Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 10,607 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been lurking on here for several months, reading questions and responses to learn about the area but have not found an answer to owning a boat I would like to keep onsite. I have learned Cape Coral have property restrictions on where and how you can keep boats, RV's, trucks, even sometimes cars. Does anyone have good info on whether you can keep a boat/trailer on your property in PG/PC? Also might as well go ahead and ask about cars, as I play with classics and sometimes when restoring or repairing one it may sit for awhile. Where I live now it is usually in the shop garage but I have 2200 Sq Ft and know I will have to downsize if we move to the area. I started looking at Cape Coral but restrictions and lot sizes have turned me more toward Port Charlotte. Any advice and information would be most appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Yes Cape Coral recently started restrictions on what can be on your property, but most of Port Charlotte you should be fine.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
As long as you're not in a deed restricted area (and there are many around), you're fine.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the information. So, I gather from what you say, there is no real restriction on parking a boat and trailer on your property. Back yard, side yard, on the front driveway all OK? Is there any time limits on parking boats and cars? I'm not a junky neighbor and my wife certainly isn't but I like to work on my own stuff and have three cars and a boat plus a ton of tools so getting everything under roof is gonna be tough.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:59 PM

67 posts, read 57,504 times
Take a look on google maps. You can zoom in on just about any street and see boats or motorhomes in yards and driveways in Charlotte county. There's no time limits. some of them never move. Just don't buy in an HOA.
You might want two lots for all your toys though.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 AM

207 posts, read 260,587 times
Your real challenge will be to find a house that has a garage. I mean a real garage that is big enough to work on anything and store some. Down here people call their 400 sq.ft. space with a 7' tall door a garage.

See the other thread about garages.

There are a lot of people moving down here now that are car guys and have a lot of stuff. I never parked my car in the garage up north but quickly found out why so many people park their DD in the garage down here.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 AM

31 posts, read 47,267 times
Been here in Port Charlotte now for 2 years in a deed restricted neighborhood but not all are obviously the same. In my development (SGC) there is not much for vehicle storage but found out from neighbors there are county rules and apparently people turn in others for code compliance issues - see the link below. From what I've seen the key is that the vehicle (car, truck, boat, trailer, motorhome) must be registered and operable to not get a violation. You can also search the violations to see what people are reporting.

https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/se...ompliance.aspx

Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM

378 posts, read 629,162 times
As Port Charlotte is not incorporated it operates under County rules. In a built up area in the County, not the rural parts, I believe that a boat must be parked behind a line from the front of the house to the property border on the side. In other words, not in front of the house. North Port has more rules regarding storage of RV's and boats although we have all seen RV's and boats in driveways in NP. Much of what you can get away with is determined by your neighbors and if your house is more isolated.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and info. This is what I'm looking for so I can be prepared when the time comes for house shopping. Wife has her priorities, kitchen, bathrooms, home age, pool, etc .... all good things to look for, but not really interested in lot size, garage size, boat storage. Those are my priorities, so ...... the adventure begins

Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM

207 posts, read 260,587 times
All of her priorities will be easy to find. Finding a house with a big garage is tough. It took me quite a while to find one with oversize 3 car and 8' doors on a double lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte