Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 09:59 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times

Advertisements

Don't forget to check on Frontier Fios. They're not everywhere, but we have it in our neighborhood in Englewood (internet only, no TV because Comcast has some sort of monopoly through Charlotte County and Fios isn't allowed to broadcast tv--not sure how this is legal!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 10:08 AM

88 posts, read 111,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Don't forget to check on Frontier Fios. They're not everywhere, but we have it in our neighborhood in Englewood (internet only, no TV because Comcast has some sort of monopoly through Charlotte County and Fios isn't allowed to broadcast tv--not sure how this is legal!)
I called this morning and the only provider in SGC at least in this part is Century Link and all the offer is DSL with 10mbps download with a stipulation of “up to” meaning that’s the highest it will be but likely not the average. But the deal breaker for me is the less the 1mbps top upload speed which would all but render it useless for video conferencing.

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board for me

Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM

67 posts, read 57,523 times
Suncoast Broadband might work for you. Their coverage overlaps SGC.
We had something similar before and it worked very well. Had a receiver mounted on a tv tower that was wired to my router.
I don't know anyone in Florida that has it so I can't say anything one way or another.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:13 PM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
I checked lots of addresses to get an idea . . . . . it ranges from:

up to 3mbps in some areas (mostly south portion of SGC)

up to 100mbps in some areas (mostly north portion of SGC)

Can anyone confirm the "up to 100mbps"; is it anything close to that?

For me, anything around 40mbps would be super, I think.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
I can’t speak for SGC but I can say Century Link greatly exaggerates their speeds. WhenI looked into them in PG, speeds weren’t close to what they advertised for the area. Hopefully someone can give you some actual numbers.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM

190 posts, read 259,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I checked lots of addresses to get an idea . . . . . it ranges from:

up to 3mbps in some areas (mostly south portion of SGC)

up to 100mbps in some areas (mostly north portion of SGC)

Can anyone confirm the "up to 100mbps"; is it anything close to that?

For me, anything around 40mbps would be super, I think.
I live in the northern "sailboat" section of SGC and have CL's "Up To 25MBPS" plan BUT I have never seen anything above 10mbps down and .2 up. I have seen claims of 70mbps, but I don't know anyone who actually gets that. I do personally know several people who can't get anything faster than 4. A real problem is that Centurylink's system is not just outdated, but also maxed out. A common complaint here is people finishing a new house and not being able to get any service because the system is full. This happened to the build next door to me and to a friend a couple of streets over, one went with satellite and the other uses a Verizon jetpack.

If you need fast service I definitely would not build in SGC.

Daz

Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 AM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
Thanks Daz. I was hopeful that someone would say, "The northern section is great. Super-fast internet is available."

Perhaps CenturyLink will upgrade the area . . . . until then I'll look elsewhere. Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Two year old thread. Blue Stream Fiber is now in SGC.

https://sgc.bluestreamfiber.com/

Old 11-10-2021, 06:56 PM

1,152 posts, read 617,232 times
Yep, I’ve got a 500M blue stream fiber line for $75 a month. This problem is over now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte