Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:49 PM

39 posts, read 44,643 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking for some input advice on the possibility of having a duplex built in/around NP - PC area.

A bit of background info first. The wife and I are looking to relocate from SC to the gulf coast. Over the past several years, we have been vacationing in different areas throughout Florida. East Coast, West Coast, Keys, etc... We both love the Gulf side most and seem to like the areas from Sarasota down to Sanibel the most. We like Englewood best, as it's kinda the middle ground for that area.

One of the ideas I'm toying with right now is possibly having a modest duplex built, (2 or 3 br, per side) and living in one side for a few years while renting out the other side. Eventually (3-5 yrs later), we want to build our "dream home" on the water, with gulf access (without a 45 min boat ride).

Some of the land I've been looking at online in these areas are zone X.

I'm wondering what kind of $/sq ft costs this kind of project may run?

What do rentals in this area run?
Could this make a profit, accounting for higher taxes/insurance, etc...(once I move out and both sides are rented)?

Just kind of tossing around a few ideas. Considering land costs that fit what we want for our future "dream home" are pushing $70k and up, just thinking maybe using that kind of $$ towards an income stream and building our home later on.

Thanks for any input,
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:06 AM

98 posts, read 96,731 times
Are there lots in Englewood zoned for duplexes?

I’ve been watching the real estate market in Englewood for that last year or so and haven’t noticed any duplexes. There’s probably a reason for that. It’s either that it’s not permitted, it’s not financially workable or it’s just not desirable. I don’t know which, but I’d try to find out first.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post

I’ve been watching the real estate market in Englewood for that last year or so and haven’t noticed any duplexes. There’s probably a reason for that. It’s either that it’s not permitted, it’s not financially workable or it’s just not desirable. I don’t know which, but I’d try to find out first.

None that I have seen. The ones zoned RMF that I've been checking out are in the North Port / Port Charlotte areas.

Englewood / Cape Haze area is where we want to eventually live, but considering doing a duplex soon, living in one side and renting out the other for a few years and then building a home in the area we like and then we would have an additional income stream with the duplex.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post

I've sold 3 duplexes in the past 2 months. And yes, there are lots zoned for multi-family, primarily the first few streets off of and parallel to 776, and many in Rotonda.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I've sold 3 duplexes in the past 2 months. And yes, there are lots zoned for multi-family, primarily the first few streets off of and parallel to 776, and many in Rotonda.
Any thoughts on profitability?
any idea on average rents in those areas?

thanks

Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 AM

Profitability is 100% dependent on the owner and how they manage their business (and assets). Rents vary. 2br, 900-1,000 sqft, $600-750/mo. 3Br $700-900/mo. These would be annual unfurnished rents, not seasonal.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Profitability is 100% dependent on the owner and how they manage their business (and assets). Rents vary. 2br, 900-1,000 sqft, $600-750/mo. 3Br $700-900/mo. These would be annual unfurnished rents, not seasonal.
ok, thanks. That's about what I was thinking, I just wasn't too sure about the going rate for the area.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
There are RMF Zoned (Residential Multi-Family) lots in Englewood. Look on Anita or Pendleton.
Not many lots zoned RMF in North Port. There is one on Granada in Warm Mineral Springs.
Port Charlotte has RMF lots in several different locations.

These are Englewood duplex annual unfurnished rentals that have been leased out, just to give you an idea.
2 bed 2 bath on Pendleton, $850 a month, 856 sq ft.
2 bed 1 bath on Tacoma rents for $875 a month, 742 sq ft.
2 bed 1 bath recently updated on Tacoma rents for $950 a month, 742 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Anita rents for $1,000 a month, 880 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Pendleton, $1150 a month, 1008 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Gulfstream, $1150 a month, 924 sq ft

Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There are RMF Zoned (Residential Multi-Family) lots in Englewood. Look on Anita or Pendleton.
Not many lots zoned RMF in North Port. There is one on Granada in Warm Mineral Springs.
Port Charlotte has RMF lots in several different locations.

These are Englewood duplex annual unfurnished rentals that have been leased out, just to give you an idea.
2 bed 2 bath on Pendleton, $850 a month, 856 sq ft.
2 bed 1 bath on Tacoma rents for $875 a month, 742 sq ft.
2 bed 1 bath recently updated on Tacoma rents for $950 a month, 742 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Anita rents for $1,000 a month, 880 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Pendleton, $1150 a month, 1008 sq ft
2 bed 2 bath on Gulfstream, $1150 a month, 924 sq ft

Thanks for the input. I went online (Zillow) and checked out some of those lots you mentioned (Anita & Pendleton), strangely, they never showed up in my other searches. I normally put in "RMF" as a keyword when searching on Zillow, but those lots didn't show up in previous searches.

All good information. Hoping to get down that way sometime in July/August and maybe take a look at a few lots and talk to some realtors & builders to get a better idea on what I looking at.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm369 View Post
I went online (Zillow) and checked out some of those lots you mentioned (Anita & Pendleton), strangely, they never showed up in my other searches. I normally put in "RMF" as a keyword when searching on Zillow, but those lots didn't show up in previous searches.
That's the problem. Zillow doesn't know what "RMF" is. Zillow is an advertising site, nothing more. Use the public side of the MLS www.state27homes.com you'll find far better search results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte