Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 22,778 times

Advertisements

Were going to try Alligators Bar / Cafe in Port Charlotte. Can you tell us if the food is any good and I google map it and it shows its on a canal.. Will there be seating by the canal and can we really see alligators swimming? Also, never had alligator burger? Any good? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,529 times
Where is it? I live here and have never heard of it. Do you mean Gatorz? That's in Port Charlotte, but it's not on a canal. Can you be more specific? I've also never had an alligator burger. Gator BITES, yes.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Yes, thanks Mrs Cool..
Yes, in Port Charlotte and YES, it is called Gators. Im not sure, what you mean about the alligator bites. I heard they have an alligator burger or sandwich? Its all new to me too. Please, if you have any info on this cafe / grill it would be greatly appreciated? Plop plop fizz fizz!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:33 PM

1,046 posts, read 750,280 times
There is also the Alligator Creek Bar & Grill (formerly Callaloo's). It is on the south end of Punta Gorda along Alligator Creek and there are places to tie up, though it would be tough to bring in a bigger boat. Food is just average but the live entertainment is pretty good. 5500 Deltona.

Yes there is an occasional alligator there, but rare. We have seen bottlenose dolphin and manatees kayaking there though.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,794,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
There is also the Alligator Creek Bar & Grill (formerly Callaloo's). It is on the south end of Punta Gorda along Alligator Creek and there are places to tie up, though it would be tough to bring in a bigger boat. Food is just average but the live entertainment is pretty good. 5500 Deltona.

Yes there is an occasional alligator there, but rare. We have seen bottlenose dolphin and manatees kayaking there though.
Sorry, but have yet to hear food is even average. Have not heard 1 good comment on food yet. People do like the cold beer and entertainment though.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:48 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,529 times
Twowilldo, mr.cool said the same thing. That maybe he/she meant Alligator Creek bar & grill. Sounds like they meant Gatorz though.
Jay, we've been to Gatorz many times. It's your typical Florida dive bar, BUT there's a big Packer contingency that watches games there. The booths are even green and "gold". It's not on a canal though, and the only gators you'll see is the two fake ones inside. As per "gator bites", it's one of their appetizers. It's deep fried chunks of alligator. There's no alligator burger on the menu.
They have bands on the weekend in the back portion, and sometimes a single guy playing in the main bar area. Go check it out! That's the only way to see if it's your kind of place. If you're into this kind of place, check out Chubbyz across 41 too. They ARE on a canal, if you go to the outside bar in back. No one can guarantee you will see an alligator though.
SeaRay, been to Alligator Creek Bar & Grill by boat too, not a lot of room to dock. Food was definitely average, although in their defense we did show up with about 20 people on about 8 boats and we didn't warn them. Oops. Our bad....

Old 02-08-2020, 08:49 AM

Yes, and yes.. mrs cool.. so very helpful
The Gatorz bar and grill and its in Port Charlotte on US 41 with Z in spelling.. We got mixed up - We google map and see canal and think its close but its not. We have never tried the alligator deep fried chunks that you speak of. Gatorz on 41 in Port Charlotte will be our next place to try out. Do they offer a free sample of the Gatorz chunk? Can anyone really say?
And, what does a Gatorz port charlotte Alligator deep fried chunk or bite taste like?
Thank you , Jay and Nancy

Old 02-08-2020, 09:18 AM

4,691 posts, read 2,559,361 times
Quote:
what does a Gatorz port charlotte Alligator deep fried chunk or bite taste like?
chicken..hey, somebody had to say it..

Old 02-08-2020, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 70,096 times
I've had gator a few times....not a huge fan. Granted it was after a few beers. Does remind me of chicken lol but the consistency was a little tougher

Old 02-08-2020, 10:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,958,717 times
There's also Nav-A-Gator just NE of PC in Lake Suzy. It's "old Florida" back there and they have airboat & kayak tours. Being up river, you just may spot a gator up there. Cool place

I LOVE gator bites, but it's pricey and we've have had some really bad ones (if the first one is dark, tough & chewy, I send the basket back). I'm not paying $12 for 8 crappy nuggets. Young, tender gator is best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte