Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 AM

390 posts, read 391,227 times

Advertisements

As an FYI - not all HOAs ban holiday decorations. As Ron mentioned, there are beaches in Boca Grande and Englewood but just a little further nice you have the beaches in Venice which are very nice, too. I agree with considering North Port and the West Villages area in addition to Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda as they have expanded greatly over the past few years. There's definitely a lot more to do in PC than PG, which is more of a sleepy town in comparison so it's really a matter of what you're personally looking for. For example, Port Charlotte actually has a true mall and a large assortment of chain restaurants as Ron mentioned. North Port seems to be getting a lot more national chain stuff along 41, too, whereas Punta Gorda is more quaint in a lot of ways. Definitely an older population with a lot of seasonal residents and visitors. I will PM you the name of a local mortgage financing company in the Bradenton/Sarasota area to the north of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 AM

264 posts, read 227,732 times
Well I can say that my husband wants sleepy...(PG) where as I want a mix of sleepy but not TOO sleepy....lol My concern is actually the house and lot size overall, etc. I'm really against reaching out of my house and being able to high five my neighbor...lol I'm not expecting acre lots but I don't want a postage stamp sized one either. Honestly, I'll be taking a trip down there for a few days to scout out some areas and see a variety of properties when the time comes.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 PM

You might also want to consider the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area to the south as well as you can get more for your money by way of housing costs. Also puts you closer to several beaches (Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva). Punta Gorda is really nice and has a lot going for it by way of charm, for adults at least. Not sure how teenagers feel about it. But that is true for most of this area. But if you're looking for something with a small-town feel, PG is definitely a good choice.

If you don't specifically have to live in one city or another to be convenient to work, it's definitely a good idea to check out all your options when you come down and see if anything feels more like "home" over another area. My 3 favorite places in PG: Fishermen's Village, Harborwalk Scoops & Bites, and the Celtic Ray.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
You might also want to consider the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area to the south as well as you can get more for your money by way of housing costs. Also puts you closer to several beaches (Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva). Punta Gorda is really nice and has a lot going for it by way of charm, for adults at least. Not sure how teenagers feel about it. But that is true for most of this area. But if you're looking for something with a small-town feel, PG is definitely a good choice.

If you don't specifically have to live in one city or another to be convenient to work, it's definitely a good idea to check out all your options when you come down and see if anything feels more like "home" over another area. My 3 favorite places in PG: Fishermen's Village, Harborwalk Scoops & Bites, and the Celtic Ray.

Thanks for the tip. I've heard of Fishermen's village so I'll definitely be checking that out.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,855,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've heard of Fishermen's village so I'll definitely be checking that out.
When you're at Fisherman's Village, be sure to check out downtown PG too. Lots of nice bars and restaurants, AND shops. There are also several events right downtown at that grassy lot. Seafood festival, boat shows, arts and crafts show, today is a country music festival with headliners Confederate Railroad and Joe Diffie.
As far as things to do, if you're into the mall and chain restaurants as someone mentioned and having to drive everywhere, then PC is for you. If you're into NON-chain restaurants and shops you can walk to and things to do other than shop at a mall, then PG is for you. IMHO of course

Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM

These might help you get a better idea of PG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0SwqAWStQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cHriZR0sU

Old 04-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Lot size depends on your funds available and what you want the lot to include. Do you want Water Front? Power Boat or Sailboat? There is a difference.. Maybe Tip Lot? Do you desire 10 minutes from Harbor or 90 minutes from harbor. Not sure I would actually describe PG as sleepy.. That said , most water front neighborhoods tend to be sleepy because 90% of the owners are retired or snowbirds or occasional visitors .. Burnt Store Maine is Very Nice Too, actually For Some insist its nicer than PGI.

I don't think waterfront is necessary as long as we can find a house with a pool. I'm considering Englewood and Venice as well.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 PM

110 posts, read 92,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
Hi All. I'm new to the PG, PC board and am looking for some advice. I recently discovered the Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda area as one that may work well for our family however I am more familiar with the east coast of the state. I'm trying to find out if anyone can point me in the direction of specific areas where I should begin my search. Currently, we live in CT but are planning a move down to FL sometime in the fall (I promise we are not stuck up northerners...lol and will be perfectly happy adjusting to how life is down there already ). It's time to escape these cold winters for good and we have family/friends down there as well. We're looking to rent a single family home at first with as much yard as we can get and hopefully a pool if possible. We have 2 teenaged sons in high school so need a decent school. We love the beach but there doesn't really seem to be a beach in this area. How far and where is the closest beaches? Are there any particular areas I should be looking at where the community is smaller but convenient to larger areas, shopping, beach, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please and thank you!
If you are not an elderly conservative with backwards views in life,i would avoid most of the West Coast of FL,it's a big retirement area with Charlotte and Sarasota counties having one of the oldest population in the country,with 2 teenagers i would look into Tampa/St Pete (city limits), most teenagers that have been forced to live in the SWFL area by their Parents/Grandparents can't wait to turn 18 to move away (most do),Most beaches will be 45 minutes to an hour away even if you live close to either coast...

Old 04-11-2019, 12:31 AM

102 posts, read 102,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLiberal View Post
If you are not an elderly conservative with backwards views in life,i would avoid most of the West Coast of FL,it's a big retirement area with Charlotte and Sarasota counties having one of the oldest population in the country,with 2 teenagers i would look into Tampa/St Pete (city limits), most teenagers that have been forced to live in the SWFL area by their Parents/Grandparents can't wait to turn 18 to move away (most do),Most beaches will be 45 minutes to an hour away even if you live close to either coast...
I'm not a conservative or a liberal but you are completely wrong on this it's too funny. First off, what teenager in any area of the world doesn't want to move away from where they grew up/their parents are when they turn 18? News flash that's just the way teenagers are regardless of where you live. As far as being close to the beach, you've got to be joking. I'm in SGC and from where my driveway is to the Boca Grande bridge is 8 minutes(actually timed) from there just pick which beach you want to go to.

All of Florida has a big retirement community, not just the area's you mentioned. That's kind of what FL is known for. Having a difference of opinion is fine but turning stuff political with not facts is just stupid....

Old 04-11-2019, 04:54 AM

64 posts, read 70,074 times
The party of Tolerance strikes again lol. It's amazing how poltics has taken over some people's lives. Eco...."lighten up Francis"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte