar or your son could start one - usually the best way. There is also the world renowned IMG soccer academy in Bradenton - they could probably assist you more so than myself.

Just wanted to add that we have a vaction rental in Port Charlotte. The house is available in April. It is a brand new 3 bedroom 2 bath home with swimming pool in an attractive part of town. Port Charlotte Fl. Homebuilders rents the home out - the number is 1-800-305-8375 in case you're interested. They also have a web site index They can send you photos and rates. Just ask for the Stokes House On Cadillac Ave. Good Luck

Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 PM

Thanks mark

The pub team idea is a great one we have already got somewhere to stay next week but thanks for the offer.When we get out there (probably October) we will buy you a pint of the black stuff!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,800 times
What area is better Lakewood ranch or north port

Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM

3,178 posts, read 5,588,853 times
Better for who? There are a lot of folks on here that can provide great information on different areas, but they need more to go on than what your question asks. Better in what ways? Every area has their pros & cons. There is no "perfect" area for everyone. You also asked your question in a 3.5 year old thread. You might want to ask the question in a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte