Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 17,349 times

Advertisements

Greeting all,

My family and I are working to relocate to the area by end of the year. Everyone is telling us that Punta Gorda is the place to be. I will be working in Port Charlotte. We are a younger family with a 10yr boy and 7yr girl. Safety, academics, and sports are priorities for our children. My wife has a little concern of Punta Gorda due to all the press of being a great “retirement” place.

I am seeking feedback on her concern and if there are some other nearby cities (within 45 minutes to Port Charlotte) which we should consider? I’ve read some old forums, and some people mention Venice or Fort Meyers. I have no idea. Fire away.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 08:23 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Englewood and North Port are great for younger families. Lots of them here! Florida as a whole is considered a "retirement place" but to the surprise of many, yes, there are LOTS of families here too! You'll get the best bang for the buck in North Port/West Villages or East Englewood, and there is an abundance of families (myself included with a 10yr old).

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
PG is a great town but yes it is predominantly retirees and snow birds. I will say that they do things to promote youth engagement.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
I would not want to raise a child in Fort Myers
In Venice they might find someone 60 years older :-)

I think the NP/Englewood idea is a good one

Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The best schools will be in Fort Myers or Cape Coral but the commute would be a killer. North Port is your best option when factoring the remaining criteria.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Fantastic feedback, thank you to all who participated and any forthcoming responses. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of PG support. There seems to be a large agreement on North Port and Englewood. Thank you for giving us another option to consider!

Glad to learn the commute from Fort Myers and Cape Coral would be too extensive because we were learning towards that direction, and I need to be very involved with business and ability to commute fairly easily. I've been working in the Houston, TX area for the last several years resulting in a a belly full of traffic .

Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM

We like new developed areas (new stores, new homes, etc.). Where would be good areas within North Port to search for homes? Thanks again for all the help. It is so helpful being able to plan better using everyone's local experience.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaherg View Post
We like new developed areas (new stores, new homes, etc.). Where would be good areas within North Port to search for homes? Thanks again for all the help. It is so helpful being able to plan better using everyone's local experience.
For newer communities, I'd go with the West Villages, between North Port & Venice. Not sure what your budget is, but communities popular with families include Stoneybrook, Grand Palm (they even have a waterslide at the pool), Gran Paradiso, Islandwalk and Sarasota National.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
For newer communities, I'd go with the West Villages, between North Port & Venice. Not sure what your budget is, but communities popular with families include Stoneybrook, Grand Palm (they even have a waterslide at the pool), Gran Paradiso, Islandwalk and Sarasota National.

Thank you for your guidance!!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaherg View Post
Fantastic feedback, thank you to all who participated and any forthcoming responses. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of PG support. There seems to be a large agreement on North Port and Englewood. Thank you for giving us another option to consider!

Glad to learn the commute from Fort Myers and Cape Coral would be too extensive because we were learning towards that direction, and I need to be very involved with business and ability to commute fairly easily. I've been working in the Houston, TX area for the last several years resulting in a a belly full of traffic .
I live in Punta Gorda and have been here now for three years. I’m almost 65 going on 18 if you know what I mean, and I find the vibe here to be very much “senior oriented”. I can’t put my finger on it except to say that when I’m out and about the vast majority of people I see (year round) are senior citizens. For the record, we didn’t know this when we moved here. Not complaining just stating facts. PG is a nice, safe community where the pace is pretty slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte