Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 68,946 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I lived in Rotonda West for 10 years (2005-2015) and had to relocate back to New England in order to try to find better employment. After being here 3 years we are ready to come back.

However, I am very sensitive to red tide. Every time we had a bloom I'd get bronchitis. With all the press and Facebook stuff about this latest bloom, I'm really scared to move back to Englewood. I'm afraid they are going to find some long-term health issues from being exposed to this (although that ship has probably sailed since I lived there 10 years ).

I just saw a report today that stated that southwest Florida has the highest rates of childhood cancer in Florida.

We are now thinking of moving back to the St. Augustine area as they do not get red tide over there.

Is anyone in the area thinking of relocating because of this? From what I'm seeing in the Facebook groups I belong to it's really bad and getting worse every year.

Just looking for some reports from those in the area of Englewood, Rotonda etc.

Thanks,
Lisa - Missing Florida something awful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
There have been reports of red tide smells drifting inland with the wind direction all over southwest Florida. If you have a known sensitivity, you should move well inland from the gulf of Mexico. Perhaps port charlotte or Punta gorda. I don't think red tide occurs in the fresh waters of charlotte harbor. The issue would be proximity to the gulf and easterly winds bringing the smell inland. The further away from the gulf you are the safer you'll be.

St. Augustine is a very nice area. I'd also consider Melbourne, Vero beach, and Jupiter on the east coast.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Thank you logybogy. We will probably settle on the east coast. I will miss the laid back atmosphere of Englewood with it's Caribbean blue water (without the red tide of course).

Old 08-20-2018, 11:15 AM

306 posts, read 391,061 times
Like loby said, check out Port Charlotte. We live in SGC, on a canal, behind the locks, no possibility of red tide in here. When it clears, we can be to Boca in about 1hr 15mins via boat, I love the quietness here and the serene, un-congested boating.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Dont believe everything you read on FB. I went out Boca to the gulf yesterday, no dead fish in harbor, 20-30 dolphins frolicking, minimal dead baitfish in the gulf and little to no smell. Red tide is naturally occuring with severity increasing with chemicals. There is alot of talk that Irma worsened the red tide this year. With that being said if you are highly sensitive you may want to look elsewhere.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM

I think that's the main thing. If you are highly sensitive and get bronchitis every time this happens, you need to stay away from the gulf coast.

This doesn't necessarily mean leaving the area. You can simply move more inland away from the gulf beaches out of the red tide zone or look towards the east coast.

One warning to you. While the east coast beaches on the Atlantic rarely get red tide, the lagoons and inland water ways on the intracoastal can get brown and blue green algae which can also seriously effect someone with sensitivities. Be very careful and spend a lot of time googling and researching wherever you move to.

And if you are very paranoid about it, select an inland property a way from the water and drive to the water when it's safe to do so. This is also much cheaper than paying a premium for water locations, especially on homeowner insurance.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 AM

I am doing a lot of research on the east coast as well. I'm aware of the blue-green algae problem over there. This time when I move down I'll be much more prepared and will have done my homework.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:47 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
If you have that level of sensitivity you should stay far away from this area. I’m still waiting for a regulatory agency to step up to the plate and conduct personal and area air samples of the affected areas.
Pretty sure I’ll be waiting a long, long time for that to happen.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:33 AM

191 posts, read 299,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
If you have that level of sensitivity you should stay far away from this area. I’m still waiting for a regulatory agency to step up to the plate and conduct personal and area air samples of the affected areas.
Pretty sure I’ll be waiting a long, long time for that to happen.
I agree with everything you're saying. For many years I too have been wondering when some sort of area air samples would be conducted. We live along the Whidden Bay area of the Peace River and there are just too many people who start having health issues whenever the Red Tide kicks into high gear. I've seen it over and over, respiratory issues and also noticing people getting weird itchy rashes as well. Red Tide abates and the problems disappear. I just don't know ... coincidence ?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:36 PM

It's like any allergen. It effects different people in different ways. Perhaps new residents should rent for a year before buying to see how it effects you. I wouldn't want to make a very significant life change and investment in buying a house and being miserable whenever there is a red tide, especially when there are other areas of Florida without the high risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte