Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 AM

264 posts, read 229,797 times

Advertisements

Ok, ok...no hijacking my thread! lol I admit that I am not a conservative but I am also not necessary a liberal either. With that said, I keep my politics to myself for the most part as long as others do the same. Anywhere in FL will have large swathes of retirement communities as it's...well, Florida. My sons will only have 1 and 2 years left of school respectively by the time we get down there and my older son plans (at this point) on going into the military when he graduates so he'll be leaving the nest regardless. It's not so much the age of the population as it is quality of life. I'm in my early 40's and tend to be a homebody so I don't need sprawling nightlife or any of that to be happy. If my kids choose to leave when they're old enough then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,143 times
We are in Tampa and can't wait to get out of here. It's a great city, but traffic is horrendous, home prices for what you're getting...yeah. St Pete is nice for visiting, but we want pretty much the same as you guys and trust me it's not there, unless you have a huge budget. If you want a house that has last been updated in the 60s, 1300sq, mostly 3 bdr homes, and I believe one good school zone, St Pete is for you. We love the beaches there and were just looking again in that area and just can't find what we want. We don't need all the bells and whistles in a home, but I am not going to spend 350K+ just to have it completely renovated. If you want to get a feel for the attitude of the people living in the Tampa area, well you got it with the earlier comment. We're looking into the the same area and also north of Tampa. Good luck to you, please update!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyq16 View Post
We are in Tampa and can't wait to get out of here. It's a great city, but traffic is horrendous, home prices for what you're getting...yeah. St Pete is nice for visiting, but we want pretty much the same as you guys and trust me it's not there, unless you have a huge budget. If you want a house that has last been updated in the 60s, 1300sq, mostly 3 bdr homes, and I believe one good school zone, St Pete is for you. We love the beaches there and were just looking again in that area and just can't find what we want. We don't need all the bells and whistles in a home, but I am not going to spend 350K+ just to have it completely renovated. If you want to get a feel for the attitude of the people living in the Tampa area, well you got it with the earlier comment. We're looking into the the same area and also north of Tampa. Good luck to you, please update!
We have pretty much narrowed down the general area to between Sarasota and Englewood with Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda & Englewood as the main search area. Tampa is too big for me and St. Pete is too expensive.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 AM

139 posts, read 129,352 times
Once the Sunseeker resort is finished there will be a sizeable increase in traffic and a few other elements.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToRelax View Post
Once the Sunseeker resort is finished there will be a sizeable increase in traffic and a few other elements.

Which area is this in?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:11 AM

390 posts, read 397,502 times
Sunseeker is being built at the edge of Port Charlotte, just before the bridge to Punta Gorda, along the water. As with any development, there will be an increase in traffic. As soon as vacant lots are built on, people will move there and traffic will increase anywhere in the area so I don't know why Sunseeker is being mentioned.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
Sunseeker is being built at the edge of Port Charlotte, just before the bridge to Punta Gorda, along the water. As with any development, there will be an increase in traffic. As soon as vacant lots are built on, people will move there and traffic will increase anywhere in the area so I don't know why Sunseeker is being mentioned.

I suppose it's good to know since that's the general area we're shooting for with our move. Is it a hotel resort of some sort? This is what happens when you're 1500 miles away...lol

Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Hotel and extended-stay suites: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...nseeker-resort

Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but where this is being built has looked to me like blight in that spot for years and I personally am happy that they are going to be putting something other than rubble there. Not sure if this will work for you or not, but here's a ground look at what's there pre-Sunseeker: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.9532...7i16384!8i8192

A lot of people seem to be against this whole project but I feel that anything that brings tourism ($money$) to the area is a good thing and even better when it's covering up what I would say is nothing more than an unsightly blemish to the area. The PG side of the bridge is nice and developed looking whereas you drive across 41 to PC and it just looks run-down. Because it's close to the bridge, I think it will actually eliminate some traffic because people staying there could technically just walk or ride a bike across the bridge and head right into downtown Punta Gorda so all the businesses there benefit, too. Hmmm...maybe I should go anti-Sunseeker just to make sure I don't get crowded out of my favorite restaurants. Don't move or visit here! Traffic!

Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM

LOL....all I saw in the pic was palm trees but I'm ok with that! I'm actually not familiar at all with the area. I'm familiar with the east coast of FL but my husband's condition for moving down to FL was that he had to be on the side of FL that had the "pretty blue water" so west it is for us. I can fit it in pretty much anywhere and this general area seems to fit the bill for not too big and busy but with easy access to major shopping, etc. And yes, I agree with you that whatever brings in money and makes it look better is always a plus.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Sorry, it's a map link which ideally should let you make a 360-degree spin around the area. Between the palm trees and the water lies nothingness, piles of large concrete chunks. It ain't pretty. You leave nice Punta Gorda, drive over the glistening water, and then get an eyeful of rubble and a gas station and then a bunch of run down strip malls along the way. Don't get me wrong, the areas on either side of 41 there in Port Charlotte seem decent enough and turning off and going towards the Animal Welfare League building is very nice, but that's about it. The Punta Gorda side is beautiful right there at the bridge while the Port Charlotte side leaves a lot to be desired so I was happy to hear that something decent looking would be going in there. That area could definitely use a little injection of life.

Definitely more to do as far as shopping and restaurants in Port Charlotte but if you live in Punta Gorda it's all easy to get to from there. Port Charlotte has more of a sprawl-like feel to it due to its size whereas Punta Gorda has more of a small town, "community" feel and a more laid-back vibe where the Celtic Ray is Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte