Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boat responsibility and ownership
I have a boat 26 53.06%
I got rid of my boat 11 22.45%
I never had a boat 3 6.12%
I want a boat 14 28.57%
I do not want a boat 6 12.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Why live on a harbor or canal if you DON'T boat??

The view. Priceless. The view is better without the darn boat in the way.

The ability to sit on the dock at any time, for as long as you want, and watch wildlife along the water. You can see dolphins, pelicans, manatees, stingrays, snook, sheepshead, mullet jumping, bald eagle fishing, osprey fishing,herons and egrets, all from your own property. You can go out there at night, during windy weather when it's too rough to boat, early in the morning when you have a spare 10 minutes, evenings to watch the sunset.

Any given time you go out to the waterfront at the edge of your property and the water might be smooth as glass, or high tide rolling it, or a bunch of fish jumping. High tide or very low tide and they all bring something different to see, even from a dock.

You can fish off your dock and don't need a license.

You can watch July 4th fireworks from your dock and often get a great view.

No need for a boat because you already have the water at your back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 AM

112 posts, read 146,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You can fish off your dock and don't need a license.
Is there really an exception stating a license is not needed? If yes, do you have a link?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk9gs View Post
Is there really an exception stating a license is not needed? If yes, do you have a link?
Correction: Some people are exempt (under 16, 65 and up, disabled, military, etc). Anyone using a cane pole type setup (fishing pole without reel) is exempt.

If not exempt, need a saltwater shoreline license but it's free. However, if not exempt, need a snook permit(not free) if keeping a snook.

Not sure about out-of-state residents regarding the free license and exemptions.

FAQs: Shoreline fishing - License requirement

Different rules apply if fishing from a boat.

Last edited by sware2cod; 06-08-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 AM

112 posts, read 146,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Correction: Some people are exempt (under 16, 65 and up, disabled, military, etc). Anyone using a cane poll type setup (poll without reel) is exempt.

If not exempt, need a saltwater shoreline license but it's free. However, if not exempt, need a snook permit(not free) if keeping a snook.

FAQs: Shoreline fishing - License requirement

Different rules apply if fishing from a boat.
Thanks for the link. I forgot about the shoreline license.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 PM

306 posts, read 391,061 times
Had a lake boat, Wellcraft Eclipse 182 I bought as 2nd owner in 1997. The boat was solid and I kept it very clean, never needed a tow. Used it every summer (lived in IL) until last year when I sold it, in prep. to move down here.

Found a great boat on Facebook in the same neighborhood we built in, SGC, made the offer and got the boat. LOVE IT! Also the 2nd owner on this boat.
2011 Key West CC Sportsman. Handles the harbor/chop very well, feels incredibly solid. 130HP Evinrude ETec is strong, great motor.

I'll own a boat until I can't get physically get myself into it, I just love boats/boating. As I sit here and type I'm looking at it on my lift on the canal and just that makes me smile!

Yes, boats can be a hole in the water to pour money into but, that hasn't been my experience. If you maintain them, they last a long time, better than cars.

I also have about 7 Stand Up Paddleboards but, that's another story.....

Old 06-24-2018, 02:39 PM

202 posts, read 227,473 times
I have a small fleet.
23" Sea Chaser LX Bay Boat
18' Biddison Center console
17' Hydra Sports Center console

Old 06-24-2018, 09:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

I have a boat.

I got rid of my boat.

I never had a boat.

I want a boat.

I do not want a boat
I want a friend with a boat!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 PM

31 posts, read 38,051 times
I have a small fleet.
23" Sea Chaser LX Bay Boat
18' Biddison Center console
17' Hydra Sports Center console

Storm Lady,
How do you like the Sea Chaser? I am relocating to Port Charlotte (Spring Lake) later this week. After liquidating everything in Nashville (Home, Houseboat, Deck Boat, ect.) I have been looking at center console bay boats, and the Sea Chaser seems like a sound boat for the money. The owner reviews seem good for bay fishing and short trips pass the inlets. I would really appreciate your thoughts. How shallow can you fish and get up on plane? How is the ride in a chop (rough, wet, dry, etc.)?

Thanks...

Old 06-26-2018, 07:12 AM

98 posts, read 96,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTrigg View Post
Sea Ray Sundancer 50
I’m guessing you don’t live in a canal home.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
thats totaly possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte